The Manchester United Thread

It is crazy that they are allowed to play with injury. Even with thin squad this shows bad man management. You cut your losses then with youth players, not play guys for them to break even more and have worse injury in the end.
Don’t think it’s anything serious. Some thigh muscle injury I think. Problem is all our other cbs have been injured even at U23s level except Mengi but he’s only 17 I think. It’s another role that TFM could do a decent job in. Especially in cup games/europa

But you did pay £80 million for him mate and made him the most expensive CH in World football in so doing. Along with another £50 for AWB making him what, the 5/6th most expensive defender of all time?

When you lay-out that, you're paying for elite, difference-making players. That's the barometer when the stakes are that high. That's why we waited, after the initial F up that cost us another £20 million on him, another 6 months for VVD. Top bracket, the difference-making ability for the best out there. Neither of which they've been. Saying they're better than what you had/ have played well in certain games is a grasping justification of that.

Maguire has been a bang average defender in this league this year. If van Dijk, who BTW has dipped on his superhuman form of last season, had dipped to those levels he'd be getting slated all over. The tackle stat on AWB is a great one that gets thrown up on social media all the time. Some divvy's even try use it to say he's better than Trent. When often he's been throwing in last-ditch recovery tattles this year as he's been caught out of position in the first place! That oft used line from the summer that he never gets beat one-on-one has soon disappeared now he's on an island by himself and not protected in the Hodges ultra-defensive system ay? And all that's no real slight on AWB. He's still really raw and inexperienced. Both in age and top-level experience. He'll develop. Should add to the attacking side too going forward being he's a former winger still learning the position. But at present, he'd just a very highly-priced version of Nathanial Clyne.

I think it's been that long since there's been consistently high level defending at Utd that anything that's better than Jones/ Smalling et all is seen as a big positive to hang hope on.

But when the fees paid have been so ridiculous, and the standards aren't matching that, then rightly or wrongly that's what they'll get hold up against.

That's a good point. Even when we signed Maguire, a common phrase amongst United fans was "he's better than Jones and Smalling". Now, that isn't a high bar but it's something we clinged onto.

I'm just grasping onto this straw that adding a quality DM will improve us defensively that that straw is very thin lol.

He's definitely not given us 80 millions worth and I guess for the money paid, he's been "average". I do believe he isn't vocal enough and we don't have a proper DM to shield that back 4. As a result, they're put under a lot of pressure. I don't criticize AWB as I know he will improve. I'm a lot more confident that overtime, he'll quite rightly justify his fee.

Very strange the AWB is the new Nath Clyne now. Well I’ve heard it all! He was ***** yesterday no doubt! He looks absolutely shot imo needs rotating a bit. Hopefully not Dalot and TFM are fit he will get some rest time.

It's not a 'new' thing. It's always been the most apt comparison. Not least with both coming out of Palace. Both rapid, solid defensive, FB's. ***** going forward.

Everything AWB brings to the table is what you'd describe in Clyne's skill-set. Who would be challenging Trent to be our first choice RB, giving a consistent 7 out of 10, were it not for that type of FB not fitting into the way we play football now.

Oh really now mate? Tell me, Matip had consistently performed consistently at a high level before VVD init? He marshalled the lot to clean sheet after clean sheet? Cmon mate. I remember 2-3 years ago how your lot would always Moan about every Joel Matip error on the Liverpool thread.

Oh he was utter *****. No question. I'd have binned him two summer's ago.

Matip's always had the ability. He was bossing the position the Bundesliga when we usurped Bayern to snag him. Started off brilliant here justifying all those defensive categories he was up the top in, in Germany. Then got injured and came back a shadow of the player. A CH who didn't like physical contact. Which was more annoying given his size. Positionally all over. ***** the air. His whole game went to pot. So there's no question playing alongside van Dijk has helped him get his confidence back and helped elevate him back to the top drawer level he's been at all the last calendar year. His main issue now is staying healthy.

But I'd now be pretty confident, if big Virg went down for a spell, you wouldn't see much of a drop off defensively with Gomez and a combination of Matip and Lovren.

Yanno what was always the single biggest factor back there? As World-class and difference-making as van Dijk has been? Sorting out the goalie situation.

The defence as a whole under Klopp was never that bad in terms of they never really gave up many big chances per game. And the defensive record has improved season-on-season under him. (He was a defender for much of his career and knows the importance of that end of the park well which often gets overlooked.). It was the clown between the posts that was the biggest issue of all. Most every shot he faced, went in! And the indecision just spread panic through the lot of them (and the crowd) as they never knew WTF he was going to do behind them!

van Dijk's made a massive difference naturally. But he's far from the soul difference back there. (Much better FB play and overall team defensive protection as we've evolved have all played a part.). It's far from a one-man group.

Last edited:
..... and we don't have a proper DM to shield that back 4. As a result, they're put under a lot of pressure. I don't criticize AWB as I know he will improve. I'm a lot more confident that overtime, he'll quite rightly justify his fee.

Wouldn't disagree with either of that.

You don't have a competent one of the former. And the difference between AWB and the Clyne comparison right now is Wan-Biasaka is young and with a lot of development and room for improvement to go. Clyne is the set style of FB he is and that isn't changing at this veteran stage of his career.

The other issue for me is not only we don't have a DM but also..... the GK..... De Gea has no presence whatsoever. It must make the defence so uncertain any time the ball goes in the box knowing he'll barely ever come to command the area.

For me yesterday once again he was slightly fortunate to get away with VAR chalking that goal off, because Van dijk didn't do a whole lot wrong to make him drop that ball.

The other issue for me is not only we don't have a DM but also..... the GK..... De Gea has no presence whatsoever. It must make the defence so uncertain any time the ball goes in the box knowing he'll barely ever come to command the area.

For me yesterday once again he was slightly fortunate to get away with VAR chalking that goal off, because Van dijk didn't do a whole lot wrong to make him drop that ball.

Never even complained about it until the ball went in. (Although of course in the wonderfully deluded World of Ole it was a blatant foul.). He should have been taking the ball and van Dijk.

Mad how he's completely dropped off a cliff. And ever since he got the new contract putting his salary at the most of any goalie the World. Prior to that, even though he'd dipped over the past few years, he was still in the conversation for the best goalie in the World. Now, you'd struggle to make a case for him being in the top 4/5 the PL.

Completely feel you on the uncertainty with him and the defenders. Had that in abundance with Mignolet. But it is mad how his career his just stalled and regressed SO rapidly. I mean there's the old adage that goalies only as good as the defence in front of him but his decision making has markedly decreased. He's no longer first choice for Spain either right now right? That's the Chelsea fella I believe.

Never even complained about it until the ball went in. (Although of course in the wonderfully deluded World of Ole it was a blatant foul.). He should have been taking the ball and van Dijk.

Mad how he's completely dropped off a cliff. And ever since he got the new contract putting his salary at the most of any goalie the World. Prior to that, even though he'd dipped over the past few years, he was still in the conversation for the best goalie in the World. Now, you'd struggle to make a case for him being in the top 4/5 the PL.

Completely feel you on the uncertainty with him and the defenders. Had that in abundance with Mignolet. But it is mad how his career his just stalled and regressed SO rapidly. I mean there's the old adage that goalies only as good as the defence in front of him but his decision making has markedly decreased. He's no longer first choice for Spain either right now right? That's the Chelsea fella I believe.
Moreno recently said he will continue to rotate his keepers and has no first choice.

I think it's time we really started to address the GK situation as well. Idk what happened to him but since the WC, DDG has been a mere Shadow of his former self. I was a bit surprised firmino's goal was ruled out but I guess it was a call in our favor. VVD hands weren't up or anything when he was challenging for the ball so DDG should've been stronger. Mistakes like that are starting to become a regularity in his game so he's becoming more and more like Lloris.

We may need to go through the headache of searching for a GK replacement (and I absolutely dread this).

I think it's time we really started to address the GK situation as well. Idk what happened to him but since the WC, DDG has been a mere Shadow of his former self. I was a bit surprised firmino's goal was ruled out but I guess it was a call in our favor. VVD hands weren't up or anything when he was challenging for the ball so DDG should've been stronger. Mistakes like that are starting to become a regularity in his game so he's becoming more and more like Lloris.

We may need to go through the headache of searching for a GK replacement (and I absolutely dread this).
We already have one. They will be literally no head ache. Hopefully this new GK coach can get DDG back on form. If not then he should be replaced by DH.

Maybe he should become the regular keeper until the end of the season, anyone who can walk away from manging to do that is either lucky (United can do with a bit more defensive luck) or ****** skilled.

Jesus. What speed was he doing there?

Lucky, lucky boy. Glad he's ok.

On the other hand, some Lamborghini dealership is rubbing there hands together at a new sale.

Jesus. What speed was he doing there?

Lucky, lucky boy. Glad he's ok.

On the other hand, some Lamborghini dealership is rubbing there hands together at a new sale.
Don’t know if true or not. But someone translated an article from his country saying he was doing 60 something and hit some black ice. Never mind the car needs a new jacket by the looks of it ?

De Gea needs to look out Henderson is hot on his tail, he's proving last season was no fluke, meanwhile De Gea is looking more and more like he is on the downward slope.

De Gea needs to look out Henderson is hot on his tail, he's proving last season was no fluke, meanwhile De Gea is looking more and more like he is on the downward slope.

Remains to be seen how he'd handle it 'if' he ever gets the chance but it's a WHOLE other level of pressure playing for them and being the last line for Utd every week.

Which I think LI was referring to above.

Last edited:
Agree. Henderson wouldn’t even bother a jot been Utds first choice keeper. Wouldn’t bother him one bit.

Henderson is a perfect all round keeper. Great shot stopping. Comes of his line and sweeps. Good with his feet but not great. Very good in the air for balls and he won’t give 2 ***** about taking anyone out or giving his players some either of mistakes are made. His mentality and attitude have been top draw and taken to every level like ****.