The Manchester United Thread

We need to be prepared to use the January window. And not wait till summer

The issue is not a lack of funds and hasnt been for 5 years. WE've spent more than virtually any other club in that period. We've just spent badly, and we usually fail to sell well. This time we might be selling well. and We've failed on one front - centre mid
Pretty much. Hence I said, cautious optimism. Also, CM was still a priority. It was always CB, RB, CM/Winger. 3/4 is still pretty good, it's just not a perfect window.

Although, that being said, I'm still surprised no team was interested in Fernandes. The price being too high?

Axel Tuanzebe will be staying with MUFC, rather than heading out on loan. Deserves it after good performances in pre-season.

Well, now that the window is closed, i must say i'm not optimistic at all. We've strengthened our defense, but we have a weaker midfield and attack with the absence of Herrera and Lukaku. And we needed a CM even before Herrera left.

I won't get into arguments because it's pointless, since the season starts this weekend. So i'll just hope that i'm really wrong.

Well, now that the window is closed, i must say i'm not optimistic at all. We've strengthened our defense, but we have a weaker midfield and attack with the absence of Herrera and Lukaku. And we needed a CM even before Herrera left.

I won't get into arguments because it's pointless, since the season starts this weekend. So i'll just hope that i'm really wrong.

Here's hoping that the following all have great seasons, as I fear our season depends on them: -

Pogba (Now more than ever)
Mctominay
Rashford
Martial (could be make or break, even though I think Rashford needs to step up big time also)
-----------

Don't get me wrong I could also mention our new signings, but if we are just going off the players that are already here Ole relies from last season.
I feel those above need to have great seasons to give us any chance. Everyone will play their part, but they are key.

Totally agree with this, it's the constant chopping and changing of the manager which got the club in this place to begin with. It is proven time and time again that a successful club usually has a long term management and or coaching set up, Liverpool had it in the 70's and 80's with their 'bootroom', Nottingham had it under Clough, Arsenal to a lesser extent have had it with Wegner and United had it with both Ferguson and Busby, stability at the top means stability at the bottom as well. United don't have that stability so are suffering.
Football has moved on though and Managers don't exist in the sense that they used to i.e total control over everything. What yous lot need is a director of football someone who sets the tone for the club on playing style, transfers etc... Fergie and wenger were essentially DOF and in the case of Fergie surrounded himself with the best coaches and knew when to delegate responsibility e.g coaching. Look at Chelsea they have fired managers left right and centre yet been successful for the most part. For Utd to be successful they need a DOF that way even if the manager is fired or let go you don't have to go through another transitional period. Also move Woodward away from anything football related that man is truly clueless and I feel for you as he is Rick Parry's regen in my eyes except he has come to torment you guys instead of us lol.

Here's hoping that the following all have great seasons, as I fear our season depends on them: -

Pogba (Now more than ever)
Mctominay
Rashford
Martial (could be make or break, even though I think Rashford needs to step up big time also)
-----------

Don't get me wrong I could also mention our new signings, but if we are just going off the players that are already here Ole relies from last season.
I feel those above need to have great seasons to give us any chance. Everyone will play their part, but they are key.

The funny thing is that i don't think any of these players underperformed last season.

The funny thing is that i don't think any of these players underperformed last season.

They didn't really, apart from Martial maybe (Rashford was a bit naff towards the end like everyone). But goals are needed by him and Rashford even more now. Greenwood can chip in as well as Sanchez I guess.... at a push.

Bar that spell under Ole and the odd match Pogba massively under performed. Rashford was about par but you expect that with younger players. Martial is the biggest one who seriously needs to up it. Any way like Mike said it’s the whole team that needs to step up.

Just read that if Greenwood scores 2 against the so called top 4 this season he will have scored more than Lukaku in his last 2 seasons :O

Football has moved on though and Managers don't exist in the sense that they used to i.e total control over everything. What yous lot need is a director of football someone who sets the tone for the club on playing style, transfers etc... Fergie and wenger were essentially DOF and in the case of Fergie surrounded himself with the best coaches and knew when to delegate responsibility e.g coaching. Look at Chelsea they have fired managers left right and centre yet been successful for the most part. For Utd to be successful they need a DOF that way even if the manager is fired or let go you don't have to go through another transitional period. Also move Woodward away from anything football related that man is truly clueless and I feel for you as he is Rick Parry's regen in my eyes except he has come to torment you guys instead of us lol.
You say that but at the same time you cannot deny both City and Liverpool have benefitted over the last couple of seasons by backing the manager and his choices, Chelsea may have bucked the trend but they only really succeeded by money being thrown at signings left right and centre hence why so many of their non-first team players end up on loan and why they are currently serving a transfer ban. Yes football has moved on and most clubs have DoF (that is the one position which United would benefit from to get Woody away from the transfer side of things (Gill was a money man as well but there was never any problem with him) but he won't do that as it would look like a demotion to him, whilst the Glazers won't replace him whilst he is getting corporate deals) but it still requires faith in the guy selecting the team week in week out. Put faith in a manager and the squad know exactly where they stand (even Jose had a plan a bad one but it was a plan of sorts).

It's all irrelevant now. Window is closed. No one is arriving till Jan 1 at the earliest. Don't care about the positives or negatives because nothing is changing. On to game one and I can't ******* wait.

Just an afterthought, since i'm pessimistic about our squad, i'll speak of Ole's work according to what i feel is realistic for us to achieve. I will not criticize him whatsoever if we don't end up in the top 3.

Just realized how ****** our midfield would be if Pogba ever got injured....not to mention our options up front...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Options up-top are still fine. Not brilliant, but fine. Let's hope Pogba hits top form, and remains injury free till January, at the very least. I'm still reasonably confident of making Top-4 in that scenario. If we had Dybala/SMS in, I would be confident of a Top-3 for sure. It's not all doom and gloom for sure. The problem was never ability last season, but motivation and drive, not to mention fitness. We reverted back to sitting deep due to injuries, and with that, our form started to wilt.

I have a sneaking suspicion Gomes will get some games this season, deputising for Pogba. Let's see. He has played a lot as a deep lying playmaker for the youth/reserves teams.

I'm still disappointed we didn't get another CM in, mind, but now, screw that. We fight with what we have. I'm excited for the start of the season!

attachment.php

Back