The Manchester United Thread

Solskjær: "For me, to make players stay at #mufc, when you see a good squad and get good results that helps and we want to win things. There was no better place to be when I was a player because we kept on winning." #mulive

Solskjær: "I want to take this team to the next level, we want to start winning trophies, but that requires consistency. We've played one game and [people] are talking about us winning the league." #mulive

Solskjær: "We've cut the deficit to the winning team last season by quite a few points but we still have to take another step or two into the next level." #mulive

Solskjær on opposition fans chanting at Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford: "With regards to how we handle it, no problem. Jadon and Marcus are both strong characters." #mulive

Solskjær: "We know as a club that sometimes you have to be strong. The way the manager [Sir Alex Ferguson] dealt with the Becks situation was the right prototype. We will protect them, I'll protect them. That's absolutely no issue." #mulive

Solskjær on opposition fans chanting Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford let their country down: "The old Theodore Roosevelt 'Man In The Arena' resonates for me in this situation [the speech said it is better to be involved in the action than a critic]." #mulive

Solskjær on Mason Greenwood: "The boy has had problems and injuries, he has done well working to get fit and I can see the benefit of his summer." #mulive

Solskjær: "Mason [Greenwood] would have loved nothing else than to play in that Euro final. But when you are a young boy, sometimes the body takes its toll with all the games and training and you need to look after yourself." #mulive

Solskjær: "When it [not making England's Euro squad due to injury] didn't happen for Mason [Greenwood], when he had to stay here, he worked really hard to get fit again." #mulive

The main thing we need to do is keep Fred off the pitch. FFS, dismal passing, that humungous deflection/OG, and not majorly contributing anything. Plus, again highlights the need for a destroyer if we want to play both Pogba and Fernandes.

The main thing we need to do is keep Fred off the pitch. FFS, dismal passing, that humungous deflection/OG, and not majorly contributing anything. Plus, again highlights the need for a destroyer if we want to play both Pogba and Fernandes.

Hey now. Nigh on a £50 million pound footballer that …..

Sigh. Kinda weird half. The goal should have been ruled out as a foul, to my eyes. But we haven't controlled the game (and we never seem to). Against low-blocks, we seem to suffer (and Soton surprisingly have one set-up against us this time around).

Honestly, would take off Martial and get in Sancho (shifting Greenwood up-top). That will atleast bring more movement and creativity. Besides, haven't seen Martial do too much. Granted, he hasn't seen too much of the ball, but his pressing also seems a bit wayward and his movement is still lacking (that cross from Bruno from the right which was headed out, a CF would be present there, atleast vying for it. Martial was a few yards deeper, I think).

Fred, I dunno. I still feel he would be really good at the base of the midfield, with his interceptions and energy. Problem is, once he wins the ball, his passes are comical and wayward. Don't really feel he has improved massively during his time here, maybe a bit, that's about it. But considering Matic's age, I would still keep him on for now.

Our problem is still the fact that we lack co-ordinated attack patterns, which can come to bite us against low-blocks as there is no set ways to break through (unlike what a Pool or City might have). But let's see how the second half plays out, anyhow. We have done will against Soton generally, so it remains to be seen.

Heck, when Pogba is involved completely, he is a different level to almost any other player. That was a good start from him in the second half.

Lol, when you can't break a deep block with Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood and eventually Sancho on the pitch, you know there's something wrong here beyond personnel. Also, VDB should just put in a transfer request. He deserves better than being behind Jesse Lingard in the pecking order

Last edited:
Lol, when you can break a deep block with Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood and eventually Sancho on the pitch, you know there's something wrong here beyond personnel. Also, VDB should just put in a transfer request. He deserves better than being behind Jesse Lingard in the pecking order
VDB bought in to replace Pogba who will eventually go on a free as we've all seen this playing well for a new contract or to get interest in him. Should've sold Pogba too Madrid when you had the chance imo.