The Manchester United Thread

While I get that transfers take time, we do need to stop messing around and get them done. Get AwB and Bruno Fernandes over the line, and that's half the job done. Add a CB to the mix, and it's a decent summer, with a RW making it a good one.

The longer we delay, the more other clubs may decide to make a move on, increasing the price. Need to learn atleast that from RM, who don't dither around with transfers.

Also, at the risk of sounding repetitive, this policy is reminding me more and more of Arsenal's policy under Wenger, where they tried to low-ball their way (unsuccessfully) through transfers, overpaid for useless stars and kept them on higher contracts, while expecting the market to stay where it was a couple of years ago. Oh, and have what-ifs I mean, it's 50 Mn, and for a RB who solves a major problem in the side, keeps Young in the dressing room and massively improves us. If that's not worth it, I don't know what is.

While I get that transfers take time, we do need to stop messing around and get them done. Get AwB and Bruno Fernandes over the line, and that's half the job done. Add a CB to the mix, and it's a decent summer, with a RW making it a good one.

The longer we delay, the more other clubs may decide to make a move on, increasing the price. Need to learn atleast that from RM, who don't dither around with transfers.

Also, at the risk of sounding repetitive, this policy is reminding me more and more of Arsenal's policy under Wenger, where they tried to low-ball their way (unsuccessfully) through transfers, overpaid for useless stars and kept them on higher contracts, while expecting the market to stay where it was a couple of years ago. Oh, and have what-ifs I mean, it's 50 Mn, and for a RB who solves a major problem in the side, keeps Young in the dressing room and massively improves us. If that's not worth it, I don't know what is.

I get them wanting to get the best price, but if 50m up front is what it takes, given that we've had two bids knocked back, just do it now

I can see us using Dalot as the RW a lot more in rotation with Lingard rather than a RB. Especially with a new one coming in and Young as back-up.

Wohooo :) 2+1 deal

We can confirm Juan Mata has signed a new contract with #MUFC.

Juan Mata 2-year contract @ManUtd with option for another year confirmed. JM: "Real honour to continue to represent this amazing club and our incredible fans. I am proud to call Old Trafford my home. The vision (OGS has) is truly exciting. I'm so happy I will be a part of that.”

Last edited:
Wohooo :) 2+1 deal

We can confirm Juan Mata has signed a new contract with #MUFC.

Juan Mata 2-year contract @ManUtd with option for another year confirmed. JM: "Real honour to continue to represent this amazing club and our incredible fans. I am proud to call Old Trafford my home. The vision (OGS has) is truly exciting. I'm so happy I will be a part of that.”

I'm sure someone will justify this but how does Mata deserve a new deal ? He has been on a slippery slope and was very ineffective last season. I don't want to moan too much but we are literally keeping everyone, where is the clearout that was supposedly needed? I'm not going to keep on about it because it will just wind some people up, but I don't get this. Yes he's a great guy but as a player just doesn't suit the PL anymore.

Last edited:
I'm sure someone will justify this but how does Mata deserve a new deal ? He has been on a slippery slope and was very ineffective last season. I don't want to moan too much but we are literally keeping everyone, where is the clearout that was supposedly needed? I'm not going to keep on about it because it will just wind some people up, but I don't get this. Yes he's a great guy but as a player just doesn't suit the PL anymore.

Mata is among our more creative players when played through the middle. That, and he is also a utility player, covering multiple positions, is happy with a squad role, doesn't complain, is a professional and is a very good influence around the dressing room (which is vital). Oh, and also good friends with DDG, who we need. And, not to mention, to replace him during a time when fees are inflated and we have a rebuild is a pain. This way, Gomes can slowly be eased in the squad also, learning from Mata.

As for the clearout, we are looking to get rid of Darmian, Rojo (I hope, despite stuff he says), Valencia is already gone, and we want to get rid of Sanchez (which was always tough considering his fees). I honestly don't mind keeping Mata, excellent squad player. The problem was that we were starting him all to frequently, like Young, and on the wings. That will hopefully change with our current transfers.

Also, zZ, we, as most clubs do, are aiming for a transition. A clearout invariably tends to cause problems. A transition is more gradual, but more beneficial.

Meh, don't know about a transition... every season seems like that for us right now because we keep on sticking with this same crop of average players. What we need is a clearout but as with all the recent contracts have shown... we're not going to do it. Even players like Matic should be moved on, just don't see what he offers anymore. I agree with you about incomings though, we need to get a move on and I sincerely hope that our RW next year isn't solely on James. With the extension of Mata and Lingard one assumes we won't be getting another RW which is very disappointing if not. James is competition for places, mores than a starter right now... especially with Martial on the left.

Meh, don't know about a transition... every season seems like that for us right now because we keep on sticking with this same crop of average players. What we need is a clearout but as with all the recent contracts have shown... we're not going to do it. Even players like Matic should be moved on, just don't see what he offers anymore. I agree with you about incomings though, we need to get a move on and I sincerely hope that our RW next year isn't solely on James. With the extension of Mata and Lingard one assumes we won't be getting another RW which is very disappointing if not. James is competition for places, mores than a starter right now... especially with Martial on the left.
I dunno. We have Smalling and Jones for backup at CB (which we need, considering injuries). Tuanzebe will most likely be on loan this season, to taking over from one of those two next season. At FB, we will only have Young as the older option, and considering he will be backup and can play both sides, it's good. At CM/CDM, Matic is getting on, and I think we will be looking to replace him, either this time or the next season. Pereira, I don't know what's his situation, honestly. Up-top, we are pretty lean anyway. We don't particularly have too much deadwood, other than the ones I mentioned in my previous post. Sanchez, yes, but don't think any club will want him. We don't need to clear out too much, but it will cost a pretty penny to replace them in this window. Other than the obvious improvements we already need.

He suits the 4-3-3 we will play. He's a brilliant part of the backroom which we absolutely need if we're going to have loads of young players. They want him as an ambassador too, which suggests he's also going to retire here. He wasn't never part of the clear out either. You wanted him gone, which is decidedly not the same thing.

I dunno. We have Smalling and Jones for backup at CB (which we need, considering injuries). Tuanzebe will most likely be on loan this season, to taking over from one of those two next season. At FB, we will only have Young as the older option, and considering he will be backup and can play both sides, it's good. At CM/CDM, Matic is getting on, and I think we will be looking to replace him, either this time or the next season. Pereira, I don't know what's his situation, honestly. Up-top, we are pretty lean anyway. We don't particularly have too much deadwood, other than the ones I mentioned in my previous post. Sanchez, yes, but don't think any club will want him. We don't need to clear out too much, but it will cost a pretty penny to replace them in this window. Other than the obvious improvements we already need.

You understand its impossible to do all that in one window. We've done this. Come on man. It's boring when you do this

You understand its impossible to do all that in one window. We've done this. Come on man. It's boring when you do this
Erm? I know. Indicated as much in my post. We don't have too much deadwood to clear, the one where I mentioned it being a transition and not a clearout too.

ZZ you're entitled to disagree on stuff, but we're not doing the whole dance of people explaining stuff to you that's been done before. We've had the same discussion 10 times, and that's not an exaggeration. We're not going to have the same pointless rubbish circular discussion about a rotation player.

Erm? I know. Indicated as much in my post. We don't have too much deadwood to clear, the one where I mentioned it being a transition and not a clearout too.

It was aimed at ZZ, meant to reply to his Transition post. We need more players in that we need out

He suits the 4-3-3 we will play. He's a brilliant part of the backroom which we absolutely need if we're going to have loads of young players. They want him as an ambassador too, which suggests he's also going to retire here. He wasn't never part of the clear out either. You wanted him gone, which is decidedly not the same thing.

Mata will be a great ambassador and he is a role model, but I just don't rate him all that much as a player anymore. One thing I will say is that the few good games he did have was when he was played in the middle, remember Chelsea away in FA Cup he was particularly good. It's not his fault he keeps being played predominantly on the right, I just hope he isn't used there much now.

Mata will be a great ambassador and he is a role model, but I just don't rate him all that much as a player anymore. One thing I will say is that the few good games he did have was when he was played in the middle, remember Chelsea away in FA Cup he was particularly good. It's not his fault he keeps being played predominantly on the right, I just hope he isn't used there much now.

Yeah, which is what we've been saying! The very reason James is here is stop having to play Mata there, and he was playing there because Sanchez was so garbage

Exactly. When played in his proper position and user to his strengths he's still a very good player. He's an example of how to be a model professional to the youngsters coming through which is invaluable. We have got enough players trying to leave or ******* about for new contracts, and enough players to replace without letting Mata walk as well. Made the same mistake with Herrera.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Exactly. When played in his proper position and user to his strengths he's still a very good player. He's an example of how to be a model professional to the youngsters coming through which is invaluable. We have got enough players trying to leave or ******* about for new contracts, and enough players to replace without letting Mata walk as well. Made the same mistake with Herrera.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Exactly, quite frankly we're lucky Mata hasn't demanded the earth too.

Back