The Manchester United Thread

That 's fair. I'm really happy with Maguire, just worried about the amount we'll pay. If we spend 90 million in Maguire, if someday a player like Varane or Kouli becomes available, they'll cost more for us.

Also, let's remember that Mourinho wanted Maguire when he was cheaper too. For all the (fair) criticism he gets for his time in Utd, he got a lot of things right.

That 's fair. I'm really happy with Maguire, just worried about the amount we'll pay. If we spend 90 million in Maguire, if someday a player like Varane or Kouli becomes available, they'll cost more for us.

Also, let's remember that Mourinho wanted Maguire when he was cheaper too. For all the (fair) criticism he gets for his time in Utd, he got a lot of things right.
BBC saying 80m which is still less than what Leicester wanted. And in today’s market honestly for a top CB that will dramatically improve us it ain’t a lot.

One interesting thing about Maguire is when you look at the stats last season, him and Van Dijk are pretty much the same. ..... .

van Dijk's defensive stats are never going to be high mate He's rarely if ever out of position that he has to defend like players who have high stats do. I saw some twitter comparison between Van Dijk and Vidic trying to show Vidic had a far better season in said comparison down to much higher tackles, clearances etc. Which was a terrible misuse of stats that was lost on the lad making them.

It's like the arl brilliant quote from Maldini- 'If I have to make a tackle, then I've already made a mistake.'

D_hV_QbW4AYo3ob

van Dijk's defensive stats are never going to be high mate He's rarely if ever out of position that he has to defend like players who have high stats do. I saw some twitter comparison between Van Dijk and Vidic trying to show Vidic had a far better season in said comparison down to much higher tackles, clearances etc. Which was a terrible misuse of stats that was lost on the lad making them.

It's like the arl brilliant quote from Maldini- 'If I have to make a tackle, then I've already made a mistake.'

That's what interceptions cover...

Except I'm using the same kind of model our analysts, professional analysts and scouts use.

Not sure why you'd take that general point and comparison to a poor twitter post personally when I never referenced you once there like?

Not sure why you'd take that general point and comparison to a poor twitter post personally when I never referenced you once there like?

I'm not taking personally. I'm pointing out that people arent wrong to promote Maguire. Because he stacks up, and the defensive models show it.

Sky and BBC talking about Mandzukic now. Hope it comes off would be an excellent option. Also sounds like it’s just the image rights to Dybala deal that needs sorting.

Only time will tell if the fee is too much. The same was said about Van-Dijk when he moved if I remember, now they are saying it was a bargain, if he has a good season then the fee is forgotten. Transfer fees have gone through the roof this season the number of clubs who have broken their highest transfer fee is hardly surprising when you get clubs like Leicester, West Ham and Wolves paying over £30 million on players.

Sky and BBC talking about Mandzukic now. Hope it comes off would be an excellent option. Also sounds like it’s just the image rights to Dybala deal that needs sorting.

More than happy to take Mandzukic off their hands, great person I believe to have in the dressing room and he never stops running.

This sounds mad but Mandzukic is one of the best defensive strikers out there still... even at the age of 33. Not sure if it will happen, but the guy literally never stops running and pressing.

This sounds mad but Mandzukic is one of the best defensive strikers out there still... even at the age of 33. Not sure if it will happen, but the guy literally never stops running and pressing.

Probably one of the best pressing attackers in football

glad we got maguire over the line eventually and glad we didnt also pay above 80m because i would of been ****** if we paid 85m rather then 80 as leicester kept moving the goal posts... next up dybala really tho he looks like he has the ability to score from distance as well as poacher goals will be an amazing signing

On Amoyals latest CalcioLand podcast still saying Fernandes will join after they play Benfica in there version of the Portuguese Charity Shield this weekend.

So after 1+ month of top negotiating, we finally land Maguire......for what Leicester originally asked for. Like Mike has said on here on numerous occasions, it’s annoying when clubs waste so much time on the fee. Could’ve been integrated with pre-season mins by now.

Content with the signing. I don’t think he elevates us, and we’re getting our pants pulled down unless we recoup 30-40M from 2 of Rojo/Smalling/Jones, but he’s better than what we have - even if it isn’t by that much. Should complement Lindelof well. Let’s give him a chance.

Back