The Manchester United Thread

Great news coming out last night Simon Stoney, Ducker, Taylor, Wallace, Percy, Mitten, MEN, Everyone tweeting out at the same time that DDG has finally agreed to sign a new long term contract between 350-375k. Should be officially announced shortly :)

Its certainly been a great summer if we get this contract over the line

Great news coming out last night Simon Stoney, Ducker, Taylor, Wallace, Percy, Mitten, MEN, Everyone tweeting out at the same time that DDG has finally agreed to sign a new long term contract between 350-375k. Should be officially announced shortly :)

Talks are still progressing.

They tweeted the exact same thing last year. Lets wait until the club actually announce something

Ravel Morrison to Sheffield on a year deal with option to extend.

Call me pessimistic but I think he will be unemployed again this time next year

Ducker did an article last night on our current CB situation. Saying the club are actively looking at clubs for Rojo to be sold. Bailly, Smalling, Lindelof are going nowhere. And Phil Jones are being part of a discussed deal with Leicester in the Harry Maguire deal. Aston Villa want Tuanzebe back on loan but Ole will keep him if both Jones and Rojo do leave. That would be great buisness if we can shift Jones over to Leicester even though I guess that would make the deal a bit harder. If not keep him and Loan out Tuanzebe to Villa and stump up what Leicester want for Maguire cash wise.

Ducker did an article last night on our current CB situation. Saying the club are actively looking at clubs for Rojo to be sold. Bailly, Smalling, Lindelof are going nowhere. And Phil Jones are being part of a discussed deal with Leicester in the Harry Maguire deal. Aston Villa want Tuanzebe back on loan but Ole will keep him if both Jones and Rojo do leave. That would be great buisness if we can shift Jones over to Leicester even though I guess that would make the deal a bit harder. If not keep him and Loan out Tuanzebe to Villa and stump up what Leicester want for Maguire cash wise.
Honestly? I would rather keep Jones here. I really like the look of Tuanzebe, but he is still young, and a full season of PL football will really do good for his career. If Tuanzebe is retained, he would be 5th choice behind Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly and Smalling. While he will still get some games (Europa League, Cups?), if he can be an undisputed starter at Villa, I would prefer that, honestly. Even at the cost of retaining Jones. I want to get rid of Jones, but I'd like to see Tuanzebe's development more.

Honestly? I would rather keep Jones here. I really like the look of Tuanzebe, but he is still young, and a full season of PL football will really do good for his career. If Tuanzebe is retained, he would be 5th choice behind Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly and Smalling. While he will still get some games (Europa League, Cups?), if he can be an undisputed starter at Villa, I would prefer that, honestly. Even at the cost of retaining Jones. I want to get rid of Jones, but I'd like to see Tuanzebe's development more.
Don’t mind him staying provided he gets plenty mins in the cups etc. Anyway Hirst from the Times reckons it’s Bailly and Rojo faves to leave to make way for Tuanzebe to stay.

Are we that worried about new Brexit rules and potential foreign player squad limits? I can think of no other reason why we keep Jones over Bailly. I mean, both are injury prone, but when not injured, Bailly is miles ahead of Jones. Unless he wants to be a first teamer as opposed to a rotational role.

Both our Teams lineups.
Keep an eye on Philips, he has been amazing for us and realy key person in our structure.

Leeds:
View attachment 5392
Manchester:
View attachment 5389

Dont know why these are not shown as pic, forum is messing when adding pics.

Last edited:
We will be destroyed. Definetly when second half starts with fresh United players.

I understand why Bielsa did not want to take part of this tour.

Good match. Apart from the first 15 mins of each half where we were a bit sloppy. We played well again. Pressing. Playing at pace on the counter. Youngsters showing what there about. Nice to see a few tackles and competitive edge as expected against Leeds. Rashford finish was excellent as was Greenwood’s with clever movement to get ahead of the defender. On to the next :)

Interesting. OGS on Greenwood: "He has a chance to start against Chelsea. I won’t say it is not a possibility. It is a good possibility if he keeps going as he does."

Talking points: Romelu Lukaku intent on leaving Manchester United for Inter Milan

newpaul hirst, perth
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F52be681a-a8b0-11e9-89e4-5e7e89de8df9.jpg

ShareSave

El loco plans ahead

Marcelo Bielsa’s dedication to planning and detail in this pre-season campaign cannot be under-stated. Bielsa has split his Leeds United squad into two groups, with the fittest group — who came back a week earlier than the rest — coming to Australia for their matches against Manchester United and Western Sydney Wanderers. The other half of the squad stayed in England to get their fitness up to speed. Bielsa flew to Australia on Tuesday but he wanted to make sure that the players who were training in Perth were not slacking so he watched a live stream of the session on his phone on the flight over and relayed instructions to his assistants.

Bielsa even brought his famous blue bucket, which he sits on at Elland Road, to Perth with him. Bielsa sat on the bucket on the touchline during today’s defeat to United at the Optus Stadium. Bielsa was not entirely happy with he saw. A number of his players skied several shots, with Jack Harrison and Patrick Bamford among the worst offenders.
Lukaku absent again

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fc5fbffce-a8a9-11e9-89e4-5e7e89de8df9.jpg

Lukaku, front, is seeking a move to Inter Milan after two seasons at United
GARY DAY/FROZEN IN MOTION/REX

Romelu Lukaku was absent once again as he continues to hanker for a move to Inter Milan. It is understood that Inter will table a second bid for Lukaku in the coming days. The Italian club initially offered to take Lukaku on a two-year loan for a total of £63 million, payable in installments. Now they are expected to return with another bid of £60 million plus another £15 million in add-ons. United want £80 million for the forward, who was left out of the match-day squad after he suffered what Solskjaer described as a “knock” in training. Lukaku is the only outfield player not to feature for United on tour and the striker is convinced that his move to Inter will happen. It will be interesting to see if Lukaku plays in United’s next tour friendly which is against Inter in Singapore on Saturday. Solskjaer is certainly not happy that Lukaku missed today’s win and the victory over Perth Glory on Saturday.

“Of course it’s not ideal when you miss training sessions. He missed towards the end of the training session yesterday and he missed the game again today so he’s missed two chances to play 45 minutes,” Solskjaer said. “At this stage of the season it’s important for us we get everyone fit so hopefully he’ll be available soon.”
Change of formation
Solskjaer has been experimenting with different formations in training and United have now used two different systems in their two tour games. United played 4-3-3 in the 2-0 win over Perth Glory and today Solskjaer set his team up in a 4-2-3-1 formation. One consequence of playing 4-2-3-1 is that Paul Pogba has to play in a deeper role than he is used to. Today he played for 45 minutes alongside Scott McTominay in a double-pivot in front of the back four. Pogba complained about playing in that system under José Mourinho because he expected the Frenchman to stay deep and spray passes from in front of the back four, but Solskjaer is happy to give the 26-year-old more chance to get forward.

There were occasions today when Pogba was the deepest player on the pitch except the two centre-backs, but he ventured forward on plenty of occasions too. Pogba impressed in the first half, firing a low shot at goal, which Kiko Casilla, the Leeds goalkeeper, saved. A minute later, Pogba swiveled on the edge of the Leeds box before brushing past two white shirts only to see Casilla tip his shot wide. A fancy flick over Kalvin Phillips also impressed the crowd, as did the incisive pass he played into Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the build up to United’s first.
Mason Greenwood
One player who has benefitted from Lukaku’s absence is Mason Greenwood. The 17-year-old striker has been the talk of the academy for some time. He scored 30 goals in 29 games for the under-23s, under-19s and under-18s last season. Today he scored his first goal for the senior team by tapping in Wan-Bissaka’s cross from the right. United have been longing for a quick, exciting player to operate on the right wing for some time and Greenwood may just be the answer. Greenwood can play anywhere across the front three — and prefers to play centrally — but is equally as good with his left foot as he is with his right so the teenager could play on the right in order to cut in and shoot with his other foot. Solskjaer was very impressed with Greenwood, who will not be loaned out and is in contention to play the opening game of the season against Chelsea on August 11.

“You see a talented boy there and he’s got every opportunity to make it as a Man United player,” Solskjaer said. “Of course it’s also going to be about luck, staying clear of injuries, being professional and I’m sure he’s going to grab his chance because everything is there for him. “He’s got a chance to start that one [against Chelsea] definitely. He’s capable, more than capable.”

Back