The Manchester United Thread

I know Greenwood is the one looking likely to breakthrough but I like the look of the other kid Angel Gomes. I read somewhere that he is only 5"5 and that it means he wont hack it in adult football. Hasn't he been one of the better players at every age level though which shows he never had physicality to fall back onto whilst climbing the youth ladder. Yous lot have some very talented kids coming through would hope one or two to break through during your transition period.

Hows Fred looked during the pre season because honestly I get Xhaka vibes from him as in he looks utterly lost in the PL. Is he even Brazilian because hes technique is so poor he takes forever to control the ball no wonder he struggles when pressed and asked to pass the ball under pressure. From what i've seen it loos like he might be Mourinho's biggest mistake along with Sanchez.

I know Greenwood is the one looking likely to breakthrough but I like the look of the other kid Angel Gomes. I read somewhere that he is only 5"5 and that it means he wont hack it in adult football. Hasn't he been one of the better players at every age level though which shows he never had physicality to fall back onto whilst climbing the youth ladder. Yous lot have some very talented kids coming through would hope one or two to break through during your transition period.
The stuff about Gomes height is a load of bull from certain fans looking for a reason for him not to get a chance under the Mourinho era. He’s an exceptional talent like Greenwood and Laird. And been playing ahead of his age at all levels club and international level. A couple of seasons ago you could say he was very slight in build but over the last couple of seasons he’s filled out and now a short sticky frame ala Tevez/Aguero. Though ability alone he definitely won’t struggle and as I’ve seen live lots of times he can definitely handle himself and can put in snappy challenges when he needs to.

Hows Fred looked during the pre season because honestly I get Xhaka vibes from him as in he looks utterly lost in the PL. Is he even Brazilian because hes technique is so poor he takes forever to control the ball no wonder he struggles when pressed and asked to pass the ball under pressure. From what i've seen it loos like he might be Mourinho's biggest mistake along with Sanchez.
Hes not really had a pre season so far due to getting married. Looked fairly good against Spurs playing deeper. Showing good composure and his passing was on point. Just needs to release the ball quicker and will be a great addition to the squad. Expect a Lindelof type of improvement from him this season now he’s had a year to get use to the pace of the league not worried about Fred at all. Think it’s sad how 90% of fans wrote him off after less than half a season, most likely the same ones who thought Lindelof was never gonna be good enough.

Gomes has been an exceptional talent so far. And the things is, he can play both behind the striker and in the midfield in a deeper role, as a playmaker. He will be really good, and ideally, should get minutes this season. Plus, I hate the conversation about height and build and it not being enough to cut it in PL. I mean, Scholes was our best player, and we haven't been able to replace him till date, and he was a midget.

Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Laird and Garner are the most promising talents coming out of our academy. (Excluding others like Tuanzebe and Henderson here). Let's see how they progress this season - even if they are sent out on loan, it'll be one where the playing style is similar to ours so that they get adjusted to the system. But most likely, they should make a breakthrough this season (maybe not Garner, but the others, definitely).

He wasn't a Mourinho signing and was never trusted. That's the long and short of it. Have a read back of the article zz posted, confirmed what some of us already suspected

I know Mourinho was our manager and he is long gone, and many have defended him giving youth a chance (and to be fair, stats wise, he has - he might not be the biggest believer, but he gave some a chance, albeit to make a point), but the point about how he treated youth in the article zZ posted was classless, especially from a club with a long-standing history and tradition for believing in youth.

From separating them from the first team to not bothering remembering their names, it is extremely disheartening and a lack of respect shown all around. More than anything else, that was what struck me about that article. That, and the piece around Pogba, which is quite jarring to what you regularly read in the media about him.

Gomes has been an exceptional talent so far. And the things is, he can play both behind the striker and in the midfield in a deeper role, as a playmaker. He will be really good, and ideally, should get minutes this season. Plus, I hate the conversation about height and build and it not being enough to cut it in PL. I mean, Scholes was our best player, and we haven't been able to replace him till date, and he was a midget.

Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Laird and Garner are the most promising talents coming out of our academy. (Excluding others like Tuanzebe and Henderson here). Let's see how they progress this season - even if they are sent out on loan, it'll be one where the playing style is similar to ours so that they get adjusted to the system. But most likely, they should make a breakthrough this season (maybe not Garner, but the others, definitely).
Hate the hieght/size talk bullshit!!!

I know Mourinho was our manager and he is long gone, and many have defended him giving youth a chance (and to be fair, stats wise, he has - he might not be the biggest believer, but he gave some a chance, albeit to make a point), but the point about how he treated youth in the article zZ posted was classless, especially from a club with a long-standing history and tradition for believing in youth.

From separating them from the first team to not bothering remembering their names, it is extremely disheartening and a lack of respect shown all around. More than anything else, that was what struck me about that article. That, and the piece around Pogba, which is quite jarring to what you regularly read in the media about him.
Looking forward to see how Fortune does with the u23s this season. They have looked good in pre season so far.

Simon Stone saying this morning a CB and CM will likely be coming before the window closes. And the 3rd signing looks to depend on Lukaku leaving which is edging closer.

Also says we have other options ready if we can get Maguire but says we are confident.

BBC article on pre season, the upcoming season, Youngsters and signings. Good read! https://bbc.in/2Kb9EwY

Last edited:
Hate the hieght/size talk bullshit!!!
Totally agree with you there, after all a certain Diego Maradonna wasn't exactly the biggest player and it never did him any harm in his early career (the less said about his latter career the better).

Sell Lukaku by Buy Fernandes

Sign Longstaff as CM/DM depth

Sign Maguire and sell Darmian and Rojo

Hope that’s how the rest of our window goes. Reports in Italy and Belgium that both Lukaku and Darmian haven’t traveled to Norway as there moves edge nearer.

I don't want someone for depth in that midfield, proven quality to replace Matic straight away ideally..... pay the Partey release clause and forget Longstaff. Newcastle don't want to sell and for £50m we can do so much better.

I don't want someone for depth in that midfield, proven quality to replace Matic straight away ideally..... pay the Partey release clause and forget Longstaff. Newcastle don't want to sell and for £50m we can do so much better.
We won’t pay 50m for Longstaff we will get him for less than that. And Fernandes will be the main CM/AM signing. Matic will be faded out. We won’t need a DM if pre season is anything to go by maybe only for Certain games. Forgot about Partey he’s not even a target that’s just who you as a fan want us to sign.

You keep making the assumption Partey wants to leave. He does not

United u23s Vs Ballymena
Woolston, Laird, Williams, Bernard, Mengi, Garner, Tanner, Barlow, Mellor, Levitt, Ramazani
Subs: Kovar, Carney, Galbraith, McGhee, Puigmal, Traore, Elanga

Really curious how this all plays out in what is only days left now because unless we're pulling a rabbit out of the hat... literally nothing is close. Maguire, nada (missed training just cos of the *****). Savic, Lazio president says today will only leave if a monumental bid..... nada. Longstaff..... Bruce and Ashley say he stays,

The only one that is slightly up in the air at the moment is Fernandes, it has gone a bit cold which may or may not be a good thing, however the only reliable journalists in relation to United have the same stance that this one doesn't happen unless Pogba goes. Which is baffling to me but there we go.

If we're relying on deals once Lukaku goes through then we'll probably run out of time and sign no one. As that one is going to the wire as well.

Actually according to Di Marzio, Maguire is close... Maddison posted on his twitter today that he missed training cos he had the *****, Wtf lol.

Back