The Manchester United Thread

To be fair it was never this bad before Ferguson (relegation excepted of course) but even then it took him 5 years to truly get the club back up and running. The club now really need to pick a manager stick with him and back him for more than 2 seasons accept that things may not go to plan straight away and just get on with it.
If the club and new people in place stick to there word the process of this should already have started since Rangnick arrived.

Looking at the squad objectively, its a massive mess-

de Gea. as good as he is, is a major issue if you want a modern day goalie to sweep up behind a high line. He’s utter wank with a ball at his feet as he comes from a different goalkeeping era. Little behind him.

No RB to speak of.

LB’s you could get by with to a certain degree.

No competent CH for the level Utd should be at outside of Varane.

The midfield is a shitshow. Even Fernandes consistently fails to turn up in big games. van de Beek is the other one you could build around but F knows what's happening there?

And the forwards since Rashford fell off a cliff, and Ronaldo’s age hit him suddenly, are literally down to Sancho,

I wouldn’t know where to start rebuilding that squad with the added handicap of not having the ‘90’s/‘00’s pull of ‘Manchester United’ anymore? That’s SERIOUS money needed.

Unless Utd went down the Arsenal route and allowed youth tine to blossom, which won’t happen as Utd aren’t Arsenal and need to be winning now, it’s the biggest mess to sort out since Ferguson first tipped up.
There gonna have to do both. With the amount of players leaving and the amount of talent coming through some of the youth are gonna have to start being giving a chance. And we simply can’t fund to replace all the players we need plus extra squad players. It’s a mess but it could also lead to something good.

The longer it's gone on with Poch, the less he's looked like that top-level manager he set out on the road to be. Neither he or ten Hag should be anywhere near Utd. But this is how far you've fallen.
What other manager is out there that’s available? And pls don’t say Graham Potter

Looking at the squad objectively, its a massive mess-

The midfield is a shitshow. Even Fernandes consistently fails to turn up in big games. van de Beek is the other one you could build around but F knows what's happening there?
Hard to judge when we don’t have a right midfield to support him. That’s probably why VdB would look so isolated whenever he plays in that no. 10 role. If Bruno stayed in that advanced spot, he’d be starved of the ball cos our Mids can only pass sideways. He basically has to drop deep and do all that work.

As noted, this is where Utd are at.

Rodgers will be free along with Bruce this summer so there's hope yet! 😛
They could always give it to Keane and Neville seeing as they seem to have a lot to say about how the club is getting run. Then again Bruce at least has had some success in management in the past unlike Neville. Whilst as entertaining as it maybe to have Keane telling the likes of Ronaldo, Maguire and Pogba (if he stays, heaven forbid) to get stuck in he is more suited to the job as a pundit.

I also think the take on Poch is very reactionary here. A bit over a year ago, he was the hottest thing since sliced bread, now he’s damaged goods. He’s managing a political club with a dysfunctional PSG side. Take away Veratti, their central midfield is a mess (unless Marquinos fills in). Who knows if he’s being forced to play Messi/Neymar behind the season by Leonardo.
I remember Tuchel’s stock was pretty low when he got binned by the same club. 6 months later, that was easily forgotten and he won German manager of the year.

I’d still take him as long as we bring Paul Mitchell with him. Having him work along side Mitchell and Rangnick, I’d be pretty comfortable with that idea

Edit: there’s no manager out there atm that is risk-free. All I see are our issues being pointed out but no solution. Ten Haag might flop, he might succeed. Same thing applies to Poch.

I also think the take on Poch is very reactionary here. A bit over a year ago, he was the hottest thing since sliced bread, now he’s damaged goods. He’s managing a political club with a dysfunctional PSG side. Take away Veratti, their central midfield is a mess (unless Marquinos fills in). Who knows if he’s being forced to play Messi/Neymar behind the season by Leonardo.
I remember Tuchel’s stock was pretty low when he got binned by the same club. 6 months later, that was easily forgotten and he won German manager of the year.

I’d still take him as long as we bring Paul Mitchell with him. Having him work along side Mitchell and Rangnick, I’d be pretty comfortable with that idea

Edit: there’s no manager out there atm that is risk-free. All I see are our issues being pointed out but no solution. Ten Haag might flop, he might succeed. Same thing applies to Poch.
He may have seemed like the best thing since sliced bread but there is clearly a reason why he wasn't named as the United manager before Ole got the job (after all he wasn't exactly busy after leaving Spurs) maybe there were a few worries about his ability then. Plus anyone who with the players PSG has fails to walk the French league and cups is clearly missing something especially when it comes to managing big names.

He may have seemed like the best thing since sliced bread but there is clearly a reason why he wasn't named as the United manager before Ole got the job (after all he wasn't exactly busy after leaving Spurs) maybe there were a few worries about his ability then. Plus anyone who with the players PSG has fails to walk the French league and cups is clearly missing something especially when it comes to managing big names.
He wasn’t named united manager because of Ed Woodward, who foolishly gave Solskjaer a permanent deal after that comeback against PSG ironically. Rumors circulating had him as the outright favorite as well. It’s a product of the scattergun approach in the past decade.

@David_Ornstein: "#mufc are well into the process to appoint a manager. They have met some candidates representatives - dialogue is flowing and they want to make a decision soon as they can. I don't think it'll be too long before we get a clear idea of who's it going to be."

A LOT of steam around the name Erik ten Hag
Yeah all the Poch talks seems to be around Fergie wanting him a few years ago and the players liking him more. Which in itself should be a huge red flag.

Sounds like the board, Murtaugh, Rangnick all favour ETH

Back