The Manchester United Thread

Been very impressive on the whole this season. But there's no way of knowing how he'd handle the massive difference in pressure until he's actually in that position.

He cost Sheffield United the crucial opening goal in both games against ourselves this season with terrible blunders. Did what he had to outside of that. But very costly mistakes all the same. If those happened in a Utd shirt, it's all over Sky for a week pulling him to bits. WORLDS of difference in being Utd's starting goalie and Sheffield United's.

I get what people would have some doubts obviously it’s a different pressure. But he literally can’t do anymore than he has done and to a very good level. People doubted him when we started loaning him out in league one at a young age and he excelled. People doubted him on his first spell in the championship and again he did well. People said how could he handle a bigger club in the championship he excelled again all this while being great at international youth level to. People again saying last seasons end not sure he will handle the prem and pressure of the league and again he’s taken to it like a duck to water. Yes that question will be there but until he’s given a chance which he has definitely earnt and deserves then we won’t know.

Remains to be seen how he'd handle it 'if' he ever gets the chance but it's a WHOLE other level of pressure playing for them and being the last line for Utd every week.

Which I think LI was referring to above.
Pretty much. Sheffield United play this rather defensive, compact structure and I'm sure DH reaps the fruits of that approach but how does he fare playing in a team that holds a high line? Does he have the composure to build play from the back?

There are just a lot of question marks. Replacing a GK is never that simple. You need the one that's not only competent but the right fit for the team. I remember the transition from Schmeichel to Edwin Van der Sar, we had a lot of duds in between and so was the case from Van Der Sar to DDG.

This is why I'm going to dread this and it comes at the worst time while we're tryna sort out 99 problems.

Pretty much. Sheffield United play this rather defensive, compact structure and I'm sure DH reaps the fruits of that approach but how does he fare playing in a team that holds a high line? Does he have the composure to build play from the back?

There are just a lot of question marks. Replacing a GK is never that simple. You need the one that's not only competent but the right fit for the team. I remember the transition from Schmeichel to Edwin Van der Sar, we had a lot of duds in between and so was the case from Van Der Sar to DDG.

This is why I'm going to dread this and it comes at the worst time while we're tryna sort out 99 problems.
She’d Utd play a structured approach but there far from defensive from when I’ve watched most there games. Same in the championship also.

Would not say defensive. They have center backs who overlap. Lot of movement from all back line and midfield to cover them, thus Dean has lot of communication also to do.

Got this weeks lottery #'s there whilst you're at it mate?
He probably has.... That said I think Henderson had already proved this season that he can handle the pressure 8 clean sheets I believe so far in the Premiership including one against Arsenal, only 19 Premiership goals conceded, not bad for a goalie playing for a promoted side. Oh and I believe you, yourself actually said after the game in September (lucky for you it was in the posts that disappeared when the site crashed so I can't quote it directly) that he is probably better than De Gea.

He probably has.... That said I think Henderson had already proved this season that he can handle the pressure 8 clean sheets I believe so far in the Premiership including one against Arsenal, only 19 Premiership goals conceded, not bad for a goalie playing for a promoted side. Oh and I believe you, yourself actually said after the game in September (lucky for you it was in the posts that disappeared when the site crashed so I can't quote it directly) that he is probably better than De Gea.

Scouse said that? I highly doubt it. DDG may have fallen off but he's still got game saving saves in him

...... Oh and I believe you, yourself actually said after the game in September (lucky for you it was in the posts that disappeared when the site crashed so I can't quote it directly) that he is probably better than De Gea.

Awww, mate. If you're gonna' try that nonsense, it might be better to pick a game he didn't make a horrendous mistake in that cost his side the game. ;)?

Every top goalkeeper had dips in form, even the all time greats like Kahn (who had brainfarts more often than not) or like Buffon who had troubles with goals at the near post, then from long shots....
De Gea being top 3 goalkeeper in the world for 10 years is amazing. Its beyond amazing. Sure, he's 'only' in top goalkeeper category in last 2 seasons, and thats still better than 95% goalkeepers in any top league.
That alone gives him excuse to try to find his second wind and become best GK in the world again. De Gea is not the problem, stop making it like it is.

De Gea is not the problem, stop making it like it is.
I think it is combination of things: club is not doing well, back line is swapping and no clear leader(no clear leader in club), managers are swapping, pressure from fans and media for being mess of a club year after year. He has been part of it all, It takes mental toll on any pro athlete and I think it shows on him now. Think he is still superb GK, but might really need a change of club to get confident back and just new environment.
We are taking too often players granted and dont imagine what mental effects they can have(yeah yeah they earn ton of money, but we are all humans)

It is crazy that they are allowed to play with injury. Even with thin squad this shows bad man management. You cut your losses then with youth players, not play guys for them to break even more and have worse injury in the end.

I was just reading Henry Winter saying Utd knew Rashford had a stress fracture in his back. Yet chose to bring him on against Wolves and now it's a double stress fracture and him our 2-3 months.

If that's right then serious questions need asking of the manager and medical staff advising him. That's potentially putting a career at risk with how backs go.

And people have the audacity to question Pogbas decision to trust his private team of doctors more.

Ole in his presser.

No new injuries. Bailly, Dalot, TFM all in contention. Tuanzebe not far away. More youth will get chance.

Mata likely to start. Looking at Ramanzani to bolster attacking options after impressing for the U23s.

On fan discontent
A lot of fans who look at the money that’s spent here and where you are in the league and think that’s not acceptable?
You can look back at history and of course we know we’re not where we want to be and should be and historically have been, just down to us now to work better. I’ve been here 13 months, my experience with the players we’ve brought in have been good so no complaints whatsoever.

On transfers. Basically says you can never guarantee anything till it’s 100% happens. And we tell you when it does.

Did he had any comments on Rashford on why he was used when back injruy?

Edit: Saw it now:

OGS on Rashford: “He's not had that injury before, no. He complained a little bit after Burnley, he felt it the first time, and we managed him as well as we could then. This was a new injury.”

Last edited:
Did he had any comments on Rashford on why he was used when back injruy?

Edit: Saw it now:

He did say they 'took strides forward' and are 'on the right track' as they 'took the game to the last kick of the ball' Sunday if that helps?

Unconfirmed rumours that Roy Hodgson is planning legal action on Ole for taking the Hodges patented cringe B/S to a whole new level.