The Manchester United Thread

Like Utd dropping on Mainoo, Everton really unearthed a gem in Braithwaite last season. Rapid quick for a lad 6'5. Uses his size and physicality brilliantly. Equally adept playing either side. Really smart positionally and getting his body shape the right side of his opponent. Really classy ball playing CH. Dyche lives for defenders and he loves him. That's why the Ev won't be selling unless a club did something stupid like a Maguire type offer that they couldn't refuse.

Like Gomez, Stones and Tomari, although a little younger, Guehi's more established and a really good CH in his own right. But coming through, the best English ball playing CH's 21 or under are, in IMHO, Braithwaite, Colwill (Although he needs out of Chelsea. He's being ruined in that environment), and Quansah. All three well over 6 foot, with all the traits to be dominant, really classy ball playing CH's for years to come.
Calling him a ball playing CH is a bit of a stretch. In the handful of games I watched Everton play last season, he can ping a good ball when given acres of space. If you apply a little pressure, he sort of panics and lumps it forward or passes it back to Pickford. Essentially, it’s like calling Maguire a ball playing CH.

The way I see it, he’s Maguire with more pace.

Calling him a ball playing CH is a bit of a stretch. In the handful of games I watched Everton play last season, he can ping a good ball when given acres of space. If you apply a little pressure, he sort of panics and lumps it forward or passes it back to Pickford. Essentially, it’s like calling Maguire a ball playing CH.

Then you patently haven’t watched much of him play football closely mate.

It pains me to say it, but Everton have an absolute gem on their hands there.

There’s a reason we wanted him badly last summer. Not that they’d ever sell to us. And it wasn’t because he’s a stopper like Maguire. 🤦‍♂️

He panics when pressured, lacks ability to break the press with passing, is awkward with ball at his feet and can be really reckless with his tacking. He is a physical specimen, but I'd rather have Maguire than him. For 40m, sure, why not. English tax and all. But anything more is a robbery.

Orny confirms 🤩

David Ornstein

@David_Ornstein
·
🚨
Manchester United agree deal with Newcastle United to appoint Dan Ashworth as sporting director. Move delayed by #MUFC & #NUFC struggling to compromise on compensation package but switch now sanctioned + 53yo to start immediately @TheAthleticFC

Stats are skewed for various factors. I believe what my eyes see. And Branthwaite is a better BPCB than Maguire who I like btw.
So on the one hand we have stats as argument, and counter agrument is -I trust my eyes. Which is fair enough. But I hope you now see why I do not rate Branthwaite as high as you do.

Orny confirms 🤩

David Ornstein
@David_Ornstein
·
🚨
Manchester United agree deal with Newcastle United to appoint Dan Ashworth as sporting director. Move delayed by #MUFC & #NUFC struggling to compromise on compensation package but switch now sanctioned + 53yo to start immediately @TheAthleticFC
Interesting is no fee mentioned. Probably agreed to be somewhere in the middle, so both teams can claim 'victory'. In the end though, United got their man

So on the one hand we have stats as argument, and counter agrument is -I trust my eyes. Which is fair enough. But I hope you now see why I do not rate Branthwaite as high as you do.
I have seen some of the things you and Leg have mentioned mate. But for most parts he’s been very impressive in a poor poor Everton side with a poor manager, system, players for most parts.

I have seen some of the things you and Leg have mentioned mate. But for most parts he’s been very impressive in a poor poor Everton side with a poor manager, system, players for most parts.
It's your opinion and as such I respect it, but I do not agree with it (same as you with mine). Gonna finish with this, if he ends up at United, I'd love if you were right.

Then you patently haven’t watched much of him play football closely mate.

It pains me to say it, but Everton have an absolute gem on their hands there.

There’s a reason we wanted him badly last summer. Not that they’d ever sell to us. And it wasn’t because he’s a stopper like Maguire. 🤦‍♂️
Maybe I’ve just watched all his mediocre games, it’s possible. I watch his matches against Newcastle (1-1), Chelsea, Brentford, you lot at goodison and the 2 games against us and the only game I was genuinely impressed was the blinder against you lot. Then again, they just sat in a typical Dyche low block (made Takowski look world
Class) which Maguire also thrives in.

That said, just because you lot where linked doesn’t make him a banger of an option after all, you were also linked with Mason Mount (whom I knew would be a failure from the off).

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. With all the de ligt rumors picking up, hypothetical, I don’t see where he starts. He’s not starting ahead of a full fit L Martinez nor a de ligt.