The Manchester United Thread

So after 1+ month of top negotiating, we finally land Maguire......for what Leicester originally asked for. Like Mike has said on here on numerous occasions, it’s annoying when clubs waste so much time on the fee. Could’ve been integrated with pre-season mins by now.

Content with the signing. I don’t think he elevates us, and we’re getting our pants pulled down unless we recoup 30-40M from 2 of Rojo/Smalling/Jones, but he’s better than what we have - even if it isn’t by that much. Should complement Lindelof well. Let’s give him a chance.
He definitely elevates us and Leicester wanted 85-90m.

So after 1+ month of top negotiating, we finally land Maguire......for what Leicester originally asked for. Like Mike has said on here on numerous occasions, it’s annoying when clubs waste so much time on the fee. Could’ve been integrated with pre-season mins by now.

Content with the signing. I don’t think he elevates us, and we’re getting our pants pulled down unless we recoup 30-40M from 2 of Rojo/Smalling/Jones, but he’s better than what we have - even if it isn’t by that much. Should complement Lindelof well. Let’s give him a chance.

It could have been worse. Could've give them free 20-25m on top of asking price.

I rarely, if ever, defend Woodward - but we don't know the payment structure of the 80m. This might not matter to us fans, but if you're trying to buy 4-5 expensive high profile players this very much does matter. So if he's done it.jn a way that doesn't hammer our cash reserves then he's done very well. But we won't know for at least another financial quarter

Player wise, he elevates us a huge chunk. I'm not even a fan but he's a great signing

Also, in latest rumours, apparently Pogba is not part of the squad for AC Milan - some are reporting his back spasm, while others are reporting that he wants to force a move through. Remains to be seen.

I'm assuming that if we get Fernandes, we don't see him as a replacement for Pogba and sell him later on in the window. So far, I like the club's stance regarding Pogba. Guess we will see//

Also, in latest rumours, apparently Pogba is not part of the squad for AC Milan - some are reporting his back spasm, while others are reporting that he wants to force a move through. Remains to be seen.

I'm assuming that if we get Fernandes, we don't see him as a replacement for Pogba and sell him later on in the window. So far, I like the club's stance regarding Pogba. Guess we will see//

He had a back spasm. Solskjaer did a conference on this. So I'm not sure why this is being misreported. That doesn't stop him leaving mind. Juts really stupid that people are trying to make a story from nothing

Lets not forget that Leciester are now our rivals in the Premier League. So if Maguire told them he wanted to leave they drag their feet specifically to stop him from coming during our preseason. Remember they aren't in the business of making United better and since they had the contracted player they can choose wait it out for their own benefit.

Also to mikes point, its true we don't know the actual structure of this deal and how long Woodward stayed at 80 million negotiating this. We just get the reporting of player x bought for value y

He had a back spasm. Solskjaer did a conference on this. So I'm not sure why this is being misreported. That doesn't stop him leaving mind. Juts really stupid that people are trying to make a story from nothing
Annoying as **** tbh but hey they gotta get them clicks. Really can’t see Pogba going this late. Ole has given no impression of him leaving. And it’s been reported by most that Fernandes is completely separate to Pogba and Dybalas deal. And is likely CM coming that Ole wanted as both Fellaini and Herrera left.

On Ed. If he’s structured deals to be able to get Ole Jamess, AWB, Maguire, Dybala, Fernandes And Mandzukic then fair props to him. Then there’s still time to shift a couple out with the European window still open.

Last edited:
Romelu Lukaku was instructed to delete his tweet revealing confidential running speeds from a test on United’s tour last month. Didn’t go down well #mufchttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal

2nd fastest but apparently not been fit all pre-season? If he goes then fair enough but the way we have treated him this summer is shocking. Came back early, been nothing but professional as far as I can see but we have completely frozen him out, and by the look of this we have done nothing but lie about him not being fit. I get not playing him if we are selling him. Why give him minutes ahead of somebody that will actually be here this season. But the way we have treated him leaves a really sour taste

2nd fastest but apparently not been fit all pre-season? If he goes then fair enough but the way we have treated him this summer is shocking. Came back early, been nothing but professional as far as I can see but we have completely frozen him out, and by the look of this we have done nothing but lie about him not being fit. I get not playing him if we are selling him. Why give him minutes ahead of somebody that will actually be here this season. But the way we have treated him leaves a really sour taste

It's a straight line speed test. Nothing more. He's not been frozen out. That test is also a a little old. He's not been able to fully train. Can tell you from chatting to him on Thursday

Last edited:
Lukaku, so professional, he shares club confidential player data on social media to make himself look better of course.

United should take Kessie off Milans hands while they are together. cracking player.

Woopi do he's second fastest running in a straight line unfortunately for him you don't often run in a straight line over any sort of distance (unless your team is playing like Wimbledon in the 1980's) in a real match.

We've been bad in that first half, this midfield without Pogba is just frightening.

Last edited:
We've been bad in that first half, this midfield without Pogba is just frightening.
That pretty much was the case always. Other than Pogba, the only other midfielder we have who can cut through a defence with a killer ball, and has good vision is Mata (which was why it was so important that he sign an extension). And even then, they are not on the same level. Which is why retaining Pogba was important, and the reason for the moves for Fernandes/Savic.

Lukaku, so professional, he shares club confidential player data on social media to make himself look better of course.

He's trying to have a little fun. It's really not that confidential

That pretty much was the case always. Other than Pogba, the only other midfielder we have who can cut through a defence with a killer ball, and has good vision is Mata (which was why it was so important that he sign an extension). And even then, they are not on the same level. Which is why retaining Pogba was important, and the reason for the moves for Fernandes/Savic.

We need a Matic replacement tbh more than anything else.

We need a Matic replacement tbh more than anything else.
That was the reason for Longstaff. But credit to them for not being held to ransom for him, though. I reckon McTominay/Fred will be primed to play that role till we get a proper DM in.

Back