The Manchester United Thread

zzeezzy, further to my point earlier about long term. Listening to woodward today, shows this is all about the long game, and that Moyes has been given a long term aim. They are looking to turnover a fair few players this summer, and spend in a way that has not been seen in while. In separate news, Evra's future at the club may not be over.

One can hope Fellaini will be a big player for us, I hope he does cut it and isn't a disappointment. Still having my doubts over him positionally, which is worrying considering the position we want him to play.

Hoping his back/elbow problems was effecting this to some degree.
He needs time, we shouldn't have tried to play games with Everton, just brought him in so he could have pre season with us, expect him to be much better 2nd season.

zzeezzy, further to my point earlier about long term. Listening to woodward today, shows this is all about the long game, and that Moyes has been given a long term aim. They are looking to turnover a fair few players this summer, and spend in a way that has not been seen in while. In separate news, Evra's future at the club may not be over.

The importance of this summer can't even be described. I can't even think of who is realistic at this point, but it needs to be done before World-Cup.

Me personally, I would rather see us play expansive football and lose, then the boring football and lose anyway or draw. If we are going to lose do it in style at least. Go big or go home.

If United get a good spanking tonight, and I have a bad feeling they might, then surely moyes will go from the chosen one to the sacked one.
My wild theory on moyes is that he is an assassin sent into United to destroy them in the hope that our value drops so much that the glazers are forced to sell us to a billionaire Arab.

Not sure being run by an Arab would be any better. I'd like a rich fan group to take over in the hanky panky ideal fine n dandy world.

The issue most people have at this point is wether you can really trust a massive warchest with manager who's clearly not doing very good. Another botched summer window and club will most likely be screwed for 3-4 seasons. Its taken Liverpool what, 4 years to rebuild after Rafa left and King Kenny got in charge of the transfers?

The club made a decision and have to leave or die by their sword, it'd be utterly pointless changing manager during a period of such transition. I liked moyes and the decision to hire him, I just hope he improves tactically and plays more expansive football when he has put a squad together of his choosing.

The issue most people have at this point is wether you can really trust a massive warchest with manager who's clearly not doing very good. Another botched summer window and club will most likely be screwed for 3-4 seasons. Its taken Liverpool what, 4 years to rebuild after Rafa left and King Kenny got in charge of the transfers?

I don't think it's a case of fans not trusting him on how he will spend the money, but more whether he is actually the right man to lead us through the transition. These doubts are obviously coming from how bad it has been lately on the pitch and the performances.

The club made a decision and have to leave or die by their sword, it'd be utterly pointless changing manager during a period of such transition. I liked moyes and the decision to hire him, I just hope he improves tactically and plays more expansive football when he has put a squad together of his choosing.

Quite, also utterly pointless going to the summer spending all that money with the wrong guy in charge when he can't seem capable of getting the standards required at United, that includes the tactics.

This was always a worry for me, Moyes is not proven at the highest-level, how we can end up with him was beyond me. I know Fergie chose him, but are you telling me there is not other faithful world-class managers out there.

Giving him time is one thing, every team has a barrier they shouldn't go through, even the likes of Swansea have acted.

Last edited:
Yes, because there are so many available, proven at the highest-level, long-term type of managers... HOW ON EARTH WOULD FERGIE CHOOSE MOYES. **** YOU FERGIE. YOU ARE CLUELESS.

Yes, because there are so many available, proven at the highest-level, long-term type of managers... HOW ON EARTH WOULD FERGIE CHOOSE MOYES. **** YOU FERGIE. YOU ARE CLUELESS.

Jurgen Klopp would of been my man, I'd even of wanted Rafa Benitez before Moyes.

Pretty sure nearly any manager would of wanted that job, can hardly get much bigger than United and we are known for longevity with managers. Hope they break that with Moyes if it keeps getting worse though.. I have to say.

Quite, also utterly pointless going to the summer spending all that money with the wrong guy in charge when he can't seem capable of getting the standards required at United, that includes the tactics.

This was always a worry for me, Moyes is not proven at the highest-level, how we can end up with him was beyond me. I know Fergie chose him, but are you telling me there is not other faithful world-class managers out there.

Giving him time is one thing, every team has a barrier they shouldn't go through, even the likes of Swansea have acted.

zzeezzy you re my new hero!

1. No manager is a long term type manager. There's only good managers and **** managers and especially patient clubs/impatient clubs. Bearing in mind that we wanted to be a patient club, any good manager who would produce the goods would end up being "long term". Especially at a club with the history and stature of Utd's.

2. SAF was great, a wizard etc but he's not infallible.

3. Zzeezzy you may be my new hero but I wouldnt want BENITEZ anywhere near UTD! Only manager I dislike more is WENGER.

1. No manager is a long term type manager. There's only good managers and **** managers and especially patient clubs/impatient clubs. Bearing in mind that we wanted to be a patient club, any good manager who would produce the goods would end up being "long term". Especially at a club with the history and stature of Utd's.

2. SAF was great, a wizard etc but he's not infallible.

3. Zzeezzy you may be my new hero but I wouldnt want BENITEZ anywhere near UTD! Only manager I dislike more is WENGER.

I don't like Rafa but he's a ****** good manager. Just kind of pointing out how low-down Moyes was on my list.

Wasn't weird. He just didn't want to talk to them. He was a surly ******* all day, I know, I saw the camera feeds that don't go public.

How can you say that THIS is not weird?!:

1. He responded to a greeting of "good afternoon" from one reporter by simply staring at him

2. He spoke to the broadcast media for just over three minutes before leaving, ignoring a final question completely.

3. On being asked if he could explain why United were 21 points worse off than last season, with basically the same group of players he said: "Well, I was at Everton so I wasn't 21 points worse off. I was at Everton.

"The improvement in the teams in the Premier League has been big. There have been a lot of improvements from sides in the Premier League and obviously we've not done as well as we did last year.
"I think there are certain different reasons for it, I don't think there's any particular one. I think there's a combination of different things - the change of manager being one of them. But lots of other things as well.
"We're trying to see how our results have not been as good as they have been. They should be, and we will continue to look at that. There's no one person or one thing. There are several different things that we'll look to change or alter, but there's no one thing.
"I think the players are doing great. I think I've got a great group of players. I'm very fortunate I took over the champions and I think the players have been terrific."

Moyes was then asked about his tactics in the 2-2 draw with Fulham, that extended to crossing the ball from wide areas with little variation.
"You need to have a football intelligence, a football brain, to understand first of all," he replied.
"I thought only one team came to win. But you [media] watched it, so it was probably a game for you to write how badly Manchester United had done, rather than what the opposition played like."
The United manager was asked if a different club with different fans might have been put him under more pressure.
"I was given a six-year contract because it was a long-term deal," said Moyes. "It was always going to take time. There is rebuilding going on year after year here and we will continue to try to do that.
"The right clubs pick the right managers and the right managers pick the right clubs. You pick clubs where you know it's right for you."

If this is not rambling of the lowest order I dunno what is.

Particular points I could make:

1. His answer about being at Everton last season in answer to why 21 points difference is, frankly stupid and doesnt help him at all. Instead of say comparing the relevant fixtures in the two time periods (would still have been stupid but not AS stupid as his answer), explained that it takes time for a new manager's methods to take hold, that SAF left him a woefully inadequate squad (not entirely correct but still).

2. He keeps doing it but wtf? Whats the logic behind him pointing out repeatedly that the only real difference between last season and this is, well, Moyes? H

3. He seems/reacts/talks like a bullied 10 yo.

4. So he's got a great bunch of players eh? So why has he repeatedly said that squad is not that great and insinuated there will be big changes in the summer. He seems to be saying one thing one time another thing the next .... Also, by saying the players are great he limits the targets for blame to erm, himself!

5. Everton are actually 3 points better off than they were after 25 matches last season (and will be 6 if they beat C Palace in a very winnable match tonight after selling arguably their best player AND playing much better football than last season.

6. And the wisdom of calling stupid anyone who thought that simply crossing 81 times against a Fulham team with tall cbs with little variation is questionable is ...? Im with ENSTEIN on this who said that the definition of craziness is to keep doing the same thing but expect different results.

Last edited:
Back