The Manchester United Thread

Wanted to get people honest thoughts on Rice. As I’ve seen Ducker, MEN, Laurie Whitwall of the Athletic reporting in the last hours that Utd are seriously interested and are front runners to sign Rice this summer. And said he has been in constant communication during England meetings with Shaw and Maguire about the club/move.?
I wouldn't pay anything more than £30 million for him lol.

If that's the best our scouting department can come up with then we might as well save up for a center half and groom Garner. That's my take.

Last edited:
Yeah only makes sense for me if we switch 2 the 433 like we played when Ole was interim
Even in a 4-3-3, we would have two midfielders in Pogba and Fernandes who like to roam and go forward and attack (unless either of them are used on the wing like the last match). In that scenario, you would need to have a really good passing range (a la Carrick) or be an inhuman in CDM (Kante). I don't think Rice would fit the system we have.

We should ignore Rice and try and integrate Garner slowly in the CDM role. By all accounts, he is rated highly and has been performing really well. We need someone who circulates possession and dictates tempo, and Garner could potentially do that. Don't think Rice ever will.

Also, van de Beek played all three roles of Box-to-Box, CAM and CDM when at Ajax. Honestly, should look at getting more from him, he is much more proficient technically than Rice is. Should honestly try and mould him into that role rather than needlessly spend on Rice.

Even in a 4-3-3, we would have two midfielders in Pogba and Fernandes who like to roam and go forward and attack (unless either of them are used on the wing like the last match). In that scenario, you would need to have a really good passing range (a la Carrick) or be an inhuman in CDM (Kante). I don't think Rice would fit the system we have.

We should ignore Rice and try and integrate Garner slowly in the CDM role. By all accounts, he is rated highly and has been performing really well. We need someone who circulates possession and dictates tempo, and Garner could potentially do that. Don't think Rice ever will.

Also, van de Beek played all three roles of Box-to-Box, CAM and CDM when at Ajax. Honestly, should look at getting more from him, he is much more proficient technically than Rice is. Should honestly try and mould him into that role rather than needlessly spend on Rice.
Yeah Garner needs to start getting integrated into the squad but by all accounts he’s gonna stay 1 more year at Forest even though he will get looked at on tour. And going off what Ajax fans have said DVB is not good defensively at all.

If we lose Matic which is looking likely we will need another CM coming in.

Yeah Garner needs to start getting integrated into the squad but by all accounts he’s gonna stay 1 more year at Forest even though he will get looked at on tour. And going off what Ajax fans have said DVB is not good defensively at all.

If we lose Matic which is looking likely we will need another CM coming in.
Do we? He has played 910 minutes (of about 2790) in the Prem. With McTominey (who has played more), the defensive side would get taken care of. Give more minutes to van de Beek and integrate Garner for a season, and we can atleast tide it till the January window. Doable, definitely. Matic is not a major part of the team, he has been mostly just rotational this season. If Pogba leaves, we would need to replace him, for sure. Maybe not Matic.

van de Beek, defensive not being good can be coached into him. Remember, we don't need a CDM, just a CM who doesn't shirk from defensive duties. He played Box-to-Box at Ajax and that was literally one of the things that everyone was celebrating about when he joined. That role involves defensive actions as well. He needs to be coached into being better at that, which lies at the hand of the team that Solskjaer has.

The reason being money. Covid and no fans in stadium has still hit revenues, and while we may be slightly better than most (basis what I was reading earlier), it is still not an endless pool. We desperately need a CB and a RW (in that order) much more than we need a CM. Additionally, a striker if Cavani goes.

Perfect window for me all things ideal which we know never are lol with us and transfers (hopefully changes soon after the restructuring) would be Basouma, Sancho, then one of Kounde or Pau Torres

Declan Rice is a technically and tactically poor player. He has age on his side, but that alone does not merit the asking price.
Also, whats so special about Kounde? Same type of player as Lindelof.

Declan Rice is a technically and tactically poor player. He has age on his side, but that alone does not merit the asking price.
Also, whats so special about Kounde? Same type of player as Lindelof.
He’s a better header of the ball and a lot faster also.

You lads are being a bit harsh on Rice. No club will get far with a squad of 11 ballerinas. A good industrial workhorse who can fit into several positions is always a good addition if the price is right.

You lads are being a bit harsh on Rice. No club will get far with a squad of 11 ballerinas. A good industrial workhorse who can fit into several positions is always a good addition if the price is right.
They can have Lingard and a bag of quavers 😂

He’s a better header of the ball and a lot faster also.
Marginally better. Mind, Lindelof was much better in air in Portugal as well.

McTominay and Fred are both industrious. Former is also more physical than Rice. And won't cost north of a 50m or whatever the quoted price is. If he was to replace one of them for their selling price, then sure. Still would be better options out there who are just as industrious but posses technical side of the game as well.

McTominay and Fred are both industrious. Former is also more physical than Rice. And won't cost north of a 50m or whatever the quoted price is. If he was to replace one of them for their selling price, then sure. Still would be better options out there who are just as industrious but posses technical side of the game as well.

Yeah I'm not saying it should be a priority transfer or something, but it certainly wouldn't hurt either. The next season is going to be even worse with injuries, with the Euros in the summer players will be going 2 years without a real break. Good bench is paramount.

Yeah I'm not saying it should be a priority transfer or something, but it certainly wouldn't hurt either. The next season is going to be even worse with injuries, with the Euros in the summer players will be going 2 years without a real break. Good bench is paramount.
Really hope we start seeing more rotation next year and a few more youth players coming in and getting in the squad