The Manchester United Thread

Erik ten Hag is the leading candidate for the #mufc job. United want a manager who can challenge for trophies, blood young players and play attractive football, and the manager fits the bill #mulive [@hirstclass]

Erik ten Hag is the leading candidate for the #mufc job. United want a manager who can challenge for trophies, blood young players and play attractive football, and the manager fits the bill #mulive [@hirstclass]

Back to football matters after the last few days of the Greenwood carnage

Now, I'm torn with ETH. On one hand, I love the brand of football he plays at Ajax, he's a big advocate for youth and his modern tactical philosophy (a straight descendent from Johan Cruyff).

On the other hand, he doesn't really like dealing with the media, hasn't managed big egos and doesn't like to rotate. Also, I'm not sure how much his success comes down to the brilliant football structure at Ajax. Every player from the u12s to the u18s to their u21s are coached on total football. It makes it easier for youth players to easily slot in to the first team and replace sold players.

Now, I'm torn with ETH. On one hand, I love the brand of football he plays at Ajax, he's a big advocate for youth and his modern tactical philosophy (a straight descendent from Johan Cruyff).

On the other hand, he doesn't really like dealing with the media, hasn't managed big egos and doesn't like to rotate. Also, I'm not sure how much his success comes down to the brilliant football structure at Ajax. Every player from the u12s to the u18s to their u21s are coached on total football. It makes it easier for youth players to easily slot in to the first team and replace sold players.
Very valid points mate. He’s definitely top of my list. Especially if we are trying to build something and have structure going forward with Rangnick, Murtaugh, Fletcher and Arnold already saying he will delegate football matters to football people

The bolded hits the nail bang on the head with Ajax (who currently have a really good crop of kids again. Before they are sold off as is the Dutch model), and Dutch football in general.

I have growing doubts on Poch, but I'd take him to stabilise any day of the week were I a Utd fan over an Ajax system coach.

I can count on less than one hand the amount of successful Ajax coaches that have gone abroad and cracked it with major clubs. And the list of top Dutch coaches at big clubs isn't that much bigger.

What the **** are they thinking?

Ah Christ!! It's only Wednesday and football has driven me to drink.
IMG_20220202_180824_5.jpg

He won promotion and kept them up the following year, was a pretty good job for someone just starting at management.

Presser comments 😀

Has this week been distracting?

"In fact, we had a good normal week of training with five training sessions including todays training, obviously it was a topic within the team but they're human beings and Mason was part of the group before we had our break. It was a good week of training, we could train under normal circumstances and we are looking forward to the game tomorrow."

Rangnick on Lingard

"Three weeks ago, Jesse didn't want to leave, then he changed his mind, I had a chat with him 10 days ago and I could fully understand why he wanted to leave to get game time for his future and the World Cup and I told him if he finds a club and the club find a solution with our club I would allow him to leave, but with all the developments, things changed, we also had no agreement with any other club so we had to take a final decision as the board and keep Jesse until the end of the season."

Was Greenwood a factor in keeping Lingard?

"In a way, yes, but the club told me, the board told me, they couldn't find an agreement with any clubs interested in him. With the window closing Monday evening the board informed me they would rather he stay, so I could understand and accept. It was two things. We had a problem with Mason Greenwood and being without a player for the time being who hasn't played in weeks and the club not finding an agreement with another club."

The size of the squad

"As I said earlier on, the group was slightly too big, we had too many players not seeing the chance to get regular playing time, this is why I'm happy for the club. Donny, Anthony, and Amad deserve regular game time, I wish them all the best, Amad has already played and scored in his first game and I'm pretty sure Donny and Anthony will do well at Sevilla and Everton and I hope they come back."

Team news and injury updates

"Yes, Paul [Pogba] will be part of the group he might even be in the starting XI, Edi Cavani will only return at the weekend, he contacted me at the weekend and asked to have two more days at home, I knew he couldn't be in starting XI with jet lag. Victor Lindelof has been ill the whole week and not training, the same is true with Jesse if we could give him a couple of days off to clear his mind. He will be back in training on Monday and part of the whole squad. Eric Bailly came back yesterday, he has some problems with his ankle and will not be part of the squad. All the other players will be available."

Pochettino links

"I have no idea. My full focus is on training the group right now, we have in games coming up in three different competitions, I couldn't give any reasonable answer to that question, my focus is on the next couple of games, weeks and months, be as successful as we can be."

What does Rangnick want from his full-backs?

"They have to be both. They have to be defenders and at the same time give as much input as they possibly can when we're in possession of the ball. They should be offensive full-backs, offensive defenders and I think in the last couple of weeks we have improved in those areas. It will also be an important position for tomorrow's game because Middlesbrough will play with a back five with very offensive wing-backs. It will be very important to play tactically to a high level. With regard to our own full-backs, as I said, I'm happy with the development that all those players have taken. Luke [Shaw] will be back. He will probably play from the beginning because Alex Telles played 90 minutes for Brazil. This is what I want to see, offensive full-backs playing almost like wingers do and at the same be modern defenders winning one-on-one duels and switching sides from one side to another when we have to mark through. This is what we want to see and what I expect from our fullbacks."

Then he let his ego get in the way. Keane is better as an analyst where his often controversial views can be used to best effect.

Yeah he's is too blunt and has no patience for excuses and mediocrity. Works for a captain who can lead by example or for a pundit where his job is to generate views and clicks. But as a manager you gotta be able to do office politics or players will throw you under the bus first chance they get.

Back