The Manchester United Thread

It's the FA Cup semi-final. The best chance all 4 sides (City aside who already have one trophy bagged) have of winning a trophy this season as I type.

It'll be one massive surprise from the norm if all 4 teams aren't full strength.

Thankfully most managers don't think like some fans do when silverware is on the line.

Just seen a pic of Williams driving into training this morning his face is a mess so can’t see him playing.

It's the FA Cup semi-final. The best chance all 4 sides (City aside who already have one trophy bagged) have of winning a trophy this season as I type.

It'll be one massive surprise from the norm if all 4 teams aren't full strength.

Thankfully most managers don't think like some fans do when silverware is on the line.
EFL CUP:
Aston Villa 5 - 0 Liverpool

Liverpool fielded u23 + u18 players. None of them are part of first team. Stop talking bull*hit.

EFL CUP:
Aston Villa 5 - 0 Liverpool

Liverpool fielded u23 + u18 players. None of them are part of first team. Stop talking bull*hit.

Are you for real?

Not that the 4 teams involved in the Cup this weekend have anything to do with L'pool, but as you brought that bunkum up, 2 games in 24 hours on two different continents where the club had no choice but to field a full team of ressie's (in what was the furthest thing from a 5-0 defeat imaginable but regardless), now equates to a major FA Cup semi-final?

*Edit* 2 games in LESS than 24 hours sorry. It was THAT ridiculous a position the Football League put the football club in.

Last edited:
Inter director Marotta on Alexis Sanchez:”We aren’t discovering him today, he’s now showing his quality. Manchester United owns his rights, we’ll evaluate situation while knowing he must be purchased”

A lot of our best players are knackered ATM and can't play all 3 games within the space of 9 days (AWB, Bruno, Martial, Rashford etc). I don't expect any of these players to start that game. I'd love to win some silverware but UCL qualification holds more dire ramifications in the upcoming transfer window. Besides, if we beat Chelsea, we'll likely face city in the final. City, despite having an off season, are still a brilliant team and are better than us. Granted, we've beaten them this season already, Pep's finals record doesn't give me a lot of optimism.

If silverware is important, we can still look forward to the Europa league. City is better than any team we would face anyways so we'd be in with a legitimate shout to win it

A lot of our best players are knackered ATM and can't play all 3 games within the space of 9 days (AWB, Bruno, Martial, Rashford etc). I don't expect any of these players to start that game. I'd love to win some silverware but UCL qualification holds more dire ramifications in the upcoming transfer window. Besides, if we beat Chelsea, we'll likely face city in the final. City, despite having an off season, are still a brilliant team and are better than us. Granted, we've beaten them this season already, Pep's finals record doesn't give me a lot of optimism.

If silverware is important, we can still look forward to the Europa league. City is better than any team we would face anyways so we'd be in with a legitimate shout to win it

If it's not what's the point?

But each to their own mate. I don't get how you'd prioritise like that as a fan but I appreciate your POV.

FWIW, and it's a horrible emotion, but I know I'm sitting here, with L'pool currently holding every major honour in the World, totally envious of all 4 teams in the FA Cup over the next two days. And as it's always been, the next game would be the most important. When it's the FA Cup that importance for me goes up a level.

*Edit* Good luck Sunday regardless mate. I've stuck to not watching any games thus far into the return so I probably won't see it but I hope it's a belter game for you.

Last edited:
Are you for real?

Not that the 4 teams involved in the Cup this weekend have anything to do with L'pool, as you brought that bunkum up, 2 games in 24 hours on two different continents where the club had no choice but to field a full team of ressi's (in what was the furthest thing from a 5-0 defeat imaginable but regardless), now equates to a major FA Cup semi-final?

*Edit* 2 games in LESS than 24 hours sorry. It was THAT ridiculous a position they put the football club in.
My point is, Liverpool made a choice. They choose Fifa CWC over Carabao cup. United value Champions league more than FA Cup. United wont come with white flag like Liverpool did, but I don't expect the strongest possible team. Also, United will be looking to win Europa league which is more valuable than both league finish and FA Cup.

FA basically has as much meaning as the Carabao these days for the big clubs, which is sad. Unless someone like Watford, Villa etc are in the semi's it doesn't mean much for the big clubs over the chance of champions league football.

Bit harsh to say Liverpool made a choice. It was forced upon them. And any other team in the world would have done exactly the same thing in the same situation. Play 2 games and be a world champion, or go for the carabao cup which would have still needed another 3 or 4 games to win and the prize is a Europa League qualifier which they dont need anyway. No brainer.

Our situation with the FA Cup is completely different. Its a semi final at Wembley. One off game which leads to a cup final after the league is finished.

Your 'point' has ZERO validity in the context of the scandalous no-win situation the FL put the club in. Whilst 'proudly' wishing the club all the best representing English football in a major Worldwide tournament. The FL was a contradictory disgrace to what they 'claim' they want their marquee competition to be. Even the manager and staff couldn't be in two places at once. As it happens, Critchley's side put up a superb showing on the night in a game that, by Villa's own admission, massively flattered them. Just International experience won out. But it still doesn't detract from the scandalous circumstances that left L'pool without much of any choice on the night with 2 major games in 4 days in Qatar.

Of all the examples you could have tried to use as an analogy, that's about the poorest you could have come up with.

But regardless, why you'd even think of equating the weekend' to L'pool and madly call 'bullshit' on what typically happens in a major Cup semi, managers reverting to their strongest team, is anyone's guess?

Good luck Sunday. Even if you aren't personally arsed.

Last edited:
Bit harsh to say Liverpool made a choice. It was forced upon them. And any other team in the world would have done exactly the same thing in the same situation. Play 2 games and be a world champion, or go for the carabao cup which would have still needed another 3 or 4 games to win and the prize is a Europa League qualifier which they dont need anyway. No brainer.

Our situation with the FA Cup is completely different. Its a semi final at Wembley. One off game which leads to a cup final after the league is finished.
So playing game every 3 days for last month is completely different from L'pool situation? Don't get me wrong, I would chose CWC as well, but I wouldn't field team full of no names. It was f*cked up by FA to even do that, but you have to make a choice sometimes. Playing in CL > FA Cup winners.

That "bullshit" part WAS about "Thankfully most managers don't think like some fans do when silverware is on the line.". Some things are more important than the others.
Good luck Sunday. Even if you aren't personally arsed.
Oh I am arsed, unlike your manager.

Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab

Simon Stone

@sistoney67

Eng U16 defender Logan Pye + striker Joe Hugill join @ManUtd academy from Sunderland + goalkeeper Radek Vitek joins from Sigma Oloumouc. Overall 8 players have joined academy (other 5 already at club). No-one younger than 19 released. Pro-players being released paid till Aug.

Same as when we had to pull out of the FA Cup for the same reason. The league wanted us to go and play in the world cup to raise the profile of the Premier League at the time. So when we did, and they gave us no favours with the FA Cup, we was hung out to dry for "disrespecting" the world famous FA Cup.

So playing game every 3 days for last month is completely different from L'pool situation? Don't get me wrong, I would chose CWC as well, but I wouldn't field team full of no names. It was f*cked up by FA to even do that, but you have to make a choice sometimes. Playing in CL > FA Cup winners.

That "bullshit" part WAS about "Thankfully most managers don't think like some fans do when silverware is on the line.". Some things are more important than the others.

Oh I am arsed, unlike your manager.

Who else was they supposed to field? Split the main squad in half and leave half at home? If I was a player in the main squad and had won the Champions League, then had the opportunity to be a world champion, but was left at home to play in a **** game just to appease the FL id be absolutely fuming. Every menember of that CL winning squad deserved to be there for the world cup.

Who else was they supposed to field? Split the main squad in half and leave half at home? If I was a player in the main squad and had won the Champions League, then had the opportunity to be a world champion, but was left at home to play in a **** game just to appease the FL id be absolutely fuming. Every menember of that CL winning squad deserved to be there for the world cup.

FIFA wouldn't allow that mate. Every team competing in the CWC had to have their squad in Qatar ex # of days before their first game. You couldn't add players after the fact. The rumoured plan was to fly some out after Villa (some kids went regardless for the experience of being around the tournament), but FIFA ratified that wouldn't be possible before the CWC started.

This really is a nonsensical discussion and the lamest of lame slights we've had this year from ignorant fans all over the Country. In exactly the same way, as you noted, Utd got back in Brazil way back when. Of which I was guilty through the folly of my younger years.

As a side note, when Ferguson said back when you won it just how big it would become, he wasn't lying. On the World scene, it's a massive tournament and being crowned World Champions is a brilliant feeling. Utterly mad how the insular, parochial nature of English football has many here rubbishing it. But then their clubs will never afford them the experience.

If he wanted best chance for winning both, sure, split it. But thats not very smart to do, because as I stated, CWC is more important than Carabao Cup. Same as CL football is more important than FA Cup.

Former Manchester United star and Busby Babe, Alex Dawson, has passed away at the age of 80.

The club confirmed on Friday that the striker, who played at Old Trafford for four seasons, has died.

Born in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1940, Dawson came through the United set up as a trainee under iconic manager Matt Busby in the mid-1950s. Busby handed him his league debut as a 17-year-old on 22 April 1957 where he netted in a 2-0 win over Burnley.

Dawson didn't feature often in the first half of the 1957-58 campaign. The striker featured more prominently after the Munich disaster struck in February 1958 and eight United players tragically lost their lives due to the air crash. The Scot scored on the club's first game after the crash, during a 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup. Dawson was a regular figure in the side towards the end of the season and bagged a hat trick in the FA Cup semi final over Fulham.

RIP