The Manchester United Thread

DDG

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Matic/Longstaff

Fernandes Pogba

Lingard/Sanchez/James Martial

Rashford​

I've stuck in options where I expect heavy competition as opposed to obvious starters
Eh, Pogba won't be here next season

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Yeah Lukaku won’t be a problem. But will happily see the back of them ONLY IF the right offer comes in. If not and you have to stay, then that’s the buying clubs fault for not stumping up we will clearly let them go if they do. In this case they need to crack on for the season till the next window and see if they stump up that time around.

I suspect Raiola has come out with this because he knows Madrid wont pay the asking price.

I suspect Raiola has come out with this because he knows Madrid wont pay the asking price.
Yeah. And to prevent more concrete movements from RM for Eriksen. Well, don't care. RM can pay up or get off.

We need a 20+ goal a season striker. We have got one. Lukaku. We bought him because he consistently did that. In inferior teams. Problem is we have never played to his strengths. Until dalot went RW at the end of the season, he's not had 1 player that can cross a ball to him. Our style of play doesn't suit him. That's not his fault. You don't spend £75m on a striker for 20+ goals and then not play to his strengths to get them goals. But that's exactly what's happened. I don't blame him for being frustrated. He scores for Belgium most games and plays well. We either use him and play to get the best out of him or stick to this style and get rid. But he's not **** by any means and I think his attitude so far shows his professionalism. As the window closes it might change but so far he's been professional. Let's see how it goes

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

We need a 20+ goal a season striker. We have got one. Lukaku. We bought him because he consistently did that. In inferior teams. Problem is we have never played to his strengths. Until dalot went RW at the end of the season, he's not had 1 player that can cross a ball to him. Our style of play doesn't suit him. That's not his fault. You don't spend £75m on a striker for 20+ goals and then not play to his strengths to get them goals. But that's exactly what's happened. I don't blame him for being frustrated. He scores for Belgium most games and plays well. We either use him and play to get the best out of him or stick to this style and get rid. But he's not **** by any means and I think his attitude so far shows his professionalism. As the window closes it might change but so far he's been professional. Let's see how it goes

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

The best strikers can adapt and fight to become better Aguero being a prime example under Pep. Rather than take the approach of being frustrated because a new manager comes in and he's not having it his own way.... therefore wanting to leave just after a few months.

We seriously can't build our play around Lukaku because as a footballer he has flaws, sure we can go back to the dull Mourinho days but then that doesn't solve anything regarding the team progressing long-term.

The best strikers can adapt and fight to become better Aguero being a prime example under Pep. Rather than take the approach of being frustrated because a new manager comes in and he's not having it his own way.... therefore wanting to leave just after a few months.

We seriously can't build our play around Lukaku because as a footballer he has flaws, sure we can go back to the dull Mourinho days but then that doesn't solve anything regarding the team progressing long-term.

This. Hasn't. Happened.

What do you mean?

The whole paragraph is a scenario you're making up in your head. He wasn't really frustrated because of Solskjaer coming in. He was told straight up he's not first choice and doesn't really fit the managers plans. As a result he wants to play for Inter, because Conte wants to do with him what Ole wants to do with Rashford. That's entirely reasonable.

He also knows he won't be sold unless inter meet United's demands, and yet he's turned up to training (early)and got on with it. His agent isn't spouting off, but is quietly maintaining lines of communication between Inter and United (he's also Conte's agent). It's all very professional from everyone. You're trying to paint him as some kind of troublemaker when that's not even close to reality.

We actually could build our football around Lukaku, but that's not how we want to play. Mourinho's football wasn't really built around Lukaku either, because he actually prefers running with the ball than constantly to head. It was dull because Mourinho refused to take the shackles off, not because it was Lukaku.

None of it has anything to do with long-term progession though.

And this is only fault of Lukaku, cmon....

Pep took time and knows how to rework players. Pep and Ole are not even comparable on this, Lukaku even have not time to be worked on has Ole been there half a season and pushed out Lukaku. Cant think that few games and player must adapt playing style. Even Kun did not do that.

One moment Sherkey says we need a winger to cross the balls in and now Mike says that we need to give him the ball to feet so he can run at players. Which if we take the latter, Solskjaer in his early games encouraged that style of play. I remember him saying he wanted players that can take risks with the ball, keep their head up and take on players. The game against Arsenal in FA Cup he even utilised Lukaku doing a similar role, albeit in a different position and he done well there.

He prefers Rashford in that forward position but ultimately they both got significant game time, it's not like Lukaku was totally frozen out and left in the changing room. Even in CL he played them both, that's not really a sign of a manager wanting to cast them out.

And this is only fault of Lukaku, cmon....

Pep took time and knows how to rework players. Pep and Ole are not even comparable on this, Lukaku even have not time to be worked on has Ole been there half a season and pushed out Lukaku. Cant think that few games and player must adapt playing style. Even Kun did not do that.

I'm not saying it's ALL Lukaku's fault because ultimately when a manager prefers another player you're going to have to accept that. But I don't see how we can say that it's not for long-term progression either. Solskjaer's vision is literally all about that, from the players he is bringing in and the style which will take numerous seasons to get close to perfecting.

Last edited:
One moment Sherkey says we need a winger to cross the balls in and now Mike says that we need to give him the ball to feet so he can run at players. Which if we take the latter, Solskjaer in his early games encouraged that style of play. I remember him saying he wanted players that can take risks with the ball, keep their head up and take on players. The game against Arsenal in FA Cup he even utilised Lukaku doing a similar role, albeit in a different position and he done well there.

He prefers Rashford in that forward position but ultimately they both got significant game time, it's not like Lukaku was totally frozen out and left in the changing room. Even in CL he played them both, that's not really a sign of a manager wanting to cast them out.

I'm not saying it's ALL Lukaku's fault because ultimately when a manager prefers another player you're going to have to accept that. But I don't see how we can say that it's not for long-term progression either. Solskjaer's vision is literally all about that, from the players he is bringing in and the style which will take numerous seasons to get close to perfecting.

Lukaku prefers balls into feet from midfield on the half turn, doesnt mean you can hit him with a lovely cross. He's more than just a cross onto head man

Ole is on record as saying he has chosen Rashford over him, and that he doesn't fit how he plays. So for you to say he's not casting him out as first choice is a lie. He's not frozen him, but hes definitely no longer first choice

It isn't for long term progression because its a managerial choice. If Ole wanted by successful with Lukaku as number one he could be, that's what we're saying. Keeping Lukaku would not hurt that. But he wants to play a different way, which is fine.

Lukaku has accepted that, you're the one who is making out like he's a **** stirrer

Last edited:

Mate, I said I was okay with Lingard, who provides very little width and almost no crossing. It wasn't me who said Dalot was useful for the crossing (I forgot who it was) - not that I disagree, it adds another option in the arsenal, which is needed. I gave the comparision of Lukaku in relation to Belgium, where he run with the ball from deep - just that his link-up play is iffy. Also, just saying, but I've always liked players on the right such that we have a fluid three (Pepe?)

Also, Solskjaer didn't cast him out or isolate him in the dressing room (a la Conte with Costa). He just told him Rashford was first choice, doesn't mean he discarded Lukaku. It just meant that Lukaku was rotational, and he feels he should be starting every match at this point in his career (which, props to him, is fair). Also, Lukaku under Mourinho bulked up a lot to try and suit his version of a strong target man. The Lukaku before that, using his physique to bully defenders, dropping deep and running at players (while being deceptively quick) does suit Solskjaer's play to an extent, and if he stays, that's what he will be looking to do.

Letting Lukaku out is not directly related to LT progression, it's more of Rashford suiting Ole's style more. Lukaku is still an excellent striker to have, he just won't be happy if he is not starting almost every match.

Is it the first match yet? Really can’t wait for the transfer window to close and for proper footy to start. Top 4 is the min next season no matter who we get in. That will be progression then build again from a position of strength.

Also, Solskjaer didn't cast him out or isolate him in the dressing room (a la Conte with Costa). He just told him Rashford was first choice, doesn't mean he discarded Lukaku. It just meant that Lukaku was rotational, and he feels he should be starting every match at this point in his career (which, props to him, is fair). Also, Lukaku under Mourinho bulked up a lot to try and suit his version of a strong target man. The Lukaku before that, using his physique to bully defenders, dropping deep and running at players (while being deceptively quick) does suit Solskjaer's play to an extent, and if he stays, that's what he will be looking to do.

Letting Lukaku out is not directly related to LT progression, it's more of Rashford suiting Ole's style more. Lukaku is still an excellent striker to have, he just won't be happy if he is not starting almost every match.

No it's not fair in my opinion that's my point, he's at a top level club like United and he wasn't playing well under Mourinho's last few months. Solskjaer comes in and prefers Rashford who starts playing well..... tells Lukaku he isn't first-choice...... that shouldn't suddenly be an incentive to leave. It's a weak mentality and I never called him a stirrer btw. Although I do think that Pogba/Lukaku in the dressing room still is just going to cause problems next season... that's my opinion. When things go south that dressing room will defo become toxic, not necessarily because of Lukaku but Pogba as well. It's a bad recipe to have players that want to go still here... if they are.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here guys, for me Lukaku doesn't deserve to be undisputed starter and he can't demand it either. He had that privilege in season one under Mourinho and props to him.... he scored the goals.

Any player when they are not playing well, deserves to be dropped and fight for their position... it's a basic principle of football to me. I don't get the modern footballer mentality of wanting to leave just because you're not suddenly number one.

Last edited:
what im most disgusted about in this window is raiola with the pogba saga he is not being sold for less then 100m so if a club isnt gonna pay that they need to shut up about moving... its just disgusting how pogba & raiola both operate dispicable humans

lukaku saga u can understand and i think we will have a better goalscorer at the perfect age in ben yedder if we go for him

what im most disgusted about in this window is raiola with the pogba saga he is not being sold for less then 100m so if a club isnt gonna pay that they need to shut up about moving... its just disgusting how pogba & raiola both operate dispicable humans

lukaku saga u can understand and i think we will have a better goalscorer at the perfect age in ben yedder if we go for him

Looking forward to the season, but we defo need to do some business in and out still, to be significantly better than last season. I'm. surprised we haven't actually got rid of more fringe players.

Still think we need CM (2 arguably if Pogba goes), RW and CB. We're not getting them all but at least cover two of those bases to gives yourself a chance this season. We didn't even replace Herrera.

Back