The Manchester United Thread

Lukaku's price won't be going up if we don't play him regularly which Solskjaer doesn't so pointless keeping him. £62m in total, bit low but with a bit of haggle get it up to £70m and cheerio.

Kind of sums up my feelings on Lukaku the fact that he wants to bail and of all places go to.... Inter.

This summer is best time to replace players with how many are seemingly on the move. Not that I that we will, probably stick with what we have as we have other priorities.
You're not getting my point. I don't particularly have a problem with 70 Mn+ now. I have a problem with 70 Mn two years later, when he probably will be worth a lot more, due to constant game time. Oh, and we need to get in a replacement for Lukaku, which also costs money (on top of the replacements we already need). We can't get in a replacement with just the loan money.

Sell him for an up-front fee rather than loan+future fee was my point. Otherwise, I'm quite happy keeping him. Remember, he is only angling for a move after being informed he was no longer first choice.

You're not getting my point. I don't particularly have a problem with 70 Mn+ now. I have a problem with 70 Mn two years later, when he probably will be worth a lot more, due to constant game time. Oh, and we need to get in a replacement for Lukaku, which also costs money (on top of the replacements we already need). We can't get in a replacement with just the loan money.

Sell him for an up-front fee rather than loan+future fee was my point. Otherwise, I'm quite happy keeping him. Remember, he is only angling for a move after being informed he was no longer first choice.

Inter can't pay a lump sum because of FFP apparently, so they are only going to do a deal like this with some structuring of further payments. I'm not sure where Lukaku particularly goes from there anyway, if he has a good couple of years at Inter, who comes in for him? Someone from PL again maybe but he is never getting into a Madrid or Barca side with his (lack of) first touch. I think he might just fade in to the abyss, which I think is what he wants a nice easier lifestyle.

Don't we want a player that fights for his spot rather than someone who just wants out as soon as there is competition? His weak mentality has become evident to me by him chasing this move. Good riddance but that's just my opinion. He scores goals but is a limited striker for me in the direction we want to go.

Tbh we could replace him especially with us being linked with Haller and Yedder who are available for about 30-35m. Get rid move on. Get a good fee all together and let the rebuild continue with one less player who isn’t in our plans.

Simon Stone saying Longstaff will be one of Ole CM signings. Him and Fernandes would give us great balance and options in CM. He also says Ole wants Maguire or anther fairly young CB with experience.

2 CMs and a CB will be a fantastic window imo.

We do not have an unlimited budget, remember. We have already spent close to 70 Mn or so. Any two of Fernandes and Longstaff/Tielemans would likely cost about 90 Mn. And then we have a CB also to fill, who, if we look at the available good ones, won't be anything short of 60 Mn (Dias, and he is the cheapest). That alone takes spending beyond 200 Mn, into the 230 Mn range. And yes, I know it is structured payments over the course of years, but it still doesn't make it cheap.

On top of that, a striker is just too much, especially with no transfer fee for two years. I'm quite happy keeping Lukaku, thanks, rather than agreeing to the loan fee. Inter need to sell before buying, that's their headache to sort. We should be under very little pressure to sell.

Besides, it's still rumours, and we don't know the actual finances of the proposed deal. My opinion is that we should reject it. Anyhow, we can drop this topic until more news, I guess.

Also, just saying, it was Mourinho that converted Lukaku into a more static, target-man striker. Before that (and honestly, for Belgium) he was quite agile and running in channels behind defenders with good movement. Although his first touch was always okay-ish at best. That Lukaku can still be a decent fit for Ole, mind.

Last edited:
Part of me likes this young vibrant British direction we're going in because there is talent out there and more importantly we'll be getting players who actually will value the badge more than those sometimes coming from abroad.

It could all collapse and not work but I'm at least confident that these players will live and die by their sword. Rather than seeing a lot of players who have come from overseas that then want to jack it in after a season or two due to not adapting or whatever.

As long as we get Longstaff AND another CM, it can't be just him.

It's a no from me. If we're selling Lukaku then we need to replace Lukaku. Not convinced that deal helps that.

Wayne Rooney’s advice to Aaron Wan-Bissaka: “Enjoy it. Play with no fear. United’s a fantastic club. One of, if not the best football club in the world. You have to embrace it, embrace the culture of United. Learn the history and do your best.” #mufc [Sky]

No doubt he might be a good player, just not sure he's what we need atm with a lot of better midfielders on the market. Plus we've just got James Garner on the edge of breaking through to first team, what does that do to him?

I'm not saying it's a bad signing, just not sure how it works when we have players like Garner coming through and Tielemans/Fernandes on the market. As well as a load of other established cm'S.

No doubt he might be a good player, just not sure he's what we need atm with a lot of better midfielders on the market. Plus we've just got James Garner on the edge of breaking through to first team, what does that do to him?

I'm not saying it's a bad signing, just not sure how it works when we have players like Garner coming through and Tielemans/Fernandes on the market. As well as a load of other established cm'S.
Hes nothing like Tielemans and Fernandes. Garner is still 17 and will be limited to cup comps and u23s next season. For 25m he would be a good addition and hopefully see less of Matic. Him and Fernandes would leave us well set at CM.

Hes nothing like Tielemans and Fernandes. Garner is still 17 and will be limited to cup comps and u23s next season. For 25m he would be a good addition and hopefully see less of Matic. Him and Fernandes would leave us well set at CM.

Didn't say he was like them, just saying if we sign Tielemans and Fernandes, we still have abundance of other midfielders already at the club. There isn't room for all of them! Wouldn't mind seeing the back of Matic totally tbh, he should be binned.

There are a lot of good CM's on the move this suer tbf and btw Garner is 18. Despite the difference in their age, Longstaff doesn't exactly have much PL experience behind him either. Not to mention coming back from injury.

Dunno a bit torn on this one tbh, this British ideology is all good if it works out but think Longstaff is not an immediate answer to our midfield like others could be.

Didn't say he was like them, just saying if we sign Tielemans and Fernandes, we still have abundance of other midfielders already at the club. There isn't room for all of them! Wouldn't mind seeing the back of Matic totally tbh, he should be binned.

There are a lot of good CM's on the move this suer tbf and btw Garner is 18. Despite the difference in their age, Longstaff doesn't;t exactly have much PL experience behind him either.

Dunno a bit torn on this one tbh, this British ideology is all good but think this one is a bit questionable.
What’s the point in having Pogba, Tielemans and Fernandes who are all better going forward. You need balance in CM and CMs that offer different attributes.

What’s the point in having Pogba, Tielemans and Fernandes who are all better going forward. You need balance in CM and CMs that offer different attributes.

Even if Pogba is here for one more season we should be building for when he is not here anyway, as we all know it will happen sooner rather than later.

Then he stays for money which given him and his agent wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility that this is their plan all a long. New bumper contract, still can't stand either of them though.
When he signed (besides money) he signed because he still had feelings and unfinished business. Also was sold on a project that we would be getting back to the top. Ok he’s won some trophies while being here, but the club is obviously in a mess but being sorted. Like DDG If Ole gets the players he wants and we can continue that form when he first took over for a consistent period. I could easily see him deciding to stay.

Ornstien and Stoney saying today that there’s likely zero chance he’s leaving.

Get Pogba partnered with Fernandes and that could be devestating for this up coming season.

Then he stays for money which given him and his agent wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility that this is their plan all a long. New bumper contract, still can't stand either of them though.

He's not getting a new contract anytime soon. And given that were not offering anyone more than 350K a week, it's not going to be significantly higher than what he's on.

It's like you find things to moan about. Even if the scenario doesn't exist.

Back