The Manchester United Thread

I thought we all knew that we needed a right winger, I know James can play there and he is better than what we've got... as we don't have one. But I still think when you watch him he's better on the left but even if we do use him on the right, we can't rely on him as first-choice next season. He'll be a great rotation option but I think we should still bring in a Pepe or someone like that to play there.

I don't know to me it just kind of feels last 6 years we're going in circles, new manager, new philosophy, when that fails then we say how the squad isn't good enough. New manager comes in and has a bit of success suddenly we think the players are good enough again.

Understand you have to give players time but the ones we are talking about have pretty much been a part of every failed manager tenure since Fergie. There is only so much you can do with them at this point. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

The idea you can't teach an old dog new tricks is absolute, and fundamentally wrong. This actually might explain your narrow minded thinking.

But why do we need a right winger? to do what exactly? What is it you expect this player to be doing?

The bold is your thinking, not everyone's, and its a lot more complicated than that

Interesting that you mention Pepe, when he's one of the few consistent names targeted

Out of curiosity as I've not seen him outside of the two Portugal games the Nations League Finals earlier this month (Where I thought he really stood out for them. Along with Dias at the back. Played two completely different roles in two different tactical set-up's too which adds to your 3rd point above); do you honestly rate him that highly? Presumably you have watched him to judge?

He's a joke, and in a good way. Pure offensive nightmare and output, plays incredibly aggressive passes, so his passing accuracy is low because he tries everything (partly down to Sporting having little tactical ideas so he took control), so that's something to be reined in slightly. Likes to harry, and press as well.

Play him behind the striker or as the most offensive centre mid in a 3

He's a joke, and in a good way. Pure offensive nightmare and output, plays incredibly aggressive passes, so his passing accuracy is low because he tries everything (partly down to Sporting having little tactical ideas so he took control), so that's something to be reined in slightly. Likes to harry, and press as well.

Play him behind the striker or as the most offensive centre mid in a 3

Interesting ta. Appreciated.

Dont know about anyone else but I'm happy using Dalot at RW after his end to the season. He did well, and can actually cross a ball. Which could be key to Lukaku scoring a few goals if he stays. He's young so has the legs to get back and defend. If we sign AWB and have Young as a back-up (with Dalot as well) I'm more than happy for him to play there more in rotation with Lingard.

Im just praying Sanchez gains some kind of form at the Copa and comes back the player we thought we signed. Would allow us to strengthen elsewhere while getting a decent output from him, and hopefully attract interest for next summer. With an on form Sanchez, we can at least sort out the defence and midfield this window. We can't do everything this window. Got to find a balance somewhere, and as Mike says, make the best of what we have left in August and get them playing to that level over Christmas.

Out of curiosity as I've not seen him outside of the two Portugal games the Nations League Finals earlier this month (Where I thought he really stood out for them. Along with Dias at the back. Played two completely different roles in two different tactical set-up's too which adds to your 3rd point above); do you honestly rate him that highly? Presumably you have watched him to judge?

Yeah, I really like him as a player, but mind-there's a reason Im not aa scout.
But if I could choose one midfielder for United to sign, it would be Bruno.
Sorry for lack in depth answer, Im on my phone and cant type that much.

Yeah, I really like him as a player, but mind-there's a reason Im not aa scout.
But if I could choose one midfielder for United to sign, it would be Bruno.
Sorry for lack in depth answer, Im on my phone and cant type that much.

No need to apologise. I appreciate the response. Thank you.

I was asking as there’s been a lot of money gone down on him joining L’pool to the extent they’re now the odds-on favourite for him to move to. The rumours have been there all month but I’ve paid them little heed.

The big swing from the bookies got my attention so I was curious.

No need to apologise. I appreciate the response. Thank you.

I was asking as there’s been a lot of money gone down on him joining L’pool to the extent they’re now the odds-on favourite for him to move to. The rumours have been there all month but I’ve paid them little heed.

The big swing from the bookies got my attention so I was curious.

The swing from the bookies had come from Liverpool fans talking about him. Never use bookies as a line on players. Remember when betting stopped in Strootman to United, despite the fact that United hadn't even gone near him that window?

Apparently there's been a lot of money placed that's caused the odds to be slashed for what it's worth.

United been scouting Fernandes all season, absolutely gutted if we miss out but not too surprised. Question is... where else do we turn to?

United been scouting Fernandes all season, absolutely gutted if we miss out but not too surprised. Question is... where else do we turn to?

Wouldn't put much of anything on anything. I certainly aren't.

It just peaked my curiosity and I'd remembered Vanjagl talking about him so I asked.

Tbh there’s a lot of good CMs on the market this Summer. Fernandes, Tielemans, Barella, Savic, Pellegrini, Kovacic, Longstaff, Van De Beek, Ndombele, Fabian Ruiz, Cabellos, Partey, Lo Celso, Rice and Maddison if you pay enough.

Last edited:
Apparently there's been a lot of money placed that's caused the odds to be slashed for what it's worth.

That's what happens. It's exactly what happened with Strootman. I'm not saying Liverpool aren't interested. I'm am saying pay absolutely no attention to the bookies on it.

Skybet have a really shady way of using their own rumours through sky sports to play with the odds. Duped thousands over Strootman and made a killing. Somehow it's not illegal

Last edited:
Tbh there’s a lot of good CMs on the market this Summer. Fernandes, Tielemans, Barella, Savic, Pellegrini, Kovacic, Longstaff, Van De Beek, Ndombele, Fabian Ruiz, Cabellos, Partey, Lo Celso, Rice and Maddison if you pay enough.

Expect ndombele to go to Spurs, he's been their number one, no matter what happens with Eriksen. Would really like us to finish off Fernandes and pick up Tielemans or Partey, If not both.

Expect ndombele to go to Spurs, he's been their number one, no matter what happens with Eriksen. Would really like us to finish off Fernandes and pick up Tielemans or Partey, If not both.
Yeah looks certain now good signing for Spurs! Had a giggle at Utd fans losing there **** about it :)))

Yeah looks certain now good signing for Spurs! Had a giggle at Utd fans losing there **** about it :)))

Guarantee 90% of them don't even know who he is. Would he a very good signing for us mind. Can only presume we're chasing others or he picked Spurs over us (which is likely since they have been after him for 4 months)

Guarantee 90% of them don't even know who he is. Would he a very good signing for us mind. Can only presume we're chasing others or he picked Spurs over us (which is likely since they have been after him for 4 months)
Im sure we likely enquired as reported by Bouhafsi etc. But never really got the thought he was our main target. For me it’s been Fernandes, Tielemans and Longstaff

Im sure we likely enquired as reported by Bouhafsi etc. But never really got the thought he was our main target. For me it’s been Fernandes, Tielemans and Longstaff
Which I don't understand, mind. Unless he wants CL specifically. Otherwise, Ndombele is an upgrade on both Tielemans and Longstaff, as the guy can cover multiple roles.

Back