The Manchester United Thread

Bar Pochetino you mean mate?

Who you've consistently destroyed in this thread.
Wouldn’t be my choice! But if Rangnick, Murtaugh, Rose if he comes in think he’s the right choice to take us forward on a football sense and help us rebuild going forward then I would prefer that at least.

Well done and thank you.

It wasn't pretty, but Burnley taking another step toward relegation is another great step for everyone.
I'm not holding my breath mate. I've held so much hope that these hoof ball merchants get relegated since 2018 but Sean Dyche always seems to have this knack of hitting a run of form at the right time to scrap survival.

Will how diabolical their start to last season was, I was sure relegation was imminent but they stayed up.

Bailly was just as bad and even more at fault for the goal
I disagree. Granted he was directly at fault for their goal due to a poor touch, he hardly put a foot wrong all game. Maguire, on the other hand, directly led to 2-3 chances that Burnley created. There was even this long ball over the top, bouncing right in front of him, that he was clear favorite to win and he still lost out to Aaron Lennon in a foot race, whom he had 4 yards on. You can see how playing with a high line brutally exposes his limitations.

One thing I don't get is with slow center backs, they typically have this brilliant positional awareness and composure to ensure they rarely ever need to engage in a foot race. Vidic is a great example of this. I'd even argue Daley Blind, when he played at center half at united under LVG, rarely ever got exposed because he was always at the right place at the right time to snuff out dangerous situations.

Maguire has the positional awareness of a TV remote with cement blocks for feet. I cringe when I realize we paid 80 million for the guy and he's not even worth half that. He's only decent for England because they play with 3 at the back.

I disagree. Granted he was directly at fault for their goal due to a poor touch, he hardly put a foot wrong all game. Maguire, on the other hand, directly led to 2-3 chances that Burnley created. There was even this long ball over the top, bouncing right in front of him, that he was clear favorite to win and he still lost out to Aaron Lennon in a foot race, whom he had 4 yards on. You can see how playing with a high line brutally exposes his limitations.

One thing I don't get is with slow center backs, they typically have this brilliant positional awareness and composure to ensure they rarely ever need to engage in a foot race. Vidic is a great example of this. I'd even argue Daley Blind, when he played at center half at united under LVG, rarely ever got exposed because he was always at the right place at the right time to snuff out dangerous situations.

Maguire has the positional awareness of a TV remote with cement blocks for feet. I cringe when I realize we paid 80 million for the guy and he's not even worth half that. He's only decent for England because they play with 3 at the back.
Not saying Bailly had a bad game but was at fault more for the goal.

He's dragging Varane down to his base level of mediocrity too. I mean you naturally expected a dropoff without Ramos alongside him. But not THIS much of a drop-off. We know he's a good CH so it can only be the ***** around him making him so unsure of himself.

A CH, to partner Varne, and FB ,are as key positional needs or you as DM IMHO to get a solid base to work from. How you address the lack of any depth behind those acquisitions I don't know unless there's youth ready to step up and be relied upon as back-ups.

I can only presume Rangnick left him with the armband to not cause any more unrest in an already proper fragile changies. As he should be NOWHERE near captaining Manchester United. (He should be nowhere playing for a club of Utd's stature to begin with. But the mad fee demands he does so that just is what it is until he's gone.).

Honestly, you'd be better with Nat Phillips than Maguire. He lacks pace too but he's above average in everything else. Not least positionally as you mentioned the more experience he's gotten through injury. He's turned himself from a complete yard dog, who would have fallen into obscurity at Swansea had they not got arsey over a few million, into a really solid, PL CH, who just loves defending, along, with developing good ball skills, over the past 18 months to his and our coaches massive credit.

And that is as damning as it gets on him. And totally to Utd's detriment given the scandalous fee and wages.

Last edited:
Honestly, you'd be better with Nat Phillips than Maguire. He lacks pace too but he's above average in everything else. Not least positionally as you mentioned the more experience he's gotten through injury. He's turned himself from a complete yard dog, who would have fallen into obscurity at Swansea had they not got arsey over a few million, into a really solid, PL CH, who just loves defending, along, with developing good ball skills, over the past 18 months to his and our coaches massive credit.

Mate, I agree. The only reason Maguire still starts is because Lindelof has COVID and Varane just came back from injury after 2 months (can't automatically start every game). That leaves phil Jones and I'm not sure the lad can even run these days. I think I'd trade Maguire for Nat Philips in a heart beat if you offered me that deal. Sometime when I watch Varane defend, I feel he's generally always trying to anticipate Maguire rather than the opposition. Him having Maguire as a CH partner, he might as well be on crutches (which he's literally been for most of his time here). That position and a RB should definitely be high up the list alongside a competent DM (or 2).

I think the depth solves itself since a lot of the starting options (Mctominay, Fred) are really depth players. I tend to liken Mctominay to his older scotman compatriot Darren Fletcher. He was never a starter with Fergie but Fergie knew exactly where and when he was needed.

I'd sell AWB however...there's no hope for him anymore. Dalot can provide better competition.

As for the captaincy bit, Rangnick definitely doesn't want to rock that boat after just being in the job for a month and still learning the Dynamics of a very fragile dressing room. Idk how the players view him or what type of influence he has.

Bailly was just as bad and even more at fault for the goal
Well it really says it all... when 4th choice CB is as bad as club captain and #1 CB. What the **** happened to Maguire after that England run is beyond me. Probably worst United player this season. If I was a GK, I would be so ****** at him.

You can;t play high, he can't recover in time. You can't play low, he doesn't tackle and even worse is his marking. Gets caught in possession once per game and even in air he's not as dominant. Why is here there? United were lucky last night because Moss is terrible ref. He should have been sent off with a possible pen if Moss had eyes.

He fuckes up his positioning and then needs to foul/pull arms and kits to catch up. One word to describe Maguire: Liability.

Well it really says it all... when 4th choice CB is as bad as club captain and #1 CB. What the **** happened to Maguire after that England run is beyond me. Probably worst United player this season. If I was a GK, I would be so ****** at him.

You can;t play high, he can't recover in time. You can't play low, he doesn't tackle and even worse is his marking. Gets caught in possession once per game and even in air he's not as dominant. Why is here there? United were lucky last night because Moss is terrible ref. He should have been sent off with a possible pen if Moss had eyes.

He fuckes up his positioning and then needs to foul/pull arms and kits to catch up. One word to describe Maguire: Liability.
Maguire has been ***** and as Leg suggested I think he’s only starting due to our choices after Varane being terrible for some reason or another.

On worst player of the season. Rashford runs him pretty **** close if not worse.

Maguire has been ***** and as Leg suggested I think he’s only starting due to our choices after Varane being terrible for some reason or another.

On worst player of the season. Rashford runs him pretty **** close if not worse.
Yeah, when you think about it...there's quite a few nominees for that award. Lindelof has been Uniteds best defender this season, and that says a lot.
Shame about Varane being injured so much. At this point, give Jones some minutes. Lol

Yeah, when you think about it...there's quite a few nominees for that award. Lindelof has been Uniteds best defender this season, and that says a lot.
Shame about Varane being injured so much. At this point, give Jones some minutes. Lol
Yeah that’s something else we can blame Ole for. Rushing him bac

Emphasis on this

A few threads back, I believe @Theatre of Dreams83 mentioned something along the lines of "if United had all CBs fit, he'd start Maguire and Varane". I was perplexed by this considering Lindelof didn't deserve to be dropped. Imo, at our current state, my current starting pair will be Lindelof-Varane.

Emphasis on this

A few threads back, I believe @Theatre of Dreams83 mentioned something along the lines of "if United had all CBs fit, he'd start Maguire and Varane". I was perplexed by this considering Lindelof didn't deserve to be dropped. Imo, at our current state, my current starting pair will be Lindelof-Varane.
I still stick by that. When they have played together they have played well as a partnership with the limited time o. The pitch together. Not saying Linderlof has been bad mind. Don’t know what’s happened to Maguire from end of last season and England in the summer. No ideal peartnership atm it seems.

Last edited:
Done deal and confirmed. Napoli have reached a verbal agreement with Man United for Axel Tuanzebe: loan until June, €500k loan fee. Here we go soon! #Napoli Tuanzebe leaves #AVFC. The agreement will not include any buy option, as @DiMarzio reports - it’s simple loan.

Simon Stone

@sistoney67

Ralf Rangnick on Edinson Cavani: “Had quite a few conversations in last couple of weeks - probably player with whom I have spoken most. He knows I will definitely not let him go. Is highly important player for rest of season. For me it's clear that Edi has to stay. He is happy to stay.”

Ethan Laird is set to be recalled from his loan at Swansea City and is expected to join Bournemouth for the second half of the season. He is wanted by Scott Parker in his plans to bring Premier League football back to the Vitality Stadium. [@TeleFootball]

Rangnick on van de Beek: “So far, as I have got to know him, he has got a top mentality. He works hard in every training session. He is a team player through and through. There will be games where he will get his chance to play!

Rangnick confirms that Anthony Martial is not playing because he has asked to leave amid interest from Sevilla. ‘It has nothing to do with injuries. He made it very clear that he wants to leave and I can understand his wish to play more regularly somewhere else.’ #mufc

Back