The Manchester United Thread

Erik ten Hag heavily scouted Tyrell Malacia while at Ajax, appreciating his speed, positional awareness, high interception rate, and ability to attack space. Malacia fits the profile of player he wants at Manchester United. Club not denying strong, advanced interest in the LB

@WhoScored
Tyrell Malacia was the only player in Europe's top 7 leagues to average >1.5 shots pg, >1.5 dribbles pg and >2.5 tackles pg last season. A full-back that does it all!

€14m euros reported fee. This could be an absolute bargain deal. Like when Pool got Robertson

I knew Murtaugh and EtH would have targets ready to go as soon as he got his key piece of the puzzle in De Jong done. Long may it continue!

Another good thing about the Malacia deal is that it won’t even eat into our budget they way the deal looks structured. Wages saved on players wages left will cover the deal.

Do you know if we have any targets outside the Dutch contingent?
Anthony is Brazilian, Lisandro Martinez is Argentinian, Pau Torres is Spanish who is a backup CB. Rahm the German FB is back up LB according to Patrik Berger. Nunez wasn’t Dutch. The new backup GK isn’t Dutch. I’m sure there’s more in the list.

Anthony is Brazilian, Lisandro Martinez is Argentinian, Pau Torres is Spanish who is a backup CB. Rahm the German FB is back up LB according to Patrik Berger. Nunez wasn’t Dutch. The new backup GK isn’t Dutch. I’m sure there’s more in the list.

I do love how you’re so defensive, you missed the sarcasm in my comment

Lyon confirming that Malacia is dead after he agreed to joint Utd after there late bid. Also just read that the £54m for De Jong will be paid over 3 instalments. Which makes it an even better deal. And stretches our budget further.

Chong going back to PSV for around £6M according to Dutch reports. Shame never worked out for him. Some horrendous injuries!

Played well on loan at Birmingham last season. Be good business to get that for him with 1yr left and hardly played any football in 3 yrs. and missed nearly a season and half when we first signed him due to a knee injury.

If we can get around £20m for both him and Periera, Murtaugh making a good start as DOF.

One of #mufc's senior players describes Erik ten Hag's first week of pre-season training as "intense - not just on the body but the mind. He wants you to think, think, think" #mulive [@MelissaReddy_]

Erik ten Hag is determined to have players comfortable on the ball and making decisions with surety #mulive [@MelissaReddy_]

Erik ten Hag steps in each time a directive is not carried out properly in training, guiding players through exactly how he wants it to be done #mulive [@MelissaReddy_]

David de Gea is among those who have commented to staff about the improved discipline, standards and Erik ten Hag's "clear ideas" #mulive [@MelissaReddy_]

Staff have been motivated by the early shape of Erik ten Hag's #mufc reign and feel he is already showing the coaching ability and improved dynamic they recruited him for #mulive [@MelissaReddy_]

Erik ten Hag leads every element of training, which differs to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who would watch on as McKenna, Carrick and Phelan conducted the workouts. The nature of them was tagged as "basic" and "giving too much freedom with little correction.” [@MelissaReddy_]

In training, Erik ten Hag repeatedly uses the line: "Not good enough. Give me the maximum", which is offset by the encouragement he offers when "the highest level" is achieved. [@MelissaReddy_]

Assisted by Mitchell van der Gaag and Steve McClaren, there has been a heavy concentration on what to do in possession for a start. Ten Hag's deep analysis of #mufc highlighted an issue of fear and uncertainty when on the ball. [@MelissaReddy_]

Erik ten Hag ideally wants the bulk of #mufc’s transfer business completed before the squad flies out for their pre-season tour on July 8. [@MelissaReddy_]

Erik ten Hag has eroded the misery that engulfed the place during Ralf Rangnick's reign, but has also "laid down the law" in a way that escaped Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. [@MelissaReddy_]

The manager is understood to be pleased with how the squad have embraced and adjusted to his demands, including the arrival time to the complex of 9 am - which was previously only applicable to youth players. [@MelissaReddy_]

Laid back coach gives too much freedom with not enough correction/disiplinarian coach gives too little freedom with too much correction. United are like poetry, they repeat the same two stanzas over and over.

Definitely heard similar rumors from the LVG era so I don’t buy any of this till I see it materialize on the pitch.

Laid back coach gives too much freedom with not enough correction/disiplinarian coach gives too little freedom with too much correction. United are like poetry, they repeat the same two stanzas over and over.

😆

I think 'curiosity' is my interest in this one. I mean, don't get me wrong, I ultimately think he'll go the same way as everyone else and be back in Holland within a few years with his reputation tarnished. But financially set-up for life for his family. The whole set-up at Utd under the Glazers just isn't conducive for anyone to succeed. (Still can't believe the Wreck-It Ralph fiasco when they had the perfect DoF/ GM, call it what you will, to justify wasting CL football and a rebuild. To now be left with a manager seemingly dictating acquisitions. That just turned Utd into more of a laughing stock than they had been but by the by. They've chosen to go own this road now.). Aside from the support not giving anyone the time they need to sort this un-Godly mess out. Which is LONG as you can't see them challenging for top 4 any time soon. Never mind anything above and beyond that.

But that's just my view and no need to debate anything before the fella's had that all important pre-season under his belt.

So it's an interesting curiosity for me. On the face of it he looks to be trying to replicate what he did at Ajax which is all a bit mad to me considering the Worlds of difference between both the set-up there and Utd. And English football to Dutch which are polar opposites. (For instance, two short **** CH's from Ajax heavily linked already is baffling when you need physicality and height in the position in England but that's his bag.).

Given my complete skepticism of Dutch coaches in the main being system coaches who generally flop outside the Netherlands, it'll be an interesting one to watch unfold.

'Curiosity' is the word.

Last edited:
And English football to Dutch which are polar opposites. (For instance, two short **** CH's from Ajax heavily linked already is baffling when you need physicality and height in the position in England but that's his bag….
I wouldn’t mind Lisandro as the lad’s got a very good leap in him despite being 5’9” as long as we get a defender that more commanding next to him that can actually stay fit

I wouldn’t mind Lisandro as the lad’s got a very good leap in him despite being 5’9” as long as we get a defender that more commanding next to him that can actually stay fit

Ok, ta.

I got Arsenal wanting him at LB first and foremost, but CH as a primary role seemed questionable.

That at least makes a bit more sense.