The Manchester United Thread

Regardless of my skepticism with Ten Hag, I just want to see us build something consistent: a consistent philosophy as such, we wouldn’t need a full on rebuild every 2-3 years.

The squad atm, is a mismatch of everything. We went from Moyes to LVG to Mourinho to Solskjaer and solkjaer didn’t even have an identifiable style of play. His first season, I think he was trying to turn us into some counter attacking Atletico-Madridesque side with bringing in Maguire/AWB/Dan James. I’d say those players are a lot more suited to playing a low block. The following season, he bought Telles (for all intents and purposes to usurp like Shaw), Cavani and Van Der Beek. These players fit sides that push higher up and play with more possession.The next season, he buys Sancho and Varane (I didn’t mention Ronaldo cos he was more of a club signing Tbf). These two not truly fit a side meant to play front foot, high pressing football however, he still neglected the central midfield area that was nowhere suited to controlling games. Again, no forward thinking process here which pretty much sums us up in the past decade or so

He has one job, as of now. To get Utd into the top 4. Anything else is complete and utter failure after the last summer spend.

He's been there long enough now to be having an effect and it's no different to the PE Teacher!

So in the interests of fairness, the same applies to him as it did to the other clown. Surely?

And that's before you even get into the future mess which I'm staying clear of. In the here and now, he's an unmitigated disaster as to his present role. Let's be fair.

And the present effects the future.
You’re right. If all the focus was just his stinct as manager, he’s been shambles but let’s not pretend that’s the sole reason he was brought in. If the higher ups were really that desperate for top 4, they would’ve jumped at the opportunity to sign Conte (who’s a better bet than someone who’s had just one management job in the past 12 years)

Regardless of my skepticism with TenHag, .....

I'm staying clear of this and my thoughts as ANY change is naturally going to be embraced and celebrated so there's no need to intrude on that.

But I will add, I think you are bang on mate about Pochetino being the only one of the two who should get the gig. If a rebuild with youth is to be had (Which is never going to properly happen at Utd given the need to be constantly challenging. Fan pressure alone will never accept that. And certainly not with a Dutch system manager who the fans will doubtless turn on quick if things don't turn quickly, as many have Rangnick already), then Pochetino is the best bet there as he's proven he can do that by gutting that Tottenham side and bringing in young, hungry players and making them one of the fittest units in the league. And a ****** good one to watch too.

I have my doubts about his ultimate ability to win things. But if a rebuild is the aim, and stability at the manager position, he's by far the better of the two IMHO.

..... If the higher ups were really that desperate for top 4, .....

Mate, come on now, Utd can't not be desperate for top 4. You can't have the summer spend you had, bringing back Ronaldo to boot, and not finish in the top 4.

You just can't without it being an unmitigated disaster.

It's complete folly to suggest Utd isn't predicated on being in the CL. If they weren't arsed about it, they may as well have kept Solksjaer and brought in Rangnick in a proper DoF role to pick his own manager in the summer.

I'm staying clear of this and my thoughts as ANY change is naturally going to be embraced and celebrated so there's no need to intrude on that.

But I will add, I think you are bang on mate about Pochetino being the only one of the two who should get the gig. If a rebuild with youth is to be had (Which is never going to properly happen at Utd given the need to be constantly challenging. Fan pressure alone will never accept that. And certainly not with a Dutch system manager who the fans will doubtless turn on quick if things don't turn quickly, as many have Rangnick already), then Pochetino is the best bet there as he's proven he can do that by gutting that Tottenham side and bringing in young, hungry players and making them one of the fittest units in the league. And a ****** good one to watch too.

I have my doubts about his ultimate ability to win things. But if a rebuild is the aim, and stability at the manager position, he's by far the better of the two IMHO.

Yup, that’s what makes him a lot more suitable compared to Ten Hag in my eyes. The work he did at spurs, under some difficult circumstances, gives me enough confidence that he can come in and at least give us some stability (he’s going to be backed better financially).

It’s also important we’d have a good contingency plan after him (cos I feel he’d reach a point where he can’t deliver trophies and we’d have to part ways) and not do handle it the way spurs have by hiring Mourinho (complete 180 from Pochettino). Instead, hire someone that would simply build on his work etc.

Rangnick: “Both teams of Manchester City and Liverpool, those two teams have been built together and recruited over a period of five or six years, all of them under the premises of how the coaches want to play. I told the board this is what has to happen.” #MUFC

Rangnick: “Whenever the new head coach is clear, it has to be: ‘How does he want to play & what kind of players do we need for that?’ Then we come back to DNA, speed, physicality, tempo — what do we need? This team does not lack technical players, it can do with more physicality”

Rangnick: “It takes right decisions and where you want to go to — what kind of players, what kind of manager — and then in every transfer window try to get the best possible. This is possible. This is not rocket science. It’s not also about big names.” #MUFC

His 4 recommendations:
1. ⁠Aping Manchester City and Liverpool by recruiting unconditionally to the specific playing style of the new manager once known
2. ⁠Prioritising physical, aggressive players in the first instance after concluding this squad is too soft physically
3. ⁠Thorough profiling of a players’ “DNA” before signing
4. ⁠Being prepared to accept it could take up three transfer windows to put right provided the plan is followed

Honestly, reflecting on that, the “too soft” remark is just a cryptic for “players are lazy”. If you look at city’s midfield of Bernardo Silva/KdB/Rodri, they aren’t the most physically imposing players but they work their socks off every game, running through brick walls and such. it’s all about that mentality

Ralf’s got some great ideas but my fear is the board not sticking to these ideas and panic buying some big name for optics when the road get tougher (cause it will). We need to able to accept a couple of mediocre seasons to reap rewards (Liverpool finished 8th back to back under Klopp if you remember).

Honestly, reflecting on that, the “too soft” remark is just a cryptic for “players are lazy”. If you look at city’s midfield of Bernardo Silva/KdB/Rodri, they aren’t the most physically imposing players but they work their socks off every game, running through brick walls and such. it’s all about that mentality

Ralf’s got some great ideas but my fear is the board not sticking to these ideas and panic buying some big name for optics when the road get tougher (cause it will). We need to able to accept a couple of mediocre seasons to reap rewards (Liverpool finished 8th back to back under Klopp if you remember).
Agreed the Board needs to accept there is no quick fix to the years of mismanagement at the club. Like you say they need to accept that to move forward the club has to accept that a period where the team won't be challenging is needed and not constantly changing a manager just because there is no silverware or Champions League football. Building a successful team takes time even with the oil money it took Chelsea and Man City several seasons (ok so both were in even worse shape than the current United squad) before they were even seen as challengers, likewise with Liverpool and Klopp and Ferguson and Manchester United (it took him 5 seasons to finally sort out the club after a similiar situation when Busby left). So what if the glory-hunter fans whine no club has a god given right to win.

We will play Nottingham Forest in the final of the FA Youth Cup at Old Trafford (date to be announced) Forest won 2-1 against Chelsea with two late goals to seal the win.

James Garner is set to be given the chance to impress #mufc’s new manager in pre-season during the summer #mulive [@mcgrathmike]

#mufc have earmarked James Garner as a player with first-team potential. When United's managerial appointment is made, Garner is likely to be assessed at close quarters before a decision is made on loaning him out again #mulive [@mcgrathmike]

Marcel van der Kraan: “Ten Hag is sounding out people in Dutch football who have a background at #MUFC and if they would be prepared to join. If you’re doing that sort of thing it looks like he could have some sort of guarantee he could walk into that club.”

#mufc are now targeting players who they feel would fit the sort of possession-based and high-pressing game favoured by their preferred managerial candidate Ten Hag. [@TelegraphDucker]

Just announce it already 😁

Marcel van der Kraan: “Ten Hag is sounding out people in Dutch football who have a background at #MUFC and if they would be prepared to join. If you’re doing that sort of thing it looks like he could have some sort of guarantee he could walk into that club.”

#mufc are now targeting players who they feel would fit the sort of possession-based and high-pressing game favoured by their preferred managerial candidate Ten Hag. [@TelegraphDucker]

Just announce it already 😁
Highly doubt anything will be announced till the end (or close to the end) of the season