The Manchester United Thread

Sorry, but Mata doesn't leave us with more questions than answers. That's an outright lie. Jury is out on Fellaini. You say where is our identity, but then ***** as he tries to buy a player to build one. If you want to know Moyes identity : he plays a 4-2-3-1 that doesn't always have most possession, but has a lot of final third passes, with narrow drifting wide men and aggressive fullbacks, a dominant and or creative 10, a deep lying playmaker and an aggressive holder.

Even if Mata does somehow fit into Moyes system... in the area we have most quality... bigger issues needed addressing in January. Not one of them were, no LB, no CB, no CM.

He's made 2 very expensive signings which have left us so far with more questions than answers as to regards where they will even fit in to 'his team' (what ever the **** that is).

Now we are going to accept a season without Champions League potentially just for the sake of blind faith? What even deserves Moyes of another season when there is no improvement.

How can you not see where either of them fit? Look at how great Pienaar/Baines were for Everton. Now imagine Mata and Evra/New LB. And it's even more obvious where Fellaini is supposed to fit.

Call Mata a luxury all you like, it's complete myth that Mata can only play as a 10, when nearly all of his career has played on the wing. And the way he plays on the wing, happens to be perfect for how Moyes likes to play. Second, Valencia has 2 assists, Young has 0, Nani hasn't played, Kagawa has 0, and Januzaj is only 18 and will burn out. Mata equals the highest assists of all our wingers after 2 matches.

Honestly, you criticise Moyes for buying a 'luxury' player who actually has a very clear long term role to play, and advocate us signing Guarin who would add something for about the grand total of 6 months. You have no consistency to your arguments. That's why everyone rips you. Your 'valid points' that you claim to make are just vague criticisms with no substance. When someone shows you the bullshit in what you posted you don't even attempt to counter it back, it's just "But yeah, *insert new vague criticism*".

No one has claimed he's perfect, but most are capable of looking at it logically, and not hating him simply because his name is David Moyes and not Alex Ferguson. You've hated him since day, you never have nor wanted to give him a chance and you'll take any ridiculous scrap you can to make a stick to beat him with.

One thing to remember is during a time of struggle you'll see which players are up for the fight and which players can't rise above it and have an influence.

His Everton team had a very good first eleven but what cost them was the lack of squad players for rotation. They couldn't keep up the intensity for the course of the season.

This United squad is full of players who can come in and do a job but the quality isn't of a top level which it should be at.

He's given most players a fair go. I'm not fully excusing him as he's made mistakes but he's walked into a club which needs freshening up in personnel. SAF in his last years didn't show the ruthlessness he probably should have had. We have for a few years a big reserve squad who were stagnating, Moyes has taken action by loaning them for first team football. He needs time to reshape the club overall, but there needs to be quick improvement in first team results.

Even if Mata does somehow fit into Moyes system... in the area we have most quality... bigger issues needed addressing in January. Not one of them were, no LB, no CB, no CM.
Because none of the other 3 were easily available, we still don't know yet about Vidic so that will run.. Mata does fit, Mata and Januzaj are the drifting widemen
EDIT: Joel sums you up.

Ermm its widely noted that we might not make CL and yet people are still talking to the club.

Here is the bit you haven't understood. We will pay big money, but there will be more targets available. That's kinda the key point. its the second bit.

More targets but more competition

Only Cabaye would have been an attainable target but the price would have gone up to 25-28m for us. PSG pose no direct threat to Newcastle. He was unsettled so it was an easy transfer for them.

Guarin is rank average. Does it not say a lot that a struggling Inter were trying to flog him out in January?

Only Cabaye would have been an attainable target but the price would have gone up to 25-28m for us. PSG pose no direct threat to Newcastle. He was unsettled so it was an easy transfer for them.

Guarin is rank average. Does it not say a lot that a struggling Inter were trying to flog him out in January?
and we wouldn't have match their 170k a week wage

How can you not see where either of them fit? Look at how great Pienaar/Baines were for Everton. Now imagine Mata and Evra/New LB. And it's even more obvious where Fellaini is supposed to fit.

Call Mata a luxury all you like, it's complete myth that Mata can only play as a 10, when nearly all of his career has played on the wing. And the way he plays on the wing, happens to be perfect for how Moyes likes to play. Second, Valencia has 2 assists, Young has 0, Nani hasn't played, Kagawa has 0, and Januzaj is only 18 and will burn out. Mata equals the highest assists of all our wingers after 2 matches.

Honestly, you criticise Moyes for buying a 'luxury' player who actually has a very clear long term role to play, and advocate us signing Guarin who would add something for about the grand total of 6 months. You have no consistency to your arguments. That's why everyone rips you. Your 'valid points' that you claim to make are just vague criticisms with no substance. When someone shows you the bullshit in what you posted you don't even attempt to counter it back, it's just "But yeah, *insert new vague criticism*".

No one has claimed he's perfect, but most are capable of looking at it logically, and not hating him simply because his name is David Moyes and not Alex Ferguson. You've hated him since day, you never have nor wanted to give him a chance and you'll take any ridiculous scrap you can to make a stick to beat him with.

You clearly didn't read the post correctly now, did you? I said SO FAR with more questions than answers over both signings. There has been no clear identity with his tactics at all, how you can tell me he is building towards this is ridiculous when he keeps changing from game to game, almost it seems, there is no continuity in what he is doing so that's a very flawed argument. Unless you are only counting the 2 matches since Mata's arrival.

It was a luxury signing. Them other player assists I suppose it's all their fault and nothing down to Moyes? It's down to his stupid tactics... or should I say lack of any consistency game to game.

Yes... loaning someone for 6 months..., that is kind of the point of having the effect of him for only 6 months,,, err? We freed up wages in January, if Guarin can come in and make a difference for 6 months here where he has something to prove.... provide a much better option than Cleverley/Giggs, therefore granting us CL... don't you think the rewards outweigh the consequences? At times in the Stoke game we didn't even have a midfield to be honest, Welbeck for Jones.. dafuq was that about.

Everyone rips me? I've just had Mike and you to be honest. My arguments aren't flawed at all, especially towards Moyes wrong-doings. He keeps making many mistakes and the performances aren't improving. No consistency, lack of a good knowledge-rotation, crazy subs, stupid media comments, making fans like you accept the current situation (that could be a master-stroke though). Not addressing any problem in January you could argue as well.

I didn't expect him to be perfect, I am capable of accepting it if he's not making mistakes that nearly every single common fan can identify. Furthermore, we've gone from Champions to fighting for top table (at this stage), no on-field improvement at all and I still can't remember the last convincing performance we've actually done on the pitch.

I'm not hating him due to his name at all, I am criticising him because of the mistakes he keeps making..... Why would I blindly accept what he is doing if I disagree with it? We're 7 points off CL places and well and truely, it should be more.

Last edited:
We screwed up in the summer window no doubt. There was too much dithering over targets. Moyes and Woodward have to be held accountable for that but they also had a difficult circumstance to deal with.

Players like Strootman, Thiago, Garay had reportedly been in discussions with United for a while so things were always going to be strange when a new manager comes in. He may not be interested in these players, therefore looks at different players like Fabregas. I personally felt that was a waste of time as we kept on trying to chase that transfer. Factor this in with the fact a player changes his mind last minute like Thiago then what can you do?

As I said the dithering over Fabregas and Baines in the summer was poor. I strongly doubt Barca would have let him go, and if they would have we should have put a strong bid in rather than waste time recovering the deal. Hopefully they learn from this and between now and the summer begin discussions to bringing the quality we need.

Because none of the other 3 were easily available, we still don't know yet about Vidic so that will run.. Mata does fit, Mata and Januzaj are the drifting widemen
EDIT: Joel sums you up.

Petty mod digs again is it Mike?

You can't justify Moyes subs yesterday and the on-field performances yet I have no valid points? Ridiculous. BLAME THE PLAYERS... IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT.

It's all going to be easy in the summer isn't it?

Petty mod digs again is it Mike?

You can't justify Moyes subs yesterday and the on-field performances yet I have no valid points? Ridiculous. BLAME THE PLAYERS... IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT.

It's all going to be easy in the summer isn't it?
I didn't dig at you at all. But we cant have 10 more days of this. come back for the Arsenal game, this thread has been utterly ruined.

You clearly didn't read the post correctly now, did you? I said SO FAR with more questions than answers over both signings. There has been no clear identity with his tactics at all, how you can tell me he is building towards this is ridiculous when he keeps changing from game to game, almost it seems, there is no continuity in what he is doing so that's a very flawed argument. Unless you are only counting the 2 matches since Mata's arrival.

Except when Moyes is well known for liking to play in that style, and Mata suits him down to the ground in that regard, and our current attack is suited perfectly for that style, it's a pretty simple deduction. If you want to reduce everything to this level, then you could say there are questions about ANY signing until you actually watch them for a significant period of time.

It was a luxury signing. Them other player assists I suppose it's all their fault and nothing down to Moyes? It's down to his stupid tactics... or should I say lack of any consistency.

You keep saying stupid tactics, yet you provide absolutely no detail about what is stupid about his tactics. We're pretty much playing the exact same we have for the last 3 years. And our wingers were even worse last year.

Yes... loaning someone for 6 months..., that is kind of the point of having the effect of him for only 6 months,,, err? We freed up wages in January, if Guarin can come in and make a difference for 6 months here where he has something to prove.... provide a much better option than Cleverley/Giggs, therefore granting us CL... don't you think the rewards outweigh the consequences? At times in the Stoke game we didn't even have a midfield to be honest, Welbeck for Jones.. dafuq was that about.

And yet they didn't want to loan him. I'm pretty sure I saw about one source reporting the Nani/Guarin loan swap deal, which no one else ran with, yet you've come to the conclusion that the deal was a set in stone option. I can guarantee if the same source started a rumour that Moyes was going for Fabregas again, you'd bang the drum that he's a ****** till the cows come home. Nani is also injured, so it makes it even less likely, although since you thought paying Dortmund whatever for an injured Gundogan would solve all our current problems, I can see why you don't see that as a stumbling block.

I missed the majority of the match so I can't really comment, but everyone used to criticise him for poor subs, yet multiple times this year he's won points by making offensive subs.

Everyone rips me? I've just had Mike and you to be honest. My arguments aren't flawed at all, especially towards Moyes wrong-doings. He keeps making many mistakes and the performances aren't improving. No consistency, lack of a good knowledge-rotation, crazy subs, stupid media comments, making fans like you accept the current situation (that could be a master-stroke though). Not addressing any problem in January you could argue as well.

Team is poor, his rotation is gonna be poor when he's trying to learn about the players and he's rotating shitness for shitness, many manager's make crazy media comments for other reasons, his media comments are making fans like me accept it? ******* laughable. I don't think I've given a single **** about what a manager says post-match ever. If anything, it's working because it makes fans like YOU direct your vitriol at him rather than the squad. Clever, huh?

I didn't expect him to be perfect, I am capable of accepting it if he's not making mistakes that nearly every single common fan can identify. Furthermore, we've gone from Champions to fighting for top table (at this stage), no on-field improvement at all and I still can't remember the last convincing performance we've actually done on the pitch.

I think the last time I thought we were genuinely dominant and produced exciting football is back in that glorious 5 match period where we had a midfield of Anderson/Cleverley and we smashed everyone 5-0. The football is just as dire as it was last year, if anything our attack looks more fluid now than it did, but the midfield is shocking and the defence has disappeared. So yet another one of your 'valid points' is one that was equally valid last year, but it somehow only found validity when it was David Moyes conducting it.

Last edited:

It was a luxury signing. Them other player assists I suppose it's all their fault and nothing down to Moyes? It's down to his stupid tactics... or should I say lack of any consistency game to game.

Tactically I think Moyes has been disappointing so far. As I said previously early on in the season we played a decent brand of attacking football with the 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3. Valencia tucking inside getting into goalscoring positions allowing the RB to push on. Rooney dropping deep and dictating, there was better link up, pressing high up and in the beginning we had good possession stats. I think the problem was when the injuries started he didn't want to risk a pressing game so has gone for a rigid 4-4-1-1 / 4-4-2 which Ferguson succeeded with. However this has exposed our lack of athleticism in the middle of the park, and creativity to create chances. In the CL he's stuck with the 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 and that's where our best performances have been. I think he knows there isn't an expectancy in that competition so he wants to experiment what will be the future tactics. Against Swansea in the second half he had Januzaj - Kagawa - Valencia all interchanging and linking up.

Guarin wasn't available for loan. He isn't good enough anyway. I would have brought Fletcher on for Jones to give us more control. I can only assume because we were chasing he didn't want to have only 1 more sub to bring on a forward player. Rooney had a decent game in midfield, Welbeck was poor.

I'm not hating him due to his name at all, I am criticising him because of the mistakes he keeps making..... Why would I blindly accept what he is doing if I disagree with it? We're 7 points off CL places and well and truely, it should be more.

We all expect better but since SAF retired there have been cracks in the establishment. Some of these players haven't experienced anything other Ferguson's management so haven't handled the transition well. The senior players have bar Rooney have been missing. We have a good unit of young players. Moyes needs to learn from his mistakes and he needs to get a run of victories. Fulham next week should be comfortable. From then on we need to build momentum.

No, you effectively spamming the thread, ruins it. I reversed it and I immediately regret doing so.

Actually you know what. I can be arsed having the thread go to **** again.

No, you effectively spamming the thread, ruins it. I reversed it and I immediately regret doing so.

I want to know how talking about United ruins the United thread and deserves me getting banned.

I want to know how talking about United ruins the United thread and deserves me getting banned.

You serious? go back and read what you have posted. All of it. for the last month.

[video=youtube;lT68Fx11ocw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT68Fx11ocw[/video]

Everyone forgotten this so quickly? 2:36.

[video=youtube;lT68Fx11ocw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT68Fx11ocw[/video]

Everyone forgotten this so quickly? 2:36.

Obviously so. If they forget the words of a legendary manager so quick they should support somebody else. Makes me sad to think they obviously won't listen to such wise words of a legend who speaks so much incredible sense.

From a neutral's pov, you can dial down the indignation a bit, it does get a bit tedious to read and spoils the thread. If the Arsenal thread was all about 'we've not won anything for almost a decade!' day in, day out, I'd be a bit bored of it after a day or two. Utd are rebuilding, it's a transition season, it doesn't even better if you get 4th or not (the money is still there for a goode rebuild). Let Mata, Roon, Janu and RVP click and I'm expecting you lot to go on a charge. If you're still in the running for 4th and you're in your "worst season" for two decades, then being a Utd fan can't be that hard, can it?

Back