The Manchester United Thread

1-0 Utd already Ramanzani from a great Garner pass.

2-0 Mellor. Fantastic work by Laird :) him and Williams at LFB have been superb as everyone tbh. We look fantastic at this age under Woods and Quinton Fortune

3-0 Garner with an absolute screamer. No Gk was saving that :O Ramanzani reminds me of a mini Mane. And Puigmal is such like Gomes type player it’s uncanny!

4-0. Great play by Williams getting in the box and brought down. Levitt scores from the spot

Last edited:
Jesus Garner's smashed that, hope he gets a a couple of chances this yr.

Omg stop. Gomes isn't better than Mata. He isn't even better than Greenwood.

I didn't say he was, just saying that Gomes should be hot on the heels and if Mata doesn't perform then let him have a shot. His pre-season form has been impressive enough to warrant competing for starting 11 spot if a senior player isn't performing. That goes for Lingard, Matic and all the rest of them to be fair.

Last edited:
Are we going to just see Gomes in reserves all season again if Mata performs as average as last season? That's my worry.

1. The whole team was average last season. A few even below average.

2. Mata is constantly played out of position.

3. On the odd occasion he's actually been played as an out an out #10 in a full first team selection, he's been good.

Not even had a game yet and your moaning about team selections and who's going to be playing.

1. The whole team was average last season. A few even below average.

2. Mata is constantly played out of position.

3. On the odd occasion he's actually been played as an out an out #10 in a full first team selection, he's been good.

Not even had a game yet and your moaning about team selections and who's going to be playing.

Is everything that is a discussion classed as moaning these days? Jeez, Sherkey brought up the conversation about the no.10 spot and I just politely replied that Gomes deserves a shot this season.

As much as I trust Ole's word that he will play the youth, we do have to remember that last season we heard the same and they didn't really get much time. Bar the last game of season and the PSG away injury crisis when they were subbed on (Chong & Greenwood).

Gomes didn't get a look in last season tbf, I actually think he's less raw than Chong and will offer something to us this season. Lets hope we see him at some point, as he is a massive talent. Pre-season he looks more ready then ever to make an impact.

Last edited:
Finished 5-0 the u23s 9/10 performances from everyone. Good times ahead with these young talents and under Woods and Fortune.

See Martial got his #9 back :)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's two other summer buys, Daniel James and Aaron Wan-Bissaka, have been allocated no.21 and no.29 respectively.

Meanwhile, Angel Gomes and Mason Greenwood have been officially assigned to the shirts they were wearing during the squad's pre-season tour with Angel in no.28 and Mason donning no.26.

1: David De Gea
2: Victor Lindelof
3: Eric Bailly
4: Phil Jones
5: Harry Maguire
6: Paul Pogba
7: Alexis Sanchez
8: Juan Mata
9: Anthony Martial
10: Marcus Rashford
12: Chris Smalling
13: Lee Grant
14: Jesse Lingard
15: Andreas Pereira
16: Marcos Rojo
17: Fred
18: Ashley Young
20: Diogo Dalot
21: Daniel James
22: Sergio Romero
23: Luke Shaw
24: Tim Fosu-Mensah
26: Mason Greenwood
28: Angel Gomes
29: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
31: Nemanja Matic
36: Matteo Darmian
37: James Garner
38: Axel Tuanzebe
39: Scott McTominay
40: Joel Pereira
44: Tahith Chong

Last edited:
That aside, I honestly think Gomes will have more chances in CM this season. Maybe deputising for Pogba in Cups occasionally (or coming off as a sub for Pereira). I like Mata much better, and Gomes, for all his short build, is surprisingly physical at times, and has a tackle in him. Plus, he can take the ball and drive it forward. So, I reckon he will be introduced in the team this season, but barring an injury crisis up-top, it is more likely he is seen as a CM.

But yeah, zZ, Gomes is not better than Mata at #10, as it stands. However, it is a great opportunity to learn from both Pogba and Mata, with a view to eventually replacing one of them (Mata?)

U18s vs Sunderland today

At Aon Training complex
Kick-off at 12:30pm
Live on MUTV

1st League game of the Season for the #Mufc u18s today:
United v Sunderland at Carrington (12.30ko)
(Today’s team sheet)

Last edited:
Why dont you start xyz youngster? In this case Gomes. Well thats because in football world, when compared to someone like Mata, he's nobody. Mata is much better football player from what we saw in last 2 years. But the great thing is - we have a manager who will drop someone like Mata and without doubt give the chance to someone like Gomez if the former does not perform. And the best thing is - Gomes will get his chance regardless of Mata, its just question will he take it and make that spot his.

Why dont you start xyz youngster? In this case Gomes. Well thats because in football world, when compared to someone like Mata, he's nobody. Mata is much better football player from what we saw in last 2 years. But the great thing is - we have a manager who will drop someone like Mata and without doubt give the chance to someone like Gomez if the former does not perform. And the best thing is - Gomes will get his chance regardless of Mata, its just question will he take it and make that spot his.
Nailed it

U18s 2-0 up atm goals from McCann and Elanga. Carrick, McKenna, Ole, Fortune, **** watching checking out the next batch of talent coming through.

Like what I’m seeing from last night and this morning. Same high intensity high pressing attacking football as Ole wants to play with the first team. 4231 also. Looks like the club is now in sync at all levels.

U18s 2-0 up atm goals from McCann and Elanga. Carrick, McKenna, Ole, Fortune, **** watching checking out the next batch of talent coming through.

Like what I’m seeing from last night and this morning. Same high intensity high pressing attacking football as Ole wants to play with the first team. 4231 also. Looks like the club is now in sync at all levels.

Only about 30 years behind Barcelona and about 40 behind Ajax. Better late than never eh lol

Only about 30 years behind Barcelona and about 40 behind Ajax. Better late than never eh lol
Finished 3-0. Elanga was absolutely incredible. Won’t be in the u18s long if he keeps up that kind of performance. Mengi stood out at CB. Nice to see new signing Hoogewerf get some mins. And Shola Shortire who I would say is on the same level talent wise as Greenwood playing well ahead of his years. Lot of talent at every age group now and not just good talent, top talent.

Back