The Manchester United Thread

No one like that was available last summer tbh. Klopp wouldn't move. Carlo and Jose were available but with their Chelsea ties it was obvious they wouldn't take United job if similar position is open elsewhere. Simeone...unproven at top level. Heyckness retired, Guardiola signed with Bayern, Capello is tied up...who else is there?

Rafa was most likely your best bet and he would probably take the job... but Ferguson had a long-going beef with him and we know how Alex is with grudges.

Look a 1 or 2 pages back, I mentioned Rafa. I think he's a great manager, would of took him.

Liverpool look like there going to win. That's defiantly top 4 gone. We needed to have a real go at arsenal but we sat back and when it did look like we could go forward we looked very slow.

Thought Arsenal were there for the taking tonight, didn't think we played well offensively at all, was very slow and the passing was poor.

Thought Arsenal were there for the taking tonight, didn't think we played well offensively at all, was very slow and the passing was poor.
We would have taken that but for a wonder save. We lacked incisive passing but thats the story of our season. Arsenal were certainly not there for the taking.

Top 4 gone im afraid. Was ****** at the end half a min to go we on the attack the Carrick and Cleverly pass it side was and backwards, no wonder Moyes was screaming at the end on touch line. Thought tactics were good tonight pressing very high and as a team and was solid at the back. Thought Vidic was getting bossed by Giroud in the 1st half but was better in 2nd, was very impressed with Smalling tonight.

Defensively very good.

Attacking wise we wasted it. Hoofed the ball forwards when there was space and time to run into. Not creating opportunities. Giroud and RVP should have scored at least 1 each.

We would have taken that but for a wonder save. We lacked incisive passing but thats the story of our season. Arsenal were certainly not there for the taking.

Arsenal were really average tonight, but then considering how poor we've been I suppose any point is a good one.

Top 4 100% gone.

Another 4-4-2 type formation with mata on wing. What a waste of ?37 million. That's ?64 million ish on 2 players who have made very little impact for different reasons. And the board trust this clown with reported ?100-?200 million in summer. I dread to think who he will sign.

Two players who've played a grand total of 11 games combined and you're calling them a waste of money. Well aren't you the bastion of patience.

Another 4-4-2 type formation with mata on wing. What a waste of ?37 million. That's ?64 million ish on 2 players who have made very little impact for different reasons. And the board trust this clown with reported ?100-?200 million in summer. I dread to think who he will sign.
What are you talking about Mata has 3 assists in 4 games and Fellaini has not been 100% fit since we signed him. If Moyes buys players of Matas class we will be good to go next season.

Spending ?64 million and the players being payed ?100k+ per week, yes I do.

How you can even begin to think of Mata as a waste of money is utterly beyond me. And I'll judge Fellaini when he's fit and settled.

It wasnt even 4-4-2 thats the best bit.

Mata has three assists in 4 games, and has already created 10 chances.

I agree with it. Opps fan have every right to mock United. ****, United fans was mocking pretty much everybody in past 20 years.

Vanjagl posted this in the Liverpool forum. I didn't answer there because even if there's no love between me and Liverpool I won't spam their thread with things irrelevant to them.

His post reminded me of certain similarities between United's current situation and what Boca Juniors suffered not too long ago. After the very successful reign of Carlos Bianchi, the fans were pretty vocal in their claim of being the best club in the country, the continent and maybe even the world. Some turned into major ***** and brought upon them the hatred of pretty much every other football fan in the country. That also made them very demanding and after Bianchi's reign managers who didn't win titles were sacked, some after mere months. This brought two main issues upon them - the first one was turning the dressing room into a very hostile environment for new managers. If managers come and go but a few players stay, they will become very hard to control for the new man in charge. The other issue was the long-term stability of the club, as every manager made some stupid signings to try to win the title, without looking at the up-and-coming youngsters, never mind the club finances.

When they did try to look at the long-term future of the club they brought Julio Cesar Falcioni, a man who, pretty much like Moyes, had enjoyed relative success with a modest side, was a relatively low-profile manager, and wasn't the most handsome man in the dugouts of the Argie top flight. His first tournament was ****, as he inherited an aging squad full of average players, had a hard time keeping hold of the dressing room, and had the fans on his back due to playing less-than-attractive football. In his second championship, however, he was able to bring in some of "his" players and was hugely succesful, clinching the league title undefeated and having a goal difference more than twice the second-best in the league. His following season saw him win the cup and finish runners-up in the Libertadores, while being joint-third in the league.

Regardless of the improved results, the fans never really got off his back and his contract was not renewed. He finished his last season joint fifth, after considerable turmoil with both the board and some players. Bianchi took over for next season, finishing second from bottom, and while his next championship saw some improvement, Boca have been back to being ****.

Well, this ended up being far too long, but in short, what I mean is that you have to give Moyes time to build his squad. Now he might turn out to be **** even after that, and then you'll come here saying "I told you so". But, if he's not given a chance, you might slowly turn into a trigger happy club a la Chelsea, with the added danger of the dressing room descending into anarchy. And if he does succeed, don't hold grudges against him for being **** in his first season, because some times getting a legend back in charge doesn't solve much, either.

Oh and Mata is a wide player by nature, its only in the last 15 months he's been a 10, and only at chelsea. Spain still deploy him out wide. Becasue he actually drifts inside anyway, which is actually where he spend half the game tonight.

What a boring game. The front 4 worked hard and pressed good but offensively they were absolute garbage, slow and uninspired. Arsenal misplaced so many easy passes in the middle opening themselves for a counter and it was all mostly wasted.

Wrong position. He's not a wide player. At Chelsea played in the hole. Player of the season x2.

He's played one season at one club at 10. The rest of his career is wide on the left drifting in, with some stints on right.

What a boring game. The front 4 worked hard and pressed good but offensively they were absolute garbage, slow and uninspired. Arsenal misplaced so many easy passes in the middle opening themselves for a counter and it was all mostly wasted.

Needed a composer in the middle tonight. Scholes would have made hay with that front line :(

Back