The Manchester United Thread

No ... He will be 30 and no major club will take him and his astronomical wages then. Especially when you consider he will be nearing the end of his prime as well. He may be ambitious but fact remains that even if he pushes for a move, no club will take him unless he takes a major wage cut barring Chelsea

Since when is 30 "nearing the end of your prime"? He'll also most likely become an excellent midfielder for a few years after his prime as a forward.

Pretty sure you can't state as a fact which team is gonna want which forward in 18 months time. It is fact that he's being kept up to date with our transfer plans, has been sceptical about our ambition and has held off negotiations until now.

If I was Moyes, I would just let Rooney rot for another two years on his contract. By the time it finishes, he will be 30 and no major club will take him and his wages then and United have him through his prime anyways ... Giving him a new contract on higher wages as well is effectively just sucking his ****

Yeah, thats arguably the stupidest choice he could make. Rooney would simply by out his contract and walk off. This isn't Football Manager.

Actually that's not arguably. That is the single stupidest thing he or anyone could do.

Since when is 30 "nearing the end of your prime"? He'll also most likely become an excellent midfielder for a few years after his prime as a forward.

Pretty sure you can't state as a fact which team is gonna want which forward in 18 months time. It is fact that he's being kept up to date with our transfer plans, has been sceptical about our ambition and has held off negotiations until now.

I mean its been a bug bear of his for 2 years. But sure lets ignore that.

Well, best in the league doesn't necessarily means world beater. He's good player and age is on his side, but he's not that 'special'. Yea, Janko is owning in reserves. I would say his power and speed are matching Lukaku's when he was 18 yo.

Not sure what's your point about Rafael tbh. No one called him special or once in a generation player, just that he is a very good RB and we have few very good RB talents in the club.

This whole debate misses one hugely key aspect: Rooney and Moyes actually like each other, put their differences behind them and actually get on.

Well in Football manager player's stats starts declining once they hit 30.

Not sure what's your point about Rafael tbh. No one called him special or once in a generation player, just that he is a very good RB and we have few very good RB talents in the club.
Point is he's good. Nothing else. No where near Dani Alves or Lahm.

No ... He will be 30 and no major club will take him and his astronomical wages then. Especially when you consider he will be nearing the end of his prime as well. He may be ambitious but fact remains that even if he pushes for a move, no club will take him unless he takes a major wage cut barring Chelsea

PSG and Milan paid huge wages to Ibra when he was 30. I'm sure almost all clubs will offer him astronomical wages if he is available on free transfer.

Well in Football manager player's stats starts declining once they hit 30.
Physical and couple of mental (work rate and for some reason bravery). However technical attributes bloom in early 30's.

Physical and couple of mental (work rate and for some reason bravery). However technical attributes bloom in early 30's.

Yeah but his physical attributes decline so fast and I'm sure Rooney won't be able to move in a year or 2. His decline has started.

Yeah but his physical attributes decline so fast and I'm sure Rooney won't be able to move in a year or 2. His decline has started.
Well, attribute that decline the most is pace and acceleration. Since they occupy large portion of CA he'll have space to improve his technical side of game. Too bad he's injury prone and inconsistent.

I'm sure no one said that he is as good as them at least now.
Pointless discussion since I don't have way to explain my thoughts. Pretty sure most United fans overrate him though.

Rooney could always come back to Everton. What's the point in playing for a team that's happy to sit in mid-table? :P

PSG and Milan paid huge wages to Ibra when he was 30. I'm sure almost all clubs will offer him astronomical wages if he is available on free transfer.

Except that none of the major clubs actually need him at the moment ... PSG have a metric fuckload of attacking talent, Chelsea have a strict transfer policy that will never sanction such huge wages for a 30 year-old, the Milan clubs have wayyy bigger problems at the moment, Madrid perhaps but unlikely and Barcelona probably not

Yeah well neither can you state as a fact that some team might magically want him and his huge wages to boot in 18 months time. My point is that it's unlikely that a team will pay such wages for a 30 year-old especially as the FFP will be well and truly underway. And let's face it, Rooney the midfielder is not with 300k p/w in any world whereas Rooney the striker is

I mean its been a bug bear of his for 2 years. But sure lets ignore that.

Okay let's say he actually pushes for a move ... Where will he go exactly? Only Chelsea will want him in the summer and he is smart enough to realise that United wont sell. Rooney has no choice but to sign a new contract ... It's either that or he takes he risk of becoming a free agent and hoping that a major club needs and wants him and his astronomical wages in 18 months time when he is 30 in the FFP era

Yeah well neither can you state as a fact that some team might magically want him and his huge wages to boot in 18 months time. My point is that it's unlikely that a team will pay such wages for a 30 year-old especially as the FFP will be well and truly underway. And let's face it, Rooney the midfielder is not with 300k p/w in any world whereas Rooney the striker is

I didn't say it was a fact.

Oh, so now you think he is worth it? Because when you were in your Mata meltdown phase you went on for days how you would never, ever pay Rooney ?300k. And by the time he's at the midfield stage, he'll be taking a new contract worth less.

Paying someone ?250k pw to do nothing makes so much economic sense.

The point is that there's no player similar to Rooney, we can easily afford to pay him it and having someone like him tied down makes us more appealing to players next year

You are paying him 250k p/w now and he is performing like a beast ... Why pay him more money? He earns enough as it is, his attitude of the pitch isn't exactly Jesus-like and he has caused you more than his fair share of problems in the past. United hold all the cards when it comes to the transfer market. Why try and appease that idiot? Send him a message that he either shuts up and performs or he can **** off when he is 30 and it's unlikely that a major club will take him

And let's be fair, no club in the EPL at least will take him when he is 30. Ambramovich won't sanction such a move. City won't need him if their strike force stays intact and let's face it, even if it doesn't their are cheaper and more younger options around

I didn't say it was a fact.

Oh, so now you think he is worth it? Because when you were in your Mata meltdown phase you went on for days how you would never, ever pay Rooney ?300k. And by the time he's at the midfield stage, he'll be taking a new contract worth less.

I was saying it from a Chelsea perspective ... Their is no financial sense in Chelsea paying Rooney 300k p/w for five years because we are toeing the line when it comes to FFP as it is. Either way I don't see what it has to do with the issue at hand

Back