The Manchester United Thread

I would be more worried if the club was in the position Barcelona currently find themselves in after two games to be honest

Ace isn't it?

Couldn't be happening to a bigger joke of a football club.

I get the glitz and glamour that will always go along with them. But the way they get put up as some sort of massive, European superpower is beyond laughable.

Pre-Messi, they'd won what? 1, that's ONE, European Cup in the 50 years of the competition to that point.

F fraud of a club that deserves to fall back into complete insignificance post-Messi.

Ace isn't it?

Couldn't be happening to a bigger joke of a football club.

I get the glitz and glamour that will always go along with them. But the way they get put up as some sort of massive, European superpower is beyond laughable.

Pre-Messi, they'd won what? 1, that's ONE, European Cup in the 50 years of the competition to that point.

F fraud of a club that deserves to fall back into complete insignificance post-Messi.

FC Sheriff winning against Real is still bigger for me. Good to scum that Pérez anyway possible for his diabolic superleague and give me more money and close up the competition.

FC Sheriff winning against Real is still bigger for me. Good to scum that Pérez anyway possible for his diabolic superleague and give me more money and close up the competition.

Defo mate. That was utterly brilliant too. 🍻

1633083724525.png

So late Wednesday night, I found myself waiting for a train from Manc airport to Piccadilly, on the final leg but one home after an absolutely superb return to European aways after a LONG 18 months and more through which the pandemic has deprived us of the privilege.

And waiting for the same train, was an old school Utd fan in his 70s, originally from Salford and a seasie holder right through to the 90's,, who was on his way back up to the lakes having been out on holiday in Greece.

Why am I retelling this? Just to emphasise yet again how Mancunians and Liverpudlians are so alike it's not funny and how we get on like a house on fire the majority of the time when you cut out the B/S of our respective teams. (The two humongous Red ones that dominate the World. The blue ones can stop reading already. 😉😛.).

I struck up a conversation, as is my wont, with this guy waiting and got a 'Scouser? Alright kid'.Love you lads yanno'. Used to deliver regularly to Aigburth and never failed to have a proper laugh'' ..... And thus began a really enjoyable conversation about the respective two clubs currently (the respect he had for Klopp was fantastic to hear. Although he surprisingly wanted Solksjaer to stay and succeed as, like Klopp with us, he just 'gets it!' and is Utd through-and-through)/ Where it got really nasty between us? (We both agreed it really turned the '80's with his greater experience of the previous decades than I and the good times had after games in either City whichever team you followed. It was down to the bellendary after Hillsborough with Utd hitting back at Munich with that and the game becoming poisonous that he stopped going the match)/ the mutual respect for each club's respective great teams and players/ Music/ Comedy and all points in between you can cram in over an hour or so's wait for a train/ train ride. Oh, and he got a piece of paper out of his wallet he's kept since he was 13 when he got some young lads autograph who told him, sat on the bridge over the railway line outside OT, that he could have his signature in his book if he wanted as he was 'Here for an interview with Mr Busby and I'm going to be a star'' ...... Some cocky lil' fella called Best .....

As he said (paraphrasing) 'It's a shame how the media, and the internet, conditions folk to outright hate the other club/ City, when both City's/ clubs are so alike in so many ways it's untrue. But at least true Mancs and Scousers know the score and will always have that underlying respect. Life's hard enough without all the petty bollcks.'

I just felt like sharing a really enjoyable and perfect end to a boss Euro away with someone I'm supposed to hate right?

For all the B/S that goes along with the rivalry, all the petty online name-calling and far worse serious abuse from both sides, when you boil it down, we match up with each other like no other clubs fan base's and the two great City's, and the top people that populate them, have way more in common than we ever like to admit.

Just the football that gets in the way of it all. Sighs.

I sharen’t be watching (U18’s game. Don't ask), but if yers coukd beat the Ev this dinner-time it would be appreciated.

Ta in advance.

Lanzarote.
I'm from Europe mate ;) I just flew there and flew back :)

Meanwhile, for the self-inflicted pariah’s of Europe-

The biggest hassle this week was the passenger locator forms. Being as you could only do the Spanish (we came back via Valencia Wednesday. Jumped the metro and had a good 4 hours in the centre. 33 degrees! 🕺) and UK ones within 48 hours of departure. So they had to be done on the go. (But at least you could start them and get so far before the deadline opened up so there was that.). The fear of entering some info wrong and getting knocked back or fined makes that really nervous madly.

So after having needed the negative antigen (or PCR) test to get in to Portugal (more on that in a minute. As we were away within the three day limit, that doubled as the negative test to come back into the UK so we saved on a test there), along with proof of being double vaxed and the Portuguese PLF, we breezed through security at all 4 airports. Only being asked for the proof of everything leaving L'pool Monday tea-time and entering Spain Wednesday. But then everything's logged on the relevant systems regardless I guess.

We had to show proof of the negative test/ NHS proof of being double vaxed, and photo ID to match, along with having our temperature checked, before we could get through the turnies at the ground but it was a quick process to be fair.

And then you had to do the Day 2 PCR test yesterday and get that dropped off for collection.

So it wasn't half as bad as anticipated getting through security at airports. But the hassle of doing all the forms and extra test expense is both a frustrating, if needed, chore and extra expense. (The antigen we did before departure was £29 and the Day 2 PCR £43. Which when you consider the boss £20 deal we got on all flights ..... ).

There was gutting scenes at Speke Monday like with a lot of poor folk being turned away at the gate and refused boarding as they'd misunderstood the info ..... Portugal have changed the rules so they now accept the NHS double vaxed proof in place of a negative test for entry. BUT it didn't come into force until yesterday. Which wasn't reported and badly informed by both the Government site and the Echo story. So those turned away had presumed you didn't need a negative test within 48 hours of departure. And we're talking into double figures of people refused boarding. For a fully booked flight, there was a LOT of empty seats. Including a family just going on a normal holiday who were devoed as you could imagine. So that all wasn't good in the least. Particularly when they weren't trying to swerve the system. Just misunderstood the rules down to unclear info.

At least for Madrid (if they give us tickets. Looks promising as they are now back to full capacity), we'll only need the Day 2 test and the Spanish and UK PLF's to fill out as well as the NHS double vax. proof so there is that. Which, nothing changing dramatically between now and December excepted, should be the same for Milan.

So all told, it wasn't that bad an extra experience. Just a frustrating extra hassle that takes a lot of the fun out of travelling.

Oh, and thankfully things aren't anywhere near fully flowing again (Valencia in particular was deserted. Never moved as quickly through 4 security checks as Wednesday's flights home) so we didn't get any long queues anywhere down to now being a third Country. But hey, I did get my passi stamped for the first time in ages as I'm no longer a European citizen.

****** Brexit!!!!! Taking back control and all that .....🤬

Doucouré is so physically imposing. Good footballer overall.

Didn’t they say teams playing in Europe the Wednesday wouldn’t be given the half 12 Sat’day dinner KO?

That lasted a long time. 🤦‍♂️

Like basic things, fouling to stop a counterattack. Foul and take the yellow card. Now its 1-1. Grab and hold the ******* shirt and don't let go. Its really easy to understand.

Wow, never did I see the day TOD would be Ole out lol.

As I've said, we basically look like Chelsea under Lampard. Disjointed attack combined with a really open midfield and disjointed defense.

Thats the problem with having legendary players as manager. Sentiment. They can often do no wrong in many folks eyes.

Why I want Gerrard nowhere near Anfield personally.
It was never about sentiment at all. I could see what he was building squad wise. And could see gradual progression. But this is season 3 now and it’s hit a peak I feel. And we should be seeing and doing better.

It was never about sentiment at all. I could see what he was building squad wise. And could see gradual progression. But this is season 3 now and it’s hit a peak I feel. And we should be seeing and doing better.

This Utd squads poor and unbalanced mate outside of the top end. For the ridiculous money spent it should be a contender but its nowhere near that quality regardless of poor coaching.

But that realisation is still to come.

This Utd squads poor and unbalanced mate outside of the top end. For the ridiculous money spent it should be a contender but its nowhere near that quality regardless of poor coaching.

But that realisation is still to come.
I always said the same thing about Chelsea under Frank Lampard. I can probably pull up old archives.

Even when you talk about the top end, you'd think for a side that concedes alot of chances, we should be creating loads but we don't create chances...which is completely asinine given the wealth of attacking quality at our disposal

I always said the same thing about Chelsea under Frank Lampard. I can probably pull up old archives.

Even when you talk about the top end, you'd think for a side that concedes alot of chances, we should be creating loads but we don't create chances...which is completely asinine given the wealth of attacking quality at our disposal

How bad was today’s display?

The blues seem disappointed not to win which is never a good thing. But they’re delusional at the best of times so yanno …..

Last edited:
How bad was today’s display?

The blues seem disappointed not to win which is never a good thing. But they’re delusional at the best of times son yanno …..
Disjointed. Lack of proper cohesion and understanding. Plus, no attacking patterns means a lot of attacking players are surrounded too often. We dominated at times, and Everton didn't create too many chances of note, but we didn't do a lot too. Dominated possession for a bit, but the execution was messy. .