The Manchester United Thread

Not at all. All I said was saying "WELL DIDN'T YOU SEE HOW HE PLAYED TODAY MOYES IS ****" is nonsensical.

I'd advise against you starting a debate with me on Wilf Zaha, seriously. Particularly when I'm theoretically on your side in this whole thing. The fact that I'm not pushing Zaha here speaks volumes of the precarious argument you make.

A'ight. Name some for me to shoot down please.
That Charlie Adam lad has a decent shot on him, might add something to the team, fergie did say his corners are worth 10mil. <)

It doesn't have to be a world-class player... even if it's a young hot shot.... Kovacic? Not like Inter are in a great position right now. We were very interested in Herrera last summer and were willing to meet the release clause, or at least I expect we were because we clearly knew Bilbao didn't do business anything else other than release.

Suddenly he's off the radar, it's total mystifying to me. Were we really that shallow with our targets that suddenly we don't want them now?

Kovacic, an attacking midfield player that Inter are attempting to convert into a regista with varying levels of success. A good player? Yes. What United need? Not a chance. He's still quite poor defensively, and definitely lacks the positional awareness to play in United's midfield pair.

You've also mentioned Herrera. He's another one who's an attacking midfielder, and he's playing well, but unlike Kovacic he isn't being played deep even slightly. You haven't stopped tracking him - Cooke was at Bilbao's game with Almeria last month - but his release clause is ?30 million, and Bilbao have said they won't accept anything less. So ?30 million for another player to compete with Rooney and Mata and Januzaj AND Kagawa in an AM slot. Mhmm.

Covered them both. Bilbao no longer want to sell at al (and he is playing so badly) Inter will not sell the one genuine future top player they have for a pittance. They covet him like gold dust.

I never said they were easy.... but it won't be in the summer either. You can keep making excuses for everyone as to why we can't sign them. 5 months more with this midfield is a joke.

I never said they were easy.... but it won't be in the summer either. You can keep making excuses for everyone as to why we can't sign them. 5 months more with this midfield is a joke.

It's easier in the summer than in January. It's nothing to with excuses, you just cant grasp that it actually wasn't feasible to grasp a centre mid

Kovacic, an attacking midfield player that Inter are attempting to convert into a regista with varying levels of success. A good player? Yes. What United need? Not a chance. He's still quite poor defensively, and definitely lacks the positional awareness to play in United's midfield pair.

You've also mentioned Herrera. He's another one who's an attacking midfielder, and he's playing well, but unlike Kovacic he isn't being played deep even slightly. You haven't stopped tracking him - Cooke was at Bilbao's game with Almeria last month - but his release clause is ?30 million, and Bilbao have said they won't accept anything less. So ?30 million for another player to compete with Rooney and Mata and Januzaj AND Kagawa in an AM slot. Mhmm.

Pretty sure Herrera would be made in to a CM... not an attacking midfielder. No one ever considered him being bought to play further forward... well at least I didn't.

Anyway I thought United was known for developing players... admittedly it didn't work well with Anderson but it's a similar scenario really. Anything is better than Cleverley... or Giggs. Herrera has leadership qualities as well.

This is why mentioning names is pointless btw... excuses for every single player. Imagine the excuses before Mata arrived. (Myself included).

Hasn't Herrera been **** this season? Maybe that made Moyes think twice about him ...

Was initially, but his form has improved drastically. Fair play to him. Still not a deep midfielder though. He harries and tackles well, but positionally he's not too good and he needs to be surrounded with high energy runners like Susaeta, Rico and Iturraspe.

It's easier in the summer than in January. It's nothing to with excuses, you just cant grasp that it actually wasn't feasible to grasp a centre mid

And you seem to accept not getting CL will somehow make us still in for our top targets? Nonsense. We'll pay huge moolah to tempt them only... no other reason, which is the same issue as in January anyway.

Pretty sure Herrera would be made in to a CM... not an attacking midfielder. No one ever considered him being bought to play further forward... well at least I didn't.

Anyway I thought United was known for developing players... admittedly it didn't work well with Anderson but it's a similar scenario really. Anything is better than Cleverley... or Giggs. Herrera has leadership qualities as well.

This is why mentioning names is pointless btw... excuses for every single player. Imagine the excuses before Mata arrived. (Myself included).

Bilbao do not want to currently sell. They would have force us to pay tax. Even if we wanted to that would have pushed the price to 39 million pounds. That wouldn't have happened

Not worth ?30 million to do when there are alternatives.

Which is exactly why I thought he wouldn't be a particularly amazing signing at the time. Nothing's changed. Play him at CM and there would be problems.

If by "Herrera has leadership qualities" you mean "he's a dirty **** who cleans someone out once a game" then yeah, I might agree.

Yeah there are 'excuses' for every player. No player is perfect, but the ones you're mentioning are just silly. This is exactly why everyone's saying you're being unrealistic, because there's no single player on the market that can be feasibly attained and is worth the money the other club is asking for them.

And you seem to accept not getting CL will somehow make us still in for our top targets? Nonsense. We'll pay huge moolah to tempt them only... no other reason, which is the same issue as in January anyway.

Ermm its widely noted that we might not make CL and yet people are still talking to the club.

Here is the bit you haven't understood. We will pay big money, but there will be more targets available. That's kinda the key point. its the second bit.

No it isn't. The big clubs simply have no motivation or need to sell their best player mid-season when they have their own goals to achieve, and they know they can cash in in the summer anyway, when they've had 6 more months to properly scout a replacement.

Which is exactly why I thought he wouldn't be a particularly amazing signing at the time. Nothing's changed. Play him at CM and there would be problems.

If by "Herrera has leadership qualities" you mean "he's a dirty **** who cleans someone out once a game" then yeah, I might agree.

Yeah there are 'excuses' for every player. No player is perfect, but the ones you're mentioning are just silly. This is exactly why everyone's saying you're being unrealistic, because there's no single player on the market that can be feasibly attained and is worth the money the other club is asking for them.

I'd rather of got Guarin on loan for 6 months with Nani going the other way.... even if it meant paying his silly wages. Considering how many players we've let go in this window pretty sure it wouldn't matter too much.

(This means keeping Zaha btw)

I'd rather of got Guarin on loan for 6 months with Nani going the other way.... even if it meant paying his silly wages. Considering how many players we've let go in this window pretty sure it wouldn't matter too much.

Yeah. No one is gonna pay him 140k either. When Chelsea refuse to pay it because its not value for money, you KNOW its not value for money.

Yeah. No one is gonna pay him 140k either. When Chelsea refuse to pay it because its not value for money, you KNOW its not value for money.

We've freed up wages in January MIKE...... ARE YOU HAPPY WITH CLEVERLEY GIGGS AND JONES IN MIDFIELD FOR 5 MONTHS OR SOMETHING. YOU SEEM SO.

Well that's your opinion, and I heartily disagree with it. I like Guarin, but he's not worth 140k. He's hardly worth half that.

We've freed up wages in January MIKE...... ARE YOU HAPPY WITH CLEVERLEY GIGGS AND JONES IN MIDFIELD FOR 5 MONTHS OR SOMETHING. YOU SEEM SO.

Of course he is. Haven't you seen the multiple posts he's made praising United's midfield and calling it the best in the world? Literally every post he makes he points out how Cleverley is Europe's greatest midfielder.

Well that's your opinion, and I heartily disagree with it. I like Guarin, but he's not worth 140k. He's hardly worth half that.

What he's worth is kind of pointless when a) it's temporary and b) we've just freed up wages.

It's a short term fix to stop playing Cleverley, Jones or Giggs at CM. Which will most likely cost us dear this season.... NO CL will be money lost... anyone thought about that? Even if it doesn't effect United much blah blah blah.....

I'm happy with Carrick Fletcher and Fellaini. There is no point in freeing up wages, only to waste them again, when you have done groundwork for summer knowing people are ready to negotiate even if you don't make top 4.

What he's worth is kind of pointless when a) it's temporary and b) we've just freed up wages.

It's a short term fix to stop playing Cleverley, Jones or Giggs at CM. Which will most likely cost us dear this season.... NO CL will be money lost... anyone thought about that? Even if it doesn't effect United much blah blah blah.....
And there in lies your problem, its an average short term fix with big long term consequences, because you are now stuck with Guarin on 140k a week for 5 years

Back