The Manchester United Thread

Last edited:
This forum is a bit of a bubble but a lot of United fans are not happy and I honestly can't blame them. People are very easy to forget just how bad this squad was last season and the way it all capitulated at the end.

Too many of these players let the badge down time after time taking it as a liberty, Mata is not one of those but there are many others who don't deserve the shirt quite frankly.

Then with the transfer window so far, no real departures and the signings have been underwhelming thus far. All in all I can see their frustration, not much is changing as was promised.

Clubs are not beholden to sell because another club demands it. If they really want it they'll pay.

I understand Utd don't need the money and they don't have to sell if they don't want to but do you really want another season of distractions and endless talk about pogba? Liverpool had distractions with both Suarez and Coutinho, despite how good both those players are, they got rid and brought in better players who suited their team and have become a better team as a result.

Get a good deal and move on otherwise you will be having the same conversation next year as your having this year and you had last year.

I understand Utd don't need the money and they don't have to sell if they don't want to but do you really want another season of distractions and endless talk about pogba? Liverpool had distractions with both Suarez and Coutinho, despite how good both those players are, they got rid and brought in better players who suited their team and have become a better team as a result.

Get a good deal and move on otherwise you will be having the same conversation next year as your having this year and you had last year.

This is kind of my thinking as well, it will just disrupt the dressing room when it's clear Lukaku and Pogba don't want to be here... they have publicly said so. It's a whole different ball game now because they've made it so clear. But we won't sell because that's how Woodward operates, but give it a season or two we'll see lesser price accepted in the first place when club has less time on contract.

Yes get a good deal

What do you think the 160m price is for?

Interesting that you mention Suarez and Coutinho. Liverpool made sure they got massive fees before even letting go. Remember how they held off Arsenal. Suarez was far more disruptive than Pogba has been.

Liverpool got 120m for coutinho. In fact mentioning Liverpool only serves to strengthen the argument that United should hold out for said good deals

Last edited:
This is kind of my thinking as well, it will just disrupt the dressing room when it's clear Lukaku and Pogba don't want to be here... they have publicly said so. It's a whole different ball game now because they've made it so clear. But we won't sell because that's how Woodward operates, but give it a season or two we'll see lesser price accepted in the first place when club has less time on contract.

We won't sell because it's actually the right thing.

Inter are offering 45m for Lukaku. You're mad if you think that's a fair price.

This forum is a bit of a bubble but a lot of United fans are not happy and I honestly can't blame them. People are very easy to forget just how bad this squad was last season and the way it all capitulated at the end.

Too many of these players let the badge down time after time taking it as a liberty, Mata is not one of those but there are many others who don't deserve the shirt quite frankly.

Then with the transfer window so far, no real departures and the signings have been underwhelming thus far. All in all I can see their frustration, not much is changing as was promised.

Again, literally zero promises were made.

Also many United fans are happy. What's your point? Our fanbase is not a homogeneous unit.

Last edited:
People complain about players having too much power, and then complain when clubs want to end this. United won't be in a better position to flex this while still doing their own business.

Perez isn't even convinced by Pogba, it's Zidane that wants him

Juventus can't even afford Pogba's currently wage packet, so unless he's willing to take a massive cut (which he isn't at the minute) that deals not going anywhere even before a fee is met

PSG are also willing to meet the fee, (they'll wanted shift neymar first) and can pay the wages. So the market is actually set

So there is absolutely no reason for United to change tack

Oh and just to add: Real Madrid said they would pay 110m euros only (so 10m euros more than we paid for him) and set a deadline of first July. Anyone telling me that's a good deal would be taking the ****. They not looking for a good deal, they are looking to take the ****

Last edited:
Yes get a good deal

Interesting that you mention Suarez and Coutinho. Liverpool made sure they got massive fees before even letting go. Remember how they held off Arsenal. Suarez was far more disruptive than Pogba has been.

Liverpool got 120m for coutinho. In fact mentioning Liverpool only serves to strengthen the argument that United should hold out for said good deals

I think his point was more the risk it runs in keeping someone like that who openly doesn't want to be there.

Had it been down to Klopp, he'd of been sold the previous summer for a lot cheaper when he first started his ____ to get a move. But the owners stepped in and made him honour his contract. At least for 6 more months until he effectively went on strike for a second successive window and forced their hands to sell.

So from that moralistic and financial standpoint, L'pool played it perfectly.

But within that you had a player who refused to play through two windows, potentially putting all the hard work of the previous season at risk by pulling himself out of a real tough qualifier against Hoffenheim. After his ____housery of dropping his request to leave the day before the season started. Who then, as has subsequently come out, although he still performed on the pitch, was causing a whole heap of disruption in the changies between the summer and winter windows. Undermining Klopp and going against everything the manger has worked so hard to instil here. Along with a disgraceful, concerted media campaign from his family against the club all aimed at forcing his 'dream' move.

It didn't, but holding onto Coutinho for those 6 months when he was so desperate to leave could have unravelled everything as he continually undermined the manager.

I'm with you that the club shouldn't be held to ransom by a player under contract and should stick to what they believe is in their best interests. But it's a fair view point, when you have an ego like Pogba's, who's already let himself and the club down repeatedly by mailing in a lot of games, to look at the worst case in keeping him and just what internal damage that could cause.

I think his point was more the risk it runs in keeping someone like that who openly doesn't want to be there.

Had it been down to Klopp, he'd of been sold the previous summer for a lot cheaper when he first started his ____ to get a move. But the owners stepped in and made him honour his contract. At least for 6 more months until he effectively went on strike for a second successive window and forced their hands to sell.

So from that moralistic and financial standpoint, L'pool played it perfectly.

But within that you had a player who refused to play through two windows, potentially putting all the hard work of the previous season at risk by pulling himself out of a real tough qualifier against Hoffenheim. After his ____housery of dropping his request to leave the day before the season started. Who then, as has subsequently come out, although he still performed on the pitch, was causing a whole heap of disruption in the changies between the summer and winter windows. Undermining Klopp and going against everything the manger has worked so hard to instil here. Along with a disgraceful, concerted media campaign from his family against the club all aimed at forcing his 'dream' move.

It didn't, but holding onto Coutinho for those 6 months when he was so desperate to leave could have unravelled everything as he continually undermined the manager.

I'm with you that the club shouldn't be held to ransom by a player under contract and should stick to what they believe is in their best interests. But it's a fair view point, when you have an ego like Pogba's, who's already let himself and the club down repeatedly by mailing in a lot of games, to look at the worst case in keeping him and just what internal damage that could cause.

If United couldn't work around that I'd agree. But United can still get their transfer work done without selling Pogba.

It's the reason you've not heard Raiola kicking off, he knows that financially United can resist. We might not like him, but he's not stupid either. He only plays up when he thinks he can win.

Pogba is due to meet Solskjaer on Monday as well anyway. But given that neither club has attempted to negotiate, Uniteds stance should let change

As it stands Pogba hasn't even got close to those levels which were disgraceful front coutinho.

As such I have short shrift for anyone saying we should be backing down this early, or even at all

The dressing room wasn't a pretty sight even before this. And don't think selling Pogba alone will fix it (although it could be a start). I have no issues with either Pogba or Lukaku being sold (so long as adequate replacements are gotten in). What i hate is clubs making ****-all bids. I didn't know about Inter's 45 Mn bid, but if that's true, then we should honestly ask them to **** off, and refuse a deal (tough stance to take with Lukaku wanting to move, but that's the sentiment).

I'm absolutely game with holding off for another season if clubs don't meet our valuation. Both RM and Inter have been taking the ****, by trying to offload unwanted players in their deals. It's a different scenario if they make an acceptable bid, and we turn it down - then you have an extremely unhappy player (for good measure). Neither club has made a proper bid, and from the looks of it, neither can properly afford the players - let them sod off.

Also, RE: player power, deal with Pogba/Lukaku as you would deal with any other player causing this trouble. Also, stands to mention, neither has created any sort of trouble that Coutinho/Suarez caused when angling for a move. Those two pulled some pretty ****** things to get their move. Other than the **** that Raiola pulls (Pogba's Japanese interview). So, I'm quite happy with the stance we have.

Plus, it's not like it's very easy to sell a player and adequately replace them. Especially with no CL, which puts some targets out of range. So, quite happy to keep them, and maybe sell next season. Not like either's value is going to reduce.

Also, and I stress, no concrete bid has happened yet. And until Eriksen signs a new deal at Tottenham, noone really knows whether RM will move for Pogba or Eriksen (as Perez wants - he has long felt Pogba is not value for money on the pitch (that's a whole different arguement right there)). I also like the targets we are linked with for a swap - Skriniar for Lukaku and Dybala+cash for Pogba. Those two, I'll take in a heartbeat.

Where would you play Dybala? I cant see him fitting your system.
In a 4-3-3, maybe not, especially if I have Rashford too. I'd play him up-top, dropping deeper and inter-changing passes with Martial and Rashford on the side, trying to create a fluid 3 of sorts. Or, if it's a diamond, as Ole is also prone to do, I'd play him at the tip of the diamond, behind the striker. He has a tendency to drop deep, really good link-up play, circulate possession, create chances and score decently. He actually fits an Ole striker perfectly. The problem arises when both Rashford and Dybala are in a squad, but using Rashford as a wide-forward could work. Maybe.

Regardless, Dybala is the only player of Juve that we should be interested in. Not Douglas Costa, who has been linked recently (old, inconsistent). I'd have liked Cancelo, but he is off to City (who, once again, are having an excellent summer with a replacement for Fernandinho in Rodri and Cancelo)

Yes get a good deal

I think we arguing about the same point really. The club/woodward have to find the deal which suits Utd best. From my point of view if you identified x amount of players to replace Pogba and improve your team and it costs 110million then i would sell Pogba for the 110 and improve the team. If those players cost 150 million then you hold on to Pogba and try to get as close to that as possible.

The one difference between liverpool and Utd in this scenario is that an extra 30/40/50 million had a big difference to liverpool and what they could go on and spend. I don't think that extra 30/40/50 has that same effect for Utd as you have some fat stacks in the bank to begin with lol.

Either way Woodward is going to get grief whatever happens and i'm glad i'm not in his shoes.

Last edited:
In a 4-3-3, maybe not, especially if I have Rashford too. I'd play him up-top, dropping deeper and inter-changing passes with Martial and Rashford on the side, trying to create a fluid 3 of sorts. Or, if it's a diamond, as Ole is also prone to do, I'd play him at the tip of the diamond, behind the striker. He has a tendency to drop deep, really good link-up play, circulate possession, create chances and score decently. He actually fits an Ole striker perfectly. The problem arises when both Rashford and Dybala are in a squad, but using Rashford as a wide-forward could work. Maybe.

Regardless, Dybala is the only player of Juve that we should be interested in. Not Douglas Costa, who has been linked recently (old, inconsistent). I'd have liked Cancelo, but he is off to City (who, once again, are having an excellent summer with a replacement for Fernandinho in Rodri and Cancelo)

Agree with all of this.

However, he can play off the right wing as an inside forward and has done so a lot this season for Juve. So could be deployed in a fluid front 3 three, easily covering and moving into the CF role

If United couldn't work around that I'd agree. But United can still get their transfer work done without selling Pogba.

It's the reason you've not heard Raiola kicking off, he knows that financially United can resist. We might not like him, but he's not stupid either. He only plays up when he thinks he can win.

Pogba is due to meet Solskjaer on Monday as well anyway. But given that neither club has attempted to negotiate, Uniteds stance should let change

As it stands Pogba hasn't even got close to those levels which were disgraceful front coutinho.

As such I have short shrift for anyone saying we should be backing down this early, or even at all

Think that's what annoys me most. I hate when people use the "look how Liverpool built a team with Coutinho's fee" - we don't ******* need Pogba's fee to build a team. We're Manchester United, our revenue/turnover is second to none, literally. Yes, we have a set-budget this summer (one that 99% of clubs in world football are envious of), but we have 2 summer windows ahead of us before we talk about seeing this project (hopefully) fall into place. This idea that we can sell our best player and because he's valuable, his fee could be used to improve us overall is so stupid. We can build around & improve with our best player, as bonkers as that may sound to some.

I know he may want a new challenge (and who can begrudge him it? One of the best players in the world, entering his peak, and is 3-4 years into a project that has barely progressed...even Gerrard was half way down the M1 to Stamford Bridge once upon a time), but if we can somehow convince him to stay, his love for the club would translate in performances if the players are there around him.

I recommend everyone to give this short clip a listen. Danny hit the nail on the ****** head.

https://twitter.com/HarunAli30/status/1141255418993418245

Last edited:
Back