The Manchester United Thread

Yeah, we already know this. I'd at least like him to try, he might be better at it than it looks, he seems like a ultimate confidence player to me. But for him to try that, United need to play the high line, and with this defense and midfield there's no way.

His passing, however, is inexcusable.
He did try to sweep once against city and completely made a meal of it lol. It’s not his game

We should run a book as to how quickly Ferdinand, Scholes and co turn on him.
I mean, scholes already got a head start stating we should go for either Conte or Tommy Tucker.

4 months in, I can see it now “ETH isn’t at the level required to manage Manchester United. His only resume is winning the league title in an inferior league”

Last edited:
I mean, scholes already got a head start stating we should go for either Conte or Tommy Tucker.

4 months in, I can see it now “ETH isn’t at the level required to manage Manchester United. His only resume is winning
Sad but true. You can see it now.🤦🏻‍♂️ There’s no guarantee with ETH but for me he’s the best option out there by a mile imo. He needs backing with time, patience, money. Hopefully Murtaugh and Rangnick being here will see us doing things right for a change. Also talk of Rangnick trying to bring in Mitchell. Oh and Ed not being here should help massively. And the fact Arnold doesn’t seem to want to be involved in the football decisions be made🙏🏼

@Scouseinthehouse you know anything about him?

Former Liverpool coach Andy O'Boyle has emerged as a contender for the role of #mufc deputy director of football role. United want to appoint someone to assist John Murtough. O'Boyle is currently head of elite performance with the Premier League #mulive

Seems like the club are looking at him along side Mitchell to bring in.

He did try to sweep once against city and completely made a meal of it lol. It’s not his game
This is what irks me. Henderson is praised for his "sweeping" and "being dominant" and "cross catching ability" and he's average at all of those. DDG tries it once and against City and he sucks at it. Yet when he does it against Tottenham and saves a goal, there's no word about it. Thing is - we don't know if he can do it or not. We don't know if someone asked him do to so. Would like to see him to try it more often, but if not, United need a more diverse goalkeeper somewhere in the near future.

There aint that many sweeper goalkeepers. You need to make those if it fits your play style.

This is what irks me. Henderson is praised for his "sweeping" and "being dominant" and "cross catching ability" and he's average at all of those. DDG tries it once and against City and he sucks at it. Yet when he does it against Tottenham and saves a goal, there's no word about it. Thing is - we don't know if he can do it or not. We don't know if someone asked him do to so. Would like to see him to try it more often, but if not, United need a more diverse goalkeeper somewhere in the near future.

There aint that many sweeper goalkeepers. You need to make those if it fits your play style.
DDG is like what? 32 years old? He’s past that stage of trying to adapt his game. Only manager we’ve had that even tried to mold him into some thing of a sweeper keeper was LVG. Then we hired Jose whom discouraged that (we played a low block anyways).

@Scouseinthehouse you know anything about him?

Former Liverpool coach Andy O'Boyle has emerged as a contender for the role of #mufc deputy director of football role. United want to appoint someone to assist John Murtough. O'Boyle is currently head of elite performance with the Premier League #mulive

Seems like the club are looking at him along side Mitchell to bring in.

Going back a few years that to BK. (Before Klopp.).

Name rings a bell. Physio? Fitness coach? Something medical/ sports science if I remember rightly? Gonna' say it was mainly well younger age groups at the time who maybe got bumped for a season or 2 with the 18's/ ressies as it's only a vague memory. 🤷‍♂️

DDG is like what? 32 years old? He’s past that stage of trying to adapt his game. Only manager we’ve had that even tried to mold him into some thing of a sweeper keeper was LVG. Then we hired Jose whom discouraged that (we played a low block anyways).

As we discussed the other week, I think it's simply that he's from a different era when 'keepers weren't really asked to play with their feet. Why he's so bad at distribution and so good at everything else.

Too old to really coiach that into him now so it leaves a decision as to style United want to going forward.

It baffles me the disrespect he still get's as he's still a top quality goalkeeper. Just not a 'modern day' one.

IF ETH comes in don’t be surprised to see DDG out of the team and a new GK brought in.
Unfortunately, that would be one of those tough decisions that would need to be made unfortunately for us to evolve as a team. Like Scouse said, he’s a top quality GK but with the growing popularity of the Gegen press, you really can’t play a high line with DDG so he will be an unfortunate casualty.

You also can’t play a high line with Maguire and AWB but I couldn’t care any less about these lots

Unfortunately, that would be one of those tough decisions that would need to be made unfortunately for us to evolve as a team. Like Scouse said, he’s a top quality GK but with the growing popularity of the Gegen press, you really can’t play a high line with DDG so he will be an unfortunate casualty.

You also can’t play a high line with Maguire and AWB but I couldn’t care any less about these lots
Was talking with a mate/fan at work today about if ETH comes in. Boy he’s got some work to do with this squad!

I’d say we need 6 new first XI players this summer.
Needing is one thing but getting is another. If they had of got rid of certain players last season when there were interested parties instead of trying to get the extra few pounds out of the deal then there would probably be some extra money in the pot. Unfortunately the likes of Mata, Martial, Lingard and Pogba weren't sold. Now they are either on the way out on a freebie or in the case of Martial not worth the price the club wants. Personally I cannot see the transfers being huge this summer, maybe a new CB and Fwd but that will be it, the rest of the changes to the squad will probably come from the U23's.

Needing is one thing but getting is another. If they had of got rid of certain players last season when there were interested parties instead of trying to get the extra few pounds out of the deal then there would probably be some extra money in the pot. Unfortunately the likes of Mata, Martial, Lingard and Pogba weren't sold. Now they are either on the way out on a freebie or in the case of Martial not worth the price the club wants. Personally I cannot see the transfers being huge this summer, maybe a new CB and Fwd but that will be it, the rest of the changes to the squad will probably come from the U23's.
It will be the same as any new Utd manager that comes in. Usually first window gets good backing then the after that not so much. Will have to see if that changes with the restructure though. Also last time we missed out on the CL we had a very good summer.

If we do things right we shouldn’t have to go daft in the window!

Back