The Manchester United Thread

Clearly. The question remains, why are you trying to save the world?

Because its either educate him so the thread doesn't constantly get ruined by his rants that he cant back up, or make him have a time out again. I'm all for for people having different views and stuff. But I draw the line at people knowing what they are talking ***** and repeating it ad inifintum for weeks on end. It just ruins the thread

The thing is: Moyes at Everton actually played in the style that the writer wants in the second one. So he clearly has no idea about how Moyes actually works.

A better article would have been to compare Moyes style at Everton, to Ferguson in the same period, to us now.

These ******* articles man.

I'm sitting here reading them and I am having the god **** time of my life.

EDIT: Just laughed so hard I knocked my yoghurt off my desk. Only spilt a bit of it, so it's less of a mess than those articles.

Last edited:
Okay in all seriousness, that first article is ridiculous.

You're comparing a team with the best midfield in the world - bar none - managed by a manager as dogmatic as Pep Guardiola, the man who popularised the term tiki-taka to the point where it's a near household word. The team you're comparing it to has Darren Fletcher as its second best midfielder.

There's pretty much nothing I need to say past this.

Personally, I get worried that we call Fletcher a "football genius".......

Found it interesting that Woodward was quoted as saying to "expect more than the usual 3 in 3 out at United this season."

Found it interesting that Woodward was quoted as saying to "expect more than the usual 3 in 3 out at United this season."

He is going to have to deliver on those promises though.

He is going to have to deliver on those promises though.

Agreed, also quoted as saying "United will move in the market in a way we haven't seen in recent years"

Personally can't wait for this season to end so the summer can start. Really, really hope we get William Carvalho in the summer. I can't stress how good he is going to be/already is.

Perfect summer for me (at this stage) would be;
IN: Shaw, Benatia, decent cover at RB (maybe someone like Santon?), Carvalho, Kroos, Griezmann
OUT: Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs, Valencia, Hernandez, Anderson, Buttner and Nani if funds are needed.

Get Lingard, Henriquez (who's done pretty well at Zaragoza), Powell and Zaha more involved in the first team. We'll also need cover at LB but apparently Saidy Janko is doing very well so maybe promote him for cover at RB and spend for the LB cover.

Obviously that isn't very realistic but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Agreed, also quoted as saying "United will move in the market in a way we haven't seen in recent years"

Personally can't wait for this season to end so the summer can start. Really, really hope we get William Carvalho in the summer. I can't stress how good he is going to be/already is.

IN: Shaw, Benatia, decent cover at RB (maybe someone like Santon?), Carvalho, Kroos, Griezmann
OUT: Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs, Valencia, Hernandez, Anderson, Buttner and Nani if funds are needed.

Get Lingard, Henriquez (who's done pretty well at Zaragoza), Powell and Zaha more involved in the first team. We'll also need cover at LB but apparently Saidy Janko is doing very well so maybe promote him for cover at RB and spend for the LB cover.

That's a lot of young potentials and maybes you got there, not sure if that's enough to carry the club to CL in the second season.

Shaw, Astori/Benatia (I would spend upto 25m on this guy, seriously), Rakitic/Kroos/Marchisio, Carvalho, Griezmann, Hermann, RB (cant think of one right now keep Evra one last year

Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs, Valencia, Nani, Buttner, Anderson, Hernandez.

Janko is too raw.

That's a lot of young potentials and maybes you got there, not sure if that's enough to carry the club to CL in the second season.

All proven youth though, which is sort of what we need?

Shaw played in PL very well over last 2 seasons, Benatia lost just twice in all of 2013 and doing well with Roma. Carvalho already the best midfielder in Portugal along with Fernando, Kroos is world class and Griezmann is hitting his peak at a smaller club so is definitely gettable.

I'd personally like to keep Evra another year even as backup but it seems like a foregone conclusion that he's off to Monaco in the summer.

Not to sound troll-y, but do you really think Kroos is gettable?

Contract up end of next season. He reportedly wants double the wages they're offering him and wants to be guaranteed his spot in the starting line-up which Pep isn't willing to give him.

If he is serious about his demands, we can definitely offer him all of that. We just have to convince him that this season is a blip and UCL football will return sooner rather than later.

Wouldn't be banking on the signing, but wouldn't rule it out.

Not to sound troll-y, but do you really think Kroos is gettable?

I'd say its a possibility, but with a lot of IFs along the way. If they win another Treble, I can't imagine him (or anyone in their right mind) forcing out a transfer.

A question I'm curious about..

If you can sign one player in defence, midfield and attack who do you sign? (with realistic options only, so don't say Ronaldo/Messi etc)

I'd have to go with Shaw, Kroos and not sure on the striker but I'd be tempted to take a punt on Saido Berahino ahead of Hernandez. Looks a natural goalscorer and has more about him than just poaching goals, probably because I can't think of any good young poachers about right now.

Not sure why people use some excuses like even Fergie did that, Fergie played Park in the midfield, Fergie relied on the wings more.

You know what? He was a genius and made it work. He played Rafael and Fabio, O'shea in the midfield against Arsenal and still won the game, he was on another level. He played Park in the midfield many times and because of that we saw one of the best performance from anyone against Pirlo when he could even make 30 passes in a game. It misfired one time but he had success lot of time.

Also Fergie not spending on the ageing squad? Maybe he left the money for the new manager? Or maybe he was happy with the squad he had which averaged 89 points every season?

If people compare Moyes to what Fergie did then they should also consider the points Fergie won us. So leave Fergie out and judge Moyes alone. It won't do any good if Fergie is brought into the equation.

A question I'm curious about..

If you can sign one player in defence, midfield and attack who do you sign? (with realistic options only, so don't say Ronaldo/Messi etc)

I'd have to go with Shaw, Kroos and not sure on the striker but I'd be tempted to take a punt on Saido Berahino ahead of Hernandez. Looks a natural goalscorer and has more about him than just poaching goals, probably because I can't think of any good young poachers about right now.

Defense: Coentrao
Midfield: Not sure either Kroos or Vidal are realistic but have some hopes on Kroos as he is one of the lowest paid player in their squad. So Kroos
Attack: If this is wingers or strikers then Pass, Will buy another midfielder as RVP, Rooney, Kagawa, Mata, Januzaj and Nani is a class attack along with Welbeck.

Edit: To add to my earlier post, no way this team is as bad as everyone is making out. It's easily good enough to beat Everton, Newcastle, WBA, Southampton at home or at least good enough to score a goal against Everton and Newcastle at home.

I think Joel pointed out we didn't attack stronger teams away from home, I would yes but we played counter attacking game and scored enough goals.
3 goals at Stamford bridge
3 goals at Ethihad
2 goals at Anfield
Only 1 min away from winning at Spurs
3 goals at Newcastle.

1 player can't make the difference, RVP scored the goals but most of the players played well too. Even without RVP we made 89 points season before and won league with 9 points gap when Rooney missed half a season.

Last edited:
Back