The Manchester United Thread

To be fair mate nott even Messi is making up the ever-growing gap from Utd challenging for the league. Let alone Pogba deciding to dedicate himself.

22, 17, 15, 24, 19, 32, and (currently) 38 points. They are the gaps between Utd and first from the last time you challenged for the title in Ferguson's last season when you last won it.

The last two years it's been seismic. There's a LOT more than Pogba needed to pull that back.

You need to be topping 90 now just to be in the conversation of challenging. That's the mad standard currently and it's not going to drop anytime soon so long as L'pool and City are pushing each other.

While I think we are far from challenging for the title, I feel you do exaggerate what is needed. Liverpool finished like what? 24 point behind the city team than finished with a century of points. You added a couple of players in VVD and Allison, and cut that gap down to just 1 point (well, Naby Kieta as well but barely featured in the first team).

All it takes is just the right signings that can cut that gap.

While I think we are far from challenging for the title, I feel you do exaggerate what is needed. Liverpool finished like what? 24 point behind the city team than finished with a century of points. You added a couple of players in VVD and Allison, and cut that gap down to just 1 point (well, Naby Kieta as well but barely featured in the first team).

All it takes is just the right signings that can cut that gap.

The key difference being the man in charge setting the highest levels right through the football club from day one.

L'pool has been progressing and evolving each season under Klopp. Naturally, those two big signings of World-class quality has made a big difference. As it would to any side. But the side was on the upward trajectory to getting back to consistently challenging regardless. 2 finals his first year. Champions League football reclained his second. Then mirroring up a top 4 season with a CL Final appearance. Through the last two years. With the side still having levels to go.

Whereas under Solksjaer, you've regressed.

IMO, your three biggest problems are ownership and GM. Neither of which are changing anytime soon so that just is what it is and you hope for the best as far as recruitment. And the out of his depth manager. Before you get back to the recruitment side and all that's needed there.

The two clubs are operating on completely different levels and until that's sorted, a few right signings are not going to cut into that gap to any significant degree.

24 points, albeit with a CL Final run, was huge. Over 32 points the last 2 seasons and growing is gigantic.

To be fair to ole, one thing you can't deny that he's done is set a marker down. He knows what it takes to play for this club and the players he wants. He's getting rid of the **** as much as he can and getting players that want to play. Barring pogba still being here, which I think is more down to the top brass than ole, he's got rid of what he can when he can. Add another summer of deadwood going, mainly Sanchez and his wages and a few good signings then we could be comfortable top 4. That's the best step in my eyes.

I'm realistic. Even with signings in the summer were not winning the league. The next step is comfortably getting top 4. Then add again and challenge.

I've said it before and it's obvious. What ole is doing with the squad is what we have needed for years. Get the **** out and get players that want to play. From a guy who knows the club. Bad thing is he's in the wrong job. His vision is spot on. But as a manager he's nowhere near good enough. Ole should be DOF and continue to mould (no pun intended) the club the way he's doing. It's spot on. But when it comes to winning games we need a world class manager at a world class club. And ole isn't that

Don’t think we have regressed under Ole at all tbh. Yes a lot of his problems this season have been bought on himself mainly leaving us with a paper thin squad especially after the horrendous amount of injuries we have had to key players. It’s been a case of short term pain for long term gain imo. Think we will have a strong end to the season if our injury problems are over.

We've been picking up decent form lately. I think it's 5 wins in 7 games now. Not too shabby

6 clean sheets in the last 7
18 goals for, 1 against. We are definitely better under Ole. Pressing the most noticeable improvement. Far more attacking and against the big teams we have been excellent. No surprise since Bruno has come in we have scored 8 gls against weaker opposition one thing we have majorly struggled with. No surprise relying on Peirera, Lingard to unlock teams. And we looked solid at the back also.

Not saying we are gonna be title winners in a year or 2. But if we continue to see improvement and more good signings under Ole then I will be happy moving forward.

Shaw and Williams pushing each other is a good thing for the team. Looks like it’s lit a fire under Shaws ****.

Just over a month ago it look like Williams has become our first choice LB, but now Shaw is back at it. And is showing is best form since before his leg break. Looks fit and has been consistently good for the last few months.

I don't even know the team we drew. When I saw Lask, I thought it was a cologne brand

Must have some good quality about them to be topping Salzburg in the Bundesliga. RBS have been better/ given us a harder game, than maybe 75/80% of the PL teams this year. And they’re having a terrific European campaign. Just looking at there reemergence they’ve progressed rapidly year-on-year the last 3 since returning to the Austrian top flight under new ownership 3 seasons back.

Not that it will doubtless mean much to anyone here reading, but Linz looks a gorgeous City. After having such a boss time in Salzburg December I’d love that trip.

jb8521
@jb_8521
By no means the first player who has spoken of what a positive impact Carrick's coaching, attention to detail & footballing knowledge has had on them but people still continue to say he shouldn't be there & does nothing because he doesn't resemble a rabid dog during games
United Peoples TV
@UnitedPeoplesTV
NEW: Our exclusive interview with @Fred08

Simon Wells Ole personal scout was watching Chiesa last weekend and will again this as reported by a few sources.

OMG, yes! Chiesa, for the right price, would be a brilliant signing
Really? When I watch Fiorentina, he always seems almost useless. He'll dribble past one player then shoot 5 yards off target. Or pass to no one. He's not even particularity quick. The reported 60m euros for him is way too much in my eyes.
But its hard when you excuse Sancho from that conversation about wingers. And even though Sancho can be frustrating from time to time, I would still pay double the Chiesas reported asking price for him.