The Manchester United Thread

Well, not too happy with that.

Our play seems to want to evolve around a moving, dynamic front three who interchange but our play still seems embedded around having a fixed striker at the top. And someone like Cavani, with his movement, we definitely would have had a couple more goals. Once Cavani gets back, I think we will see a front three of Sancho, Cavani and Greenwood, which will be pretty good (until Rashford comes back).

Also, highlights our need at CM, which has been there since a long time. Matic can't play for more than half an hour, and McFred is just meh. We need to get a defensive destroyer (or at the least, a defensive deep playmaker). We need to get both Fernandes and Pogba playing through the center, otherwise, our attack will always become concentrated and lopsided. I'd atleast try McTominay at the base of the midfield, if nothing else.

Our problem with low blocks continues. Honestly, if a team doesn't attack us, we can't seem to have enough to break them down. And this, despite having crazy, creative players at our disposal. We can't seem to recycle possession properly, resulting in so many moves breaking down and a loss of momentum. Some really bad passing on show today.

Pogba, Greenwood, Shaw and DDB were really good. Sancho, in his limited time, was also involved. Matic, Fred, Martial were pretty dire.

VDB bought in to replace Pogba who will eventually go on a free as we've all seen this playing well for a new contract or to get interest in him. Should've sold Pogba too Madrid when you had the chance imo.
They were paying us around 40 Mn, when he had around 2.5-3 years left on his contract. Don't think it was value for money, and we shouldn't have sold him for that. Honestly, as I mentioned earlier. if he performs this well throughout this season, I wouldn't care if he left on a free.

We definitely need to see more of vDB, but I honestly don't think OGS knows how to get the best out of him. His movement is really good, but we seem to be mostly a counter-attack team, which means he is not rated. IT is a shame, honestly. If we actually learned how to control and recycle the ball more, vDB would be a **** of a player in our midfield. With his movement and interchangeabilty, he would be a handful.

Fred, Matic, Martial all awful! The last 20 mins were terrible and some of our players looked gassed. Disappointing to say the least. Should of done better with out half chances as well tbh.

Weird game. Should have been a W, but United weren't good enough. Martial is just meh, he did nothing for 60 minutes. Once Pogba moved to midfield Southampton started to dominate. There's isn't a midfielder in United team that can carry Pogba like in France NT.

Once everyone is fit and up to speed. If Ole continues to shoe horn Pogba in on the left. That will do it for me! Absolutely no reason to.

Once everyone is fit and up to speed. If Ole continues to shoe horn Pogba in on the left. That will do it for me! Absolutely no reason to.
Actually, he is forced to. We don't have a DM to pick up after Pogba, and he generally is at his best when is in a more freer role (like from on the left coming to the centre). Get a proper DM, a 4-3-3, and we should be able to fit our best players onto the pitch. It's crazy that a player like Pogba requires so many conditions to be met before he plays at his best, but it is what it is. He simply lacks the discipline to play in a 2 man midfield without it.

Although, mind you, not too big a fan of it too. His game involves drifting to the centre, which works against a team like Leeds who basically vacated the **** midfield due to how they play the game. But it also means teams can double down on Shaw on the left, which becomes a problem.

An underrated player who gets lumped in with the inept fred. I think Mctom is a box to box imo, he has great shot on him and has the knack for arriving late into the box or in around the area.
He was attacking mid before his "growth" where he was repositioned by Mourinho as a CM/DM.
Fred is OK as a backup, he's not a starter material, same goes for Matic.

Watched the match back this morning. With the chances we had despite not playing great we should of buried 2/3 more of the good chances we. Good to see we look dangerous from set pieces. New coach must be getting his ideas across.

@FabrizioRomano: "Manchester United are looking for a midfielder now. They have three names on the list — Camavinga, Saul and the third name is Ruben Neves — in that order. They are pushing before the window shuts." #mufc #mujournal
Honestly, Neves is probably the best fit stylistically speaking but an underwhelming choice.

Last edited:
Yeah, Camavinga is developing more into a B2B midfielder. I'd pick Saul over Neves, though. Saul can play a variety of roles, and will be defensively sound, considering he played in a Simeone system. Saul, Neves and then Camavinga for me.