The Manchester United Thread

He may well not but nobody knows that for certain until he’s in that situation. Its a completely different ball game to playing for Sheffield United.

Donnorumma’s has dropped significantly. BTW after his initial whirlwind start. He’s no longer in the top bracket of ‘next wave’ goalies. Theres a lot he still needs to improve on.

Couldn't agree more. He's currently 22 and I feel he's no better than he was at 17 so he's sort.of stagnated. Still young in GK years but I just don't see an upward trajectory for him.

Maybe moving to a different club could do wonders, who knows?

Only reason why I would be against Donnarumma is his agent.

Couldn't agree more. He's currently 22 and I feel he's no better than he was at 17 so he's sort.of stagnated. Still young in GK years but I just don't see an upward trajectory for him.

Maybe moving to a different club could do wonders, who knows?

Definitely. I mean all young ‘keepers are up and down. You accept that when you roll with them. If Utd go with Henderson he's liable to drop some costly clangers next season along with the good. Thats just the tradeoff with inexperienced youngsters as they develop and learn.

But I don’t see that much of an upward trajectory for Donnarumma either given his consistent duration as Milan’s #1 now. ‘Stagnated’ is a good way of putting his development.

I wouldn’t be annoyed to see him leave Milan.

😋 I must of lost count the amount of times on here people laughed at me about Henderson replacing DDG 😇
I have also said all along that Henderson was going to surpass DDG sooner than some thought. That said I do think that there will still be game time for Dave before the end of the season. The close season will be a better indicator of what the plan is going forward.

I have also said all along that Henderson was going to surpass DDG sooner than some thought. That said I do think that there will still be game time for Dave before the end of the season. The close season will be a better indicator of what the plan is going forward.
Yeah DDG will get the Europa games I reckon. But think the decision has already been made about him leaving. The Athletic saying we are gonna bring back Sam Johnstone to be No2 next season.

Absolute madness that Utd has backed themselves into this position with SO much tied up in 2 goalkeepers.

One badly needs to go. And it's not for performance-related reasons.

Yeah DDG will get the Europa games I reckon. But think the decision has already been made about him leaving. The Athletic saying we are gonna bring back Sam Johnstone to be No2 next season.

Johnstone should be in the English Euro squad. He's had, along with the Villa goalie, well arguably the best season of any 'keeper this year. He's established at Albion and just entering his prime years.

Why in the world would he want to sit on anyone's bench again?

Journo's need to think before they type. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Absolute madness that Utd has backed themselves into this position with SO much tied up in 2 goalkeepers.

Johnstone should be in the English Euro squad. He's had, along with the Villa goalie, well arguably the best season of any 'keeper this year. He's established at Albion and just entering his prime years.

Agree he should he’s been excellent. Was a solid prospect coming through who has got better each year. Really struggled with concentration at youth level. But seems well over that. I would and would not be surprised if he came back for a few reasons.

Unbelievable how good United is at producing/spotting good goalkeepers.
Tom Heaton - Aston Villa
Rob Zieler - Koeln
Pierluigi Gollini - Atalanta
Sam Johnstone -WBA
Joel Pereira - Huddersfield
Ben Amos - Charlton
Vanja Milinkovic-Savic - Torino

I'm probably missing quite a few.

Unbelievable how good United is at producing/spotting good goalkeepers.
Tom Heaton - Aston Villa
Rob Zieler - Koeln
Pierluigi Gollini - Atalanta
Sam Johnstone -WBA
Joel Pereira - Huddersfield
Ben Amos - Charlton
Vanja Milinkovic-Savic - Torino

I'm probably missing quite a few.
I’m happy for Gollini and Savic both came with decent reps but both struggled setting in the country and being away from friends and families at the time. Rob Ziegler made no end of mistakes week in week out in the academy but I’m happy he’s carved out a good carrier!

Amos was never good enough to be a prem keeper. And **** knows what’s happened to Joel I have never seen such a regression.

I wouldn't say they have backed themselves into a corner with the GK situation it has been more a case of Henderson improving faster than expected whilst DDG has regressed. Come the end of the season it will all make sense personally I think De Gea will be gone not because Henderson is better but purely for the fact his contract is up next year so United will want to benefit financially (a decent fee and removal of his huge wages). As for Johnstone returning it's just like the talk about Donnaruma signing it's totally made up to sell papers. I can see either one of the 2nd string stepping up as back up or them signing someone who is older but willing to play second fiddle much like they have had in the past with the likes of Sealy, Carroll etc

Martinez is defo right now best keeper this season. Considering he is very high on both saves made and clean sheets. Johnstone is just pumping up saves because WBA defense is rotting... Mendy has been also good but he is also lacking in making save like Ederson because their defense is just so good.

I wonder if PFA young player of the year could possible be GK as Meslier should defo be nominated for it. Has there ever been yearly player title in PL given to goaly?

Some stats about GKs this season. right now ordered by Save Pct.(Percentage)
1618317934022.png

Mendy looks like Kepa/ Leno/ Lloris to me.
Capable of great saves. But also capable of very costly mistakes and lacking in everything else that separates merely ‘good’ goalkeepers from the very top tier ones.

Nowhere near the required standard to consistently challenge for major honours.

I wouldn't say they have backed themselves into a corner with the GK situation it has been more a case of Henderson improving faster than expected whilst DDG has regressed. Come the end of the season it will all make sense personally I think De Gea will be gone not because Henderson is better but purely for the fact his contract is up next year so United will want to benefit financially (a decent fee and removal of his huge wages). As for Johnstone returning it's just like the talk about Donnaruma signing it's totally made up to sell papers. I can see either one of the 2nd string stepping up as back up or them signing someone who is older but willing to play second fiddle much like they have had in the past with the likes of Sealy, Carroll etc
It definitely won’t be any stepping up. There is no one near ready age wise. Potential wise yes but the ones that have it are at least 3/4 yrs off being ready.

The PE Teacher needs to go on a PR course. It's like he knows what he wants to say and has all the parts in place. Then he opens his mouth and it forgets to connect to his brain.

Mourinho needs to just accept he's long since finished as a relevant manager and F off back home.

In talks with Ed Woodward and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, #MUFC have made it clear they want to keep Edinson Cavani. But the striker is unlikely to still be at Old Trafford next season - and it isn't about the money. The latest from @AndyMitten...

Will all depend on travelling situation/quarantine in regardsto his family and being able to travel to his home country without any issues. If he stays or not.