The Manchester United Thread

Basically, Moyes had an impossible job - taking over from SAF. It's not an excuse, it's just fact. Our problem is (and a very good one indeed), we are simply used to winning. United haven't had to face a bad run of form like this in.. forever. Lets face it, when Chelsea were down in the dumps sometime in the last two years, or when Liverpool have been down and out in the last 'oh how many seasons', there wasn't this level of furore (I mean no offense to either, but they were the first two top clubs that came to my mind). It's simply that we, under SAF, have never been seen anywhere but at the top. Which makes the present situation all the more difficult.

Let's accept, no coach in the present age can get the type of results that SAF could. Simply noone. He is rightly called a legend. That, however, doesn't completely absolve Moyes of the blame, either. Moyes has made blunders, no doubt, but everything is not completely his fault.

The over-abundance of crosses, can be succintly put down the post which was stated earlier. We don't have a Paul Scholes or his successor at the club, at present. We simply cannot play our way through the middle, without having Scholes, or his successor. That is, Moyes seems to be sticking to the safe and secure. You ideally need a Ball Winning Midfielder to get the balls, and a creative midfielder to spray the balls upfront. Scholes was both of these. ATM, with Carrick not in his prime, and struggling with injuries, Fletcher and Fellaini struggling with injuries, Cleverley playing horribly, we simply have no other option other than crossing to depend on.

Add to the fact that current run of results will have done Moyes' morale no good. He wouldn't really be inclined to experiment with tactics, trying to stick with the old and oft-used for now, till he gets atleast a couple of good results. And yes, we've had horrible luck this season. Our key players injured, still picking up injuries.. It does the morale no good.

Tactically, Moyes has made some blunders. I still remember the Fulham game where Rooney was relegated to the midfield. He had bad luck that game too, with both CB going off due to injury, but some tactics made absolutely no sense. But, that doesn't mean the chopping board needs to be brought on just yet. A little patience will go a long way towards that.

Realistically, noone expected Moyes to win the League this year. But on the other hand, noone expected us to be in the dumps either. But there have been a lot of factors contributing to that, not just Moyes. We've had horrible luck regarding injuries, our players have not performed upto scratch. Moyes tactics also don't make sense at many times. But then again, we've never been a Chelsea, firing managers for fun.

Moyes inherited a dead-beat, aging albeit League winning squad. But he needs more time to stamp his authority on the team. Moyes is not the 'My way or the Highway' like Fergie or the brash, clever way of Mourinho. But he has his own way, and should be given a bit more time.

If the Mata transfer hadn't happened, then I too would be having my own doubts about whether Moyes could do a decent job in the summer (it's only a natural thought, I'm but human). But then again, we managed to get a model professional from one of our rivals, who's been our best player in the games he's played. As long as Moyes acts decisively in the summer, there's no reason why we can't come back on top, even under him. He's getting rid of the deadwood, and trying to get players in, let's atleast give him a chance before condemning him completely.

It's not about lowering expectations at all, it's more about giving the manager to get his team in order, get the players he wants in, and then setting the high expectations we've always come to expect from our team. I'm not saying Moyes should be blame-free for the recent string of results, noone is foolish enough to say that. All I'm saying is, atleast give him a bit more time, before condemning him to the guillotine. He is not going to be fired, we've never been about kick out managers easily, so might as well get behind him, and see what he does.

In this horrible time, we should get behind the manager and support him, rather than completely chopping off his head. Give him time till the next transfer window. If our results are still woeful as ever, at the end of the second season, then no-one can fault people for trying to get rid of Moyes. I too, would probably be one among them. But, not atm, no matter how bad we look on paper.

Remember, we support United because we like the club, not just because we're used to winning.

The over-abundance of crosses, can be succintly put down the post which was stated earlier. We don't have a Paul Scholes or his successor at the club, at present. We simply cannot play our way through the middle, without having Scholes, or his successor. That is, Moyes seems to be sticking to the safe and secure. You ideally need a Ball Winning Midfielder to get the balls, and a creative midfielder to spray the balls upfront. Scholes was both of these. ATM, with Carrick not in his prime, and struggling with injuries, Fletcher and Fellaini struggling with injuries, Cleverley playing horribly, we simply have no other option other than crossing to depend on.

I'm sorry, we can give as many excuses for Moyes but this is wrong. How can a team with Rooney, RVP, Mata, Januzaj and Kagawa cannot attack from middle and only rely on crosses?

On Cleverley, he said in an interview that Manager asked him to play more restricted role which IMO is not a good thing to hear. You want to hear players saying manager asked us to express ourselves on the field.

On Cleverley, he said in an interview that Manager asked him to play more restricted role which IMO is not a good thing to hear. You want to hear players saying manager asked us to express ourselves on the field.

You cant have everybody be creative and attempt risky passes, there's always that one guy who will primarily focus on controlling possession. Just look at Barca - Busquets is perfectly capable of constantly pumping 40m holywood passes with laser precision but 95% of his distribution actually goes sideways to the nearest player.

this really gets to me: Premier League: David Moyes sticking to principles as Manchester United prepare to face Arsenal | Football News | Sky Sports

Moyes: "There have been a few twists this season; hopefully we'll get them our way in the future. You just continue doing the right things. Keep going and your luck will change, there's no doubt about that."

It gets to me, because they are not doing the right things, not playing the football that we should be playing and IT IS NOT THE PLAYERS, IT THE TACTICS. Having a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C and even if push comes to shove a Plan D. Lately it is just a Plan C - Crossing.

Hopefully they watched the game tape of the Ars vs Liv game and come away with a BIG needed won tonight.

That is my ******** done for the day. :D

You shouldn't read Sky for accurate news... especially since the last press conference was him, pretty much not answering the press.

You shouldn't read Sky for accurate news... especially since the last press conference was him, pretty much not answering the press.
I know, but I like watching the pre match conferences and you can see he got annoyed.

But he said that they are doing things right. The last couple of games I didn't see anything right that we did on or off the pitch.

I know, but I like watching the pre match conferences and you can see he got annoyed.

But he said that they are doing things right. The last couple of games I didn't see anything right that we did on or off the pitch.

He was simply battering away the questions and not giving them what they wanted. Oddle enough though, getting in behind and drilling crosses behind Arsenal is actually a very good method of attack, as they play fairly high up the pitch and their full backs leave acres of space behind them. We've picked them off time and again before doing just that.

He was simply battering away the questions and not giving them what they wanted. Oddle enough though, getting in behind and drilling crosses behind Arsenal is actually a very good method of attack, as they play fairly high up the pitch and their full backs leave acres of space behind them. We've picked them off time and again before doing just that.
Will agree with you on that. But at least have another plan this time if it doesn't work. That is not to much to ask. :P

You cant have everybody be creative and attempt risky passes, there's always that one guy who will primarily focus on controlling possession. Just look at Barca - Busquets is perfectly capable of constantly pumping 40m holywood passes with laser precision but 95% of his distribution actually goes sideways to the nearest player.

Asking him to play box to box role is not risky when the other midfielder is Carrick who likes to sit deep. I don't think comparing to Barca does any good here as the whole team moves as a team and not as individuals.

"Dangerous things," please.

And yes, it does mean that, because when you've had a manager who has set the standards higher than any other manager could, then you need to open up to some perspective, and allow the next person to be given at least one write-off. Accepting that the squad needs to better and a new manager weathering one season regardless of how results go -- within logical reasoning -- are two different things. Particularly for this situation.

And yes they can. Things change, people change, eras change. When one plan doesn't work, you need a backup. Moyes has a plan and he will put it in place. Now it's just a matter of time before he can actually implement it.

Yeh... you seen it right... dangerous things if you have that attitude of "ohhh well we just write this season off".

If you go in to the next season and start with 3 defeats... you gonna suddenly write another season off due to 2nd season syndrome with Moyes?

I'd rather not even debate about it, but I hate that whole attitude of "this season is a write off", no reason why it should be at all. You know other managers have come in... one through mid-season who are above us right?

Sherwood is a rookie manager, has come in with a squad full of new players part way through the season and Spurs are above us. Sick of the excuses to be honest.

Looks like Moyes is losing it with media, gave a very weird interview where he couldn't even answer straightforward questions and said something like you need sort of intelligence to understand tactics. Well it wouldn't take Einstein to figure out our game plan against Fulham.

Yeh... you seen it right... dangerous things if you have that attitude of "ohhh well we just write this season off".

If you go in to the next season and start with 3 defeats... you gonna suddenly write another season off due to 2nd season syndrome with Moyes?

I'd rather not even debate about it, but I hate that whole attitude of "this season is a write off", no reason why it should be at all. You know other managers have come in... one through mid-season who are above us right?

Sherwood is a rookie manager, has come in with a squad full of new players part way through the season and Spurs are above us. Sick of the excuses to be honest.
Sherwood actually knows most of his players (he is using the academy and non new players a lot more), and also has a much better balanced squad. I'd kill for Sandro and Paulinho in midfield.
Everton by the way, are on the same level as last season, having scored less and conceded more than Moyes had done.

Looks like Moyes is losing it with media, gave a very weird interview where he couldn't even answer straightforward questions and said something like you need sort of intelligence to understand tactics. Well it wouldn't take Einstein to figure out our game plan against Fulham.

Wasn't weird. He just didn't want to talk to them. He was a surly ******* all day, I know, I saw the camera feeds that don't go public.

We all knows what happen as soon as you lose the media....
And Woodward got a difficult day today, with the investors.

He's never had the media to lose. He simply stopped doing his cheery smile and went back to being the surly manager at Everton

Put it this way. The first major briefing he gives, and the vast majority lie about what he said (Rooney). He's never had the press. More to the point, how he is viewed in the press isn't relevant to the Glazer, bearing in mind they are almost universally hated in the UK

Sherwood actually knows most of his players (he is using the academy and non new players a lot more), and also has a much better balanced squad. I'd kill for Sandro and Paulinho in midfield.
Everton by the way, are on the same level as last season, having scored less and conceded more than Moyes had done.

I just want to see United play some ambitious football, there is nothing worse than seeing this dire drivel when it's not even giving any results anyway.

Carrick and Fletcher whilst not the best, certainly isn't too bad. We have one of the best attacks in the world, lets give Kags a go as a CM (bit like Dembele), I'd love to see how he does and we have nothing to lose in all honesty.

I just want to see United play some ambitious football, there is nothing worse than seeing this dire drivel when it's not even giving any results anyway.

Carrick and Fletcher whilst not the best, certainly isn't too bad. We have one of the best attacks in the world, lets give Kags a go as a CM (bit like Dembele), I'd love to see how he does and we have nothing to lose in all honesty.
you and me both mate. I'm just pointing out some reasons that's all. Not the maddest idea, but not going to happen away vs Arsenal. I really want Fellaini to play, he was starting to look like that angry Everton ******* before he was ruled out for injury. could do with that.

you and me both mate. I'm just pointing out some reasons that's all. Not the maddest idea, but not going to happen away vs Arsenal. I really want Fellaini to play, he was starting to look like that angry Everton ******* before he was ruled out for injury. could do with that.

One can hope Fellaini will be a big player for us, I hope he does cut it and isn't a disappointment. Still having my doubts over him positionally, which is worrying considering the position we want him to play.

Hoping his back/elbow problems was effecting this to some degree.

Back