The Manchester United Thread

You need to understand that four images to cover 90 minutes is utterly ******* laughable. I bet if you gave me the game footage I could make United look more of a short passing team than Bayern. They're completely cherry picked.

It's not that we lost - I'm sure most United fans are used to that now.
It's not that we lost at home - we're used to it by now.
It's not even that we drawn against Fulham - we (if not I) was expecting it.

It's simply the fact that for moments in the first half we were simply long-balling it. AGAINST FULHAM AT HOME. WITH MATA, ROONEY AND RVP ON THE PITCH.

Moyes doesn't seem to have a plan B or even a plan A for that matter. The sooner we face facts is for the better.

Young ahead of Januzaj, Smalling ahead of Jones. Van Persie and Rooney totally cut off from the team, the majority of the time.

It's simply the fact that for moments in the first half we were simply long-balling it. AGAINST FULHAM AT HOME. WITH MATA, ROONEY AND RVP ON THE PITCH.

Moyes doesn't seem to have a plan B or even a plan A for that matter. The sooner we face facts is for the better.

Young ahead of Januzaj, Smalling ahead of Jones. Van Persie and Rooney totally cut off from the team, the majority of the time.

Jones is injured. Young was used to try and get pace in behind their lines. Rooney is the one who needed to be more disciplined, instead of bombing up alongside RVP. Rooney needs to stop doing this and sit in the pocket.

The Fulham game isn't even symptomatic of our season. Only a complete moron uses that one freak game to sum up out player.

Moyes does have a plan A. But you just ignore the fact that significant parts of the side prevent us from doing it. I'd argue we would be better off in term of cohesion dropping one of Rooney or RVP, if Rooney keeps pushing up alongside him. You just jump from random point to random point, essentially revolving around Fulham.

Last edited:
Jones is injured. Young was used to try and get pace in behind their lines. Rooney is the one who needed to be more disciplined, instead of bombing up alongside RVP. Rooney needs to stop doing this and sit in the pocket.

The Fulham game isn't even symptomatic of our season. Only a complete moron uses that one freak game to sum up out player.

Moyes does have a plan A. But you just ignore the fact that significant parts of the side prevent us from doing it. I'd argue we would be better off in term of cohesion dropping one of Rooney or RVP, if Rooney keeps pushing up alongside him. You just jump from random point to random point, essentially revolving around Fulham.

I agree, I mentioned earlier on reply to Vanjagl that as good as he is... on his day... Rooney's divine right to play annoys me. I'd like to see Kagawa, Januzaj and Mata as the front 3. Now that would be tasty and expressive.

I agree, I mentioned earlier on reply to Vanjagl that as good as he is... on his day... Rooney's divine right to play annoys me. I'd like to see Kagawa, Januzaj and Mata as the front 3. Now that would be tasty and expressive.

And incredibly lightweight. Need powerful mids behind it. Which means getting Fellaini fit, and playing at his best again. You see how one knocks onto the other? For a side to gel, all your parts must be playing together, we keep losing key bits all the time.

And incredibly lightweight. Need powerful mids behind it. Which means getting Fellaini fit, and playing at his best again. You see how one knocks onto the other? For a side to gel, all your parts must be playing together, we keep losing key bits all the time.

We need a spark from somewhere, it's just not happening at the moment, sometimes taking a risk can be a good thing.

Jones/Fellaini with Carrick behind those 3 I mentioned with RVP up front would be a good thing to try, in all honesty we have nothing to lose now. Even trying Kagawa as a dynamic CM along-side a Carrick isn't a bad shout either. There were some whispers saying Kagawa has been training as a CM, dunno how true they are. Think I seen it on RedCafe somewhere.

Crystal Palace next.... not confident one bit, I think Tony P will be relishing this one.

We need a spark from somewhere, it's just not happening at the moment, sometimes taking a risk can be a good thing.

Jones/Fellaini with Carrick behind those 3 I mentioned with RVP up front would be a good thing to try, in all honesty we have nothing to lose now. Even trying Kagawa as a dynamic CM along-side a Carrick isn't a bad shout either. There were some whispers saying Kagawa has been training as a CM, dunno how true they are. Think I seen it on RedCafe somewhere.

Crystal Palace next.... not confident one bit, I think Tony P will be relishing this one.

No, Jones MUST start playing at Centre back, Vidic is gone in the summer.

It's not a case of trying with Fellaini, its actually what he wants to do, but he's played about 8 games for us, 5 of those while nusring injury.

Um. K.

Don't really care about that, all I was saying was that article was ******* laughable. Which it was, regardless of whether it accidentally stumbled onto the truth or not.

You know what? I think with the kind of shape your squad is currently in, 7th is honestly about right.

Your midfield is truly awful. My Palace team have a more synergised duo in Ledley and Jedinak than you do in Carrick and Cleverley. Passer-runner worked fine when Rooney used to drop so deep to help out in defence, but now he's devoting more of his energies to attacking it's getting more and more fragile.

You're deservedly below the top four. City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool all have better teams than United by quite a margin. Spurs do too, now that Adebayor's hitting form. Everton are the only ones that have a squad weaker than United's, and they're in 6th anyway

And this very awful midfield and weaker squad than all top teams win league by quiet a margin. Not sure Fergie was worth 30 points himself.

We have average midfield but still it's better than most midfield in the league. The way we played this season we deserve no more than 7th but that's down to Moyes more than the squad.

Think you play too much FM zzeezzy with your analgies and potential united lineups or fifa yeah definetly fifa ;)

And this very awful midfield and weaker squad than all top teams win league by quiet a margin. Not sure Fergie was worth 30 points himself.

I honestly think he was.

Not to mention that all the other teams strengthened significantly in the same kind of time period. City brought in Fernandinho to finally upgrade their weakest link and Negredo for more firepower up front, Chelsea brought in more rotational players, upgraded significantly in midfield with Matic and critically bought a striker who can actually score in Eto'o, Arsenal brought in Oezil which, quite apart from his impact on the pitch, galvanised the club massively, and Liverpool signed a solid keeper in Mignolet and a couple of centre-backs to solidify their backline.

In that same period, United signed Fellaini, a flop so far, and Juan Mata, who strengthened an area of strength.

Even if Ferguson wasn't worth 30 points, that disparity in investment, coupled with turbulence from Ferguson leaving, injuries and plain bad luck AND lacking Ferguson himself is definitely worth 30 points. I think now is really the time where we should be appreciating Ferguson's magnificence all the more. He was a god **** wizard at motivating and pushing a relatively mediocre squad.

We have average midfield but still it's better than most midfield in the league. The way we played this season we deserve no more than 7th but that's down to Moyes more than the squad.

It's better than most midfields in the league, but only just, and only in terms of pure quality on paper. Note I didn't say Palace's central midfield duo was flat out BETTER than United, it just works so much better in terms of synergy. For the last two or so years, United's central midfield duo have been reasonably effective rather than dominating, and only when shielded by Rooney and hard runners around them. When it came up against top class opposition, it mostly got destroyed.

Who it's down to is up for debate, but as much as it's Moyes fault, it's also the players'. Big names haven't stepped up - Ferdinand, Fellaini, Young, Giggs, Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani have all ranged between mediocre and bad when they've played - and Moyes can't be faulted for everything.

What people in this thread seem to refuse to believe is that this season has been a shade of grey for United, not black or white. It's been a COMBINATION of factors that have led to these poor performances, not just ALL MOYES or ALL THE PLAYERS.

As a side note, long may this chaos continue, because I'm actually planning on going mental if Palace *** rape you all in the next round of games. FEAR THE 'MAKH

As a side note, long may this chaos continue, because I'm actually planning on going mental if Palace *** rape you all in the next round of games. FEAR THE 'MAKH

I know this is a bit off-topic but how well has Tony P done for your boys. Really has done a fantastic job, admittedly not over this season but he's really turned it round.

I honestly think he was.

Not to mention that all the other teams strengthened significantly in the same kind of time period. City brought in Fernandinho to finally upgrade their weakest link and Negredo for more firepower up front, Chelsea brought in more rotational players, upgraded significantly in midfield with Matic and critically bought a striker who can actually score in Eto'o, Arsenal brought in Oezil which, quite apart from his impact on the pitch, galvanised the club massively, and Liverpool signed a solid keeper in Mignolet and a couple of centre-backs to solidify their backline.

In that same period, United signed Fellaini, a flop so far, and Juan Mata, who strengthened an area of strength.

In short ManUtd spent 64 Million on Champions squad and made weaker themselves. Moyes paid 27 Million for Fellaini which is almost same as what City paid to sign Fernandinho.

Arsenal signed Ozil which galvanized the team but why didn't same happen when ManUtd signed player of similar quality?

Liverpool signed Mignolet to replace a quality keeper in Reina. They haven't improved massively, I mean the signings.

If rumors are true then Moyes rejected Strootman and thiago which was a shocking decision.

Even if Ferguson wasn't worth 30 points, that disparity in investment, coupled with turbulence from Ferguson leaving, injuries and plain bad luck AND lacking Ferguson himself is definitely worth 30 points. I think now is really the time where we should be appreciating Ferguson's magnificence all the more. He was a god **** wizard at motivating and pushing a relatively mediocre squad.

One of the reason why I always insist on not bringing him in debates saying Well Fergie ignored midfield for 4 years, he played park in midfield. You know why? Because he can and still get results.

Benefit of doubt to Moyes though as he wanted to study all the players closely before making a move in the market which is very good thing to do. So lack of signing or strengthening was not because of funds, it was by his choice.

It's better than most midfields in the league, but only just, and only in terms of pure quality on paper. Note I didn't say Palace's central midfield duo was flat out BETTER than United, it just works so much better in terms of synergy. For the last two or so years, United's central midfield duo have been reasonably effective rather than dominating, and only when shielded by Rooney and hard runners around them. When it came up against top class opposition, it mostly got destroyed.

And this season it's been destroyed by every team. Cleverley said he was asked to play restricted role, at least from what we have seen this season Moyes is not a fan of expansive football.

Who it's down to is up for debate, but as much as it's Moyes fault, it's also the players'. Big names haven't stepped up - Ferdinand, Fellaini, Young, Giggs, Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani have all ranged between mediocre and bad when they've played - and Moyes can't be faulted for everything.

What people in this thread seem to refuse to believe is that this season has been a shade of grey for United, not black or white. It's been a COMBINATION of factors that have led to these poor performances, not just ALL MOYES or ALL THE PLAYERS.

I agree and I made this point few weeks back. Players deserves blame too for halfhearted performances but IMO it's manager's duty to get the best out of them.

And that's one the reason why I said I will judge him in the next season as he will have enough time to replace all the half arsed players and get his own but this season has been a failure considering he took over Champions squad and fighting for 7th spot after spending 64 Million on 2 players.

I know this is a bit off-topic but how well has Tony P done for your boys. Really has done a fantastic job, admittedly not over this season but he's really turned it round.

Amazing, innit. He's the absolute best manager for this kind of situation.

In short ManUtd spent 64 Million on Champions squad and made weaker themselves. Moyes paid 27 Million for Fellaini which is almost same as what City paid to sign Fernandinho.

Not quite made themselves weaker, but got weaker in comparison to others. Transfers aren't all down to Moyes, remember, particularly not the fees.

Arsenal signed Ozil which galvanized the team but why didn't same happen when ManUtd signed player of similar quality?

Because United are used to signing top class players. Arsenal, on the other hand, have spent the past 6 or so years raffling off their best players and then nurturing through youth to replace them. Them signing Oezil was utterly unprecedented, whereas Mata moving to United was merely an excellent move for United.

Liverpool signed Mignolet to replace a quality keeper in Reina. They haven't improved massively, I mean the signings.

Yeah Liverpool are an interesting one. I still hold that the signings of Kolo Toure and Mignolet have improved them quite a bit despite being only minor upgrades, but most of their improvement has been through squad harmony and keeping key players fit. It's been the first time that they've had Lucas - an amazing player - fit for an extended period of time for a while, and with Suarez staying, Sterling breaking through, Sturridge improving massively and Gerrard as good as ever their improvement has been more organic than most.

If rumors are true then Moyes rejected Strootman and thiago which was a shocking decision.

Undeniable. Though I'm not sure the Strootman rumour was right. Regardless, if he didn't even try for Thiago that's silly of him, despite the fact that Thiago would probably have turned him down for Bayern anyway.

One of the reason why I always insist on not bringing him in debates saying Well Fergie ignored midfield for 4 years, he played park in midfield. You know why? Because he can and still get results.

Benefit of doubt to Moyes though as he wanted to study all the players closely before making a move in the market which is very good thing to do. So lack of signing or strengthening was not because of funds, it was by his choice.

Hey, we mustn't downplay Park! He was a great player in his pomp.

Thing is about Moyes, he did everything right in the transfer market, wasn't rushed, examined players, got advice from his new staff and then... he and Woodward did nothing. That's certainly one big criticism that's fair.

And this season it's been destroyed by every team. Cleverley said he was asked to play restricted role, at least from what we have seen this season Moyes is not a fan of expansive football.

To be fair to Moyes, Cleverley isn't very good when he tries to play expansively. He's at his best when he's constant motion, one-twos up and down the pitch and spreading play with short passes. He's more static this season than I'd like, but I'd say he's done alright really.

I agree and I made this point few weeks back. Players deserves blame too for halfhearted performances but IMO it's manager's duty to get the best out of them.

And that's one the reason why I said I will judge him in the next season as he will have enough time to replace all the half arsed players and get his own but this season has been a failure considering he took over Champions squad and fighting for 7th spot after spending 64 Million on 2 players.

Oh, a complete failure, indeed.

The players deserve blame, so does Moyes, and so does Ed Woodward. Nobody's coming out of this season covered in glory other than maybe David De Gea, Janujaz and Rooney.

This so much.

Whilst it is obvious that there has been problems this season undoubtedly which aren't due to Moyes. My main issue is that I still don't think he's the right man, that's why I would in an ideal world like to go in to next season with the right one.

Obviously we all know this won't happen as Moyes will get another season at least I'd imagine.

Whilst it is obvious that there has been problems this season undoubtedly which aren't due to Moyes. My main issue is that I still don't think he's the right man, that's why I would in an ideal world like to go in to next season with the right one.

Obviously we all know this won't happen as Moyes will get another season at least I'd imagine.

Who is the right one?

Back