The Manchester United Thread

Can’t believe the reaction to Duckers tweet tonight saying DDG 5+1 yr deal is agreed for 375k pw. Even some fans suggesting we should of let him leave on a free :O

People don't realise the outlay a goalkeeper would take to replace him..... you'll have a HUGE transfer fee plus the wages..... financially United are better off this way. It's a lot of money but it's still money saved ultimately.

People don't realise the outlay a goalkeeper would take to replace him..... you'll have a HUGE transfer fee plus the wages..... financially United are better off this way. It's a lot of money but it's still money saved ultimately.

We've been having the same conversation on SI forums. Oblak was the main choice and overall he would have cost far more. He would be over 100m on the fee alone

No matter your feelings on Young the constant booing he got yesterday was embarrassing imo. From being subbed on to every time he got the ball!

Yeah, I still don't get why he gets booed. He has been nothing but a professional. It's not his fault he was made to play more than ideal because we didn't have the necessary players. He is a utility man too, and can cover so many different positions on the pitch. Him, I was glad got a contract extension.

We've been having the same conversation on SI forums. Oblak was the main choice and overall he would have cost far more. He would be over 100m on the fee alone

My only worry with De Gea is why he has the same flaws that have been evident for a while now, even yesterday in Inter friendly. Didn't have anything to do really, but every time the high ball came in, he was flapping.

I'd like to see him command the area better, surely the goalkeeper coach works on this? Seems odd why he doesn't improve in this area, I know he's not the most brave keeper out there but surely this can be developed.

Just been watching the Utd on Tour and didn’t realise Ole had brought in 4 new fitness coaches since the end of last season.

Can’t believe the reaction to Duckers tweet tonight saying DDG 5+1 yr deal is agreed for 375k pw. Even some fans suggesting we should of let him leave on a free :O

I know Im a bit late on this one but I gotta get on this dogpile. Look at what Chelsea had to do, World Class goalkeepers are in short supply and every team that has one will push you to pay the buyout (Kepa was never leaving Athletic Club without it being triggered). Oblak would have been the same plus we would have to have paid him a lot because Atheltico have underpaid him for years.

De Gea spent two seasons looking like a god between the sticks with zero improvement from his defenders in front of him. Then with the defence getting worse he finally slumps and doesnt pull off worldies every week and we want him gone? I wanted him gone if he wanted to leave, but wanting him gone because you think hes no good, **** what football have you been watching the past 4 seasons.

I know Im a bit late on this one but I gotta get on this dogpile. Look at what Chelsea had to do, World Class goalkeepers are in short supply and every team that has one will push you to pay the buyout (Kepa was never leaving Athletic Club without it being triggered). Oblak would have been the same plus we would have to have paid him a lot because Atheltico have underpaid him for years.

De Gea spent two seasons looking like a god between the sticks with zero improvement from his defenders in front of him. Then with the defence getting worse he finally slumps and doesnt pull off worldies every week and we want him gone? I wanted him gone if he wanted to leave, but wanting him gone because you think hes no good, **** what football have you been watching the past 4 seasons.
Exactly lol! Honestly reading across everywhere on this you would think we just made Taibe the most highest paid GK....

Just watching the Inter game again. Absolutely fantastic watching that last 25/30 mins the youngsters mugging off Inter. Great stuff!

Through the whole game we created more than enough chances to score at least 6/7 gls maybe more inc 2 peno that defo should of been given and hitting the woodwork twice. Really don’t think we will struggle to create this season. Against Perth and Inter who practically played with 5 across the back and 4 infront we still created over 20 chances.

A CM or 2 and a CB and we could defo be a big surprise this season and could get silverware

Last edited:
I don't understand why we're not seemingly targeting a no.6 or any midfielder for that matter... the only slight link is Fernandes and that is pretty cold. This board does not seriously think they can allow Ole to go in next season with that current midfield..... McTominay - Pogba - Fred.... with depth consisting of Matic, Pereira and god knows who else.

Who was our alternative to Longstaff? If he was even plan A which I'm not sure he would be...... what an odd transfer window this is once again becoming. But ultimately not good enough if it stays like this.

Even IF we pull off Maguire (if that don't happen, no CB either... sigh).... the midfield is so mediocre when you take away a couple of players.. especially Pogba.

What are you talking about? We're not cold on Fernandes at all.

Let them have the window to actually do business. Sporting are currently trying to line up a Fernandes replacement. Leicester doing the same with Maguire.

Last edited:
Simon Mullocks posted a vid this morning saying Utd and Leicester have moved closer last night for the Maguire deal and how it will be structured for £80m fee. Few others reporting similar. But Mullocks our thete travelling with Utd on the tour. Hopefully get something done this week regarding this then get the CMs sorted.

Nicky **** confirmed as @ManUtd new head of 1st team development, reporting directly to OGS. He will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership.

Nicky **** is promoted to the new position of Head of First Team Development, reporting directly to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Nicky will work closely with the manager and the first team coaching staff to continue the strong bond between the Academy and the first team, to create a seamless journey for young players stepping up to the next level. He will continue to be a key contributor on all major Academy decisions and will be part of the Technical Board on wider football leadership.

Nick *** is promoted to Head of Academy. Nick will lead the full Academy programme and will head up both the coaching programme and the operational services, including sports science, education and analysis. In his role he will continue to work closely with Nicky **** and will report to John Murtough, Head of Football Development.

Ed Woodward, Manchester United Executive Vice Chairman, said:
“These changes will further enhance the excellent work and results we have seen over many decades in our Academy system and enable us to continue our proud traditions of producing world-class players capable of playing and excelling in the first team.”​

Nicky **** said:
“Manchester United is in my DNA and this is a very proud moment for me as I take on this new role. I am passionate about nurturing, developing and coaching the talent we have here to become top players at this club. Under Ole’s leadership, our vision will ensure that we continue to provide the right environment for our young players to thrive in.”​

Nick *** said:
“Having spent over 20 years working to support the development of young people, it is an honour to be asked to lead the Manchester United Academy. Traditionally we have always been leaders in creating an outstanding environment in which young footballers can thrive. Today's changes will further enhance the excellent structure that we have in place to maximise the potential of all of our young players.”​

So Fekir to Betis = Lo Celso to Spurs = Eriksen to ??

Given Madrid are split on Pogba and Eriksen, beginning to see why United are just holding a bit here.

Hirst of the times and the local Toon outlets all reporting we are going to up our offer for Longstaff and the player is confident off the move.

UNDER 23's: Team News to face Swindon Town first team.

XI
Woolston (GK)
Laird, Tanner,Mengi, Bernard
Hamilton, Barlow, Puigmal, Levitt
Bughail-Mellor, Ramazani

Utd are 1-0 down after 12 minutes

FT Swindon 1-1 United U23

Probably a fair result in the end. Swindon had the better of the 1st half, United the 2nd Levitt with Utds equaliser.

Last edited:
Ole on fan backlash 'Those sitting there refreshing transfer tabs and demanding we sign some teenager from a league they've never watched are pathetic and a small minority of fans. They need to get out, it is sunny in England no?'

It's good to hear him with a bit of fire!

also said Lindeløf is fit after going off. Chong also.

Very unlikely Lukaku will feature.

Last edited:
So according to Hirst and Duckers latest reports. Ed has stayed behind to push through the Maguire deal mainly. Will be making a fresh bid for Longstaff. And want one of Fernandes or Eriksen if Spurs will sell to us after completing the Lo Celsius deal. Have set Inter a deadline for Lukaku as they need to to replace him. With preferred Pépé or Yedder as another option.

Maguire, Fernandes, Longstaff, Pepe - yeah, sounds fanciful. Especially since there are what, only 2 weeks or so until the window closes?

Back