The Manchester United Thread

No bids received by @ManUtd for Paul Pogba. No negotiations. Club calm about situation. Still believe he will be with them this season. In present market would price be beyond £150m!

This came out 5 mins after Baldy said Madrid had made 3 offers 100m then one offer for Bale. Then one for Courtois. Then one for Ceballos. What a numpty!

Last edited:

No bids received by @ManUtd for Paul Pogba. No negotiations. Club calm about situation. Still believe he will be with them this season. In present market would price be beyond £150m!

This came out 5 mins after Baldy said Madrid had made 3 offers 100m then one offer for Bale. Then one for Courtois. Then one for Ceballos. What a numpty!

We should expect this for awhile because the headline bellends will lap it up until the window closes with Pogba as a United player or somehow they got him to sign a new deal. Otherwise just expect more numpty rubbish

While his form hasn't been that exceptional, I wouldn't mind a gamble at SMS too. Not at the reported 120 Mn, mind, not worth that, but anywhere around 70 odd Mn, and he could be worth a shout. Partey, SMS and Fernandes would be pretty good. Eriksen, meh, I'm not too sure, not at the reported 100 Mn being asked. He is WC, and would walk in as a starter, but that still is an insane amount of money for someone on the final year of his contract.

Eriksen is much closer to 65-80m from what I've read. And he'd replace Pogba entirely on his own.

Eriksen is much closer to 65-80m from what I've read. And he'd replace Pogba entirely on his own.

2nd this. Eriksen is probably the closet thing we could get to a pogba replacement. Got incredible PL pedigree too

It's Levy selling to a direct rival. I doubt he would lower his initial asking demands. And yes, I agree, Eriksen is WC and he would walk into our midfield, but we do have other options out there for that kind of money. I haven't seen him play, but everywhere, there seem to be really good reports about Lo Celso, and apparently, he is the man Tottenham want to replace Eriksen with (for the same amount of money, mind - ~80 Mn). It would be a gamble, and he is not PL proven, but it'd be an interesting move. Or Donny van de Beek. Not a picture perfect Pogba replacement, but he would go a long way.

I would love Eriksen, mind, but as long as he is around 60 Mn. Which is pretty big already for a 28 year old midfielder in the final year of his contract. Albeit world class.

But speaking of dream midfields, if we get SMS to replace Herrera as a B2B midfielder and Partey to sit at the base, freeing up Pogba to go forward, that is a bonafide crazy midfield. Don't think we have the funds to complete the moves, I know, but it'd be a perfect midfield.

It's Levy selling to a direct rival. I doubt he would lower his initial asking demands. And yes, I agree, Eriksen is WC and he would walk into our midfield, but we do have other options out there for that kind of money. I haven't seen him play, but everywhere, there seem to be really good reports about Lo Celso, and apparently, he is the man Tottenham want to replace Eriksen with (for the same amount of money, mind - ~80 Mn). It would be a gamble, and he is not PL proven, but it'd be an interesting move. Or Donny van de Beek. Not a picture perfect Pogba replacement, but he would go a long way.

I would love Eriksen, mind, but as long as he is around 60 Mn. Which is pretty big already for a 28 year old midfielder in the final year of his contract. Albeit world class.

But speaking of dream midfields, if we get SMS to replace Herrera as a B2B midfielder and Partey to sit at the base, freeing up Pogba to go forward, that is a bonafide crazy midfield. Don't think we have the funds to complete the moves, I know, but it'd be a perfect midfield.

It's not lowering demands, that's the price being bandied knowing full well United are interested. He also can't replace Eriksen without selling him, and from January he's free to talk to anyone outside England. The chance to get loads of money was last season

Eriksen is pretty much a year older than Pogba, i'd have no issue making him our lead midfielder. Ticks every box

It's not lowering demands, that's the price being bandied knowing full well United are interested. He also can't replace Eriksen without selling him, and from January he's free to talk to anyone outside England. The chance to get loads of money was last season

Eriksen is pretty much a year older than Pogba, i'd have no issue making him our lead midfielder. Ticks every box

I agree.

I know I made the comment on Kroos age earlier in the thread but I think theres a big difference when we're talking about Eriksen. Premier and Champions League prove, brilliant injury record.

Eriksens recent comments about a new challenge also means that Levy can't even risk the idea of locking him up to a new contract. United would definitely be able to press for the 60mil price.

Eriksen would definitely make me ok with letting Pogba go, providing theres a good price offered. We hold the cards in this regard

I agree.

I know I made the comment on Kroos age earlier in the thread but I think theres a big difference when we're talking about Eriksen. Premier and Champions League prove, brilliant injury record.

Eriksens recent comments about a new challenge also means that Levy can't even risk the idea of locking him up to a new contract. United would definitely be able to press for the 60mil price.

Eriksen would definitely make me ok with letting Pogba go, providing theres a good price offered. We hold the cards in this regard

The reason Raiola is constantly talking is because he's got a real issue getting Pogba to Madrid.

1) United want 150m

2) Madrid arent cash rich atm

3) Zidane might want him, but Perez does not, he'd rather have Eriksen, and knows he'd stand a chance of getting him on a free

4) Pogba is unwilling or unable to go nuclear as it stands

5) United's transfer business isn't predicated on selling Pobga, and they could get a replacement without having to immediately sell

2nd this. Eriksen is probably the closet thing we could get to a pogba replacement. Got incredible PL pedigree too

Do you think pogba is better in a team sport than Eriksen?

Feels like the transfer window is just waiting for one of those domino player moves. Might just be Rodriguez to Napoli, which frees up cash for Madrid...

They're both footballers. One is just more individualistic than the other, this is nothing new in football. Arguing anything else is just nonsense, because you don't just happen to play football at the highest level.

They're both footballers. One is just more individualistic than the other, this is nothing new in football. Arguing anything else is just nonsense, because you don't just happen to play football at the highest level.

I'm not arguing anything Mike. Just having an opinion
But we can all see there is only one opinion that is valid here these days... Can't we?

I'm not arguing anything Mike. Just having an opinion
But we can all see there is only one opinion that is valid here these days... Can't we?

No one said you couldn't have an opinion, but given what it takes to be an elite footballer, it doesn't hold up, unless you're Ali Dia, and he got found out pretty sharpish.

I could have the opinion Woodward is the best transfer CEO ever. It'd be decidedly wrong in the face of facts. In the same way it's obvious that Pogba is a footballer, and an excellent one, if also an invidualistic one, and football is full of them.

Last edited:
The stats shows that the idea of Pogba not being a team player simply doesn't hold up. Sure he has some problems with his positioning off the ball, but that was known since Euro 16. It was just bad planning of us not signing someone that could set Pogba free.

The stats shows that the idea of Pogba not being a team player simply doesn't hold up. Sure he has some problems with his positioning off the ball, but that was known since Euro 16. It was just bad planning of us not signing someone that could set Pogba free.

It's a mix of Pogba not being consistent enough and equally us having little managerial direction from Jose in midfield, coupled with a lack of some midfield options . Swap and kdb and Pogba and kdb would struggle and Pogba would be glorious for city. Something were looking to rectify both in managerial direction and transfers.

Last edited:
It's a mix of Pogba not being consistent enough and equally us having little managerial direction from Jose in in midfield, coupled with a lack of some midfield options . Swap and kdb and Pogba and kdb would struggle and Pogba would be glorious for city. Something were looking to rectify both in managerial direction and transfers.
I agree, but Pogba had an history of not being consistent in a midfield duo before he even moved here. That Mourinho ignored this was shockig to me.

I agree, but Pogba had an history of not being consistent in a midfield duo before he even moved here. That Mourinho ignored this was shockig to me.

Sanchez was a balanced player on the right hand side, where we lacked a player. Mourinho played him on the left, unbalanced the side and almost lost the club Martial. He did what he wanted for better or worse (ultimately worse)

Solskjaer holding his first press conference of the summer in Perth. On Pogba, he said: “We’ve had no bids. We’re Man United, we don’t have to sell our players!”

OGS: "We are still in the market and looking to do some business. We are patient. We don’t have to sell and we don’t have to overpay."

OGS on @ManUtd fans: "They want us to be successful. The loudest ones are not the greatest or the best fans. When I am out there and speaking to them they are all very positive. They want to see us win again."

Solskjaer on forwards
We had four players with double figures. We don’t rely on one to score 30, 40 goals. We have Anthony, Rom. Mason is due a breakthrough, Dan James will chip in. Let’s see who hits form

On Greenwood
Mason will definitely play more games and he has grown over the summer. I think his confidence has grown after that Cardiff game.

@TelegraphDucker
Solskajer on Pogba: "I have been in touch with Paul and spoken to Paul, spoken to Rom. As far as I'm aware we don't have any bids for our players. We're Man United, we don't have to sell players." #mufc

Solskjaer on Pogba: "With Paul, it looks like it's going to be a media ... I don't want to call it a ... but it's an agenda against Paul. He's a top, top bloke. He's a great professional. He's never been any problem. He's got a heart of gold." #mufc

Solskjaer on Lingard/Pogba footage: "Jesse and Paul were walking around and it's been portrayed as a fight between the two boys. I know you're here to sell papers and sell stories but there are no problems between the boys at all. Pre-season has been very good so far." #mufc

Solskjaer on Pogba: "Paul has never put himself out of the team, he's always wanted to play, he's always given his best and I can't report any more than that. Agents talk all the time. We've not had any bids from any clubs and that's all I can say about this matter." #mufc

Fans asking where is "ruthlessness" you promised in terms of change? OGS: "Yeah, I can see your point but doing business in the football market is not going to be a quick fix overnight. There are loads of players here I know are going to be successful at this club."

Solskjaer on Pogba: "Paul has never been a concern for me. When he's on the pitch he's working hard, he's a true professional, he's a proud boy. I can't be sitting here talking about Paul all the time and what agents are saying. We've got a few years left of his contract." #mufc

Last edited:
Back