The Manchester United Thread

The logic of taking a player and making him unhappy to the point he buys his contract out in the summer and joins your major rival, vs trying him down for the rest of his career fails utterly.

Rooney vs Moyes isnt Rooney vs Ferguson. Though I'm hugely touched a Chelsea fan suddenly care so much about whatever symbolic message it might send out about United.

So you admit that it would send out the wrong message?

Also is there any player in their peak who would sign a contract without getting a hike, delusion IMO to even think a player of Rooney's caliber would just sign extension without getting good pay rise.

Even if they earn more than enough as it is?

Even at the cost of showing everyone that you have been dicked over by him and his agent again? The pay rise isn't so much a practical concern as it is a symbolic one. Why give a pay rise to someone who hasnt shown a shred of loyalty to United as recently as last summer? Why not just send a message that the club won't keep giving into Rooney and his ****** of a agent?

The time to send that message was in 2010. Doing it now would just be shooting ourselves in the foot to save face. I think the message that we'll carry on signing and retaining world class players at great expense is more significant considering the summer we have incoming.

In short:

Pros:
We keep Rooney
We keep his commercial ability
Chelsea don't sign him
He makes us more attractive to other world class players next summer

Cons:
Incredibly well paid player gets paid a bit more
Whatever your argument is

Orrrrr he realises that even if he pushes for a move, he probably won't get one and so he rather sign a bumper new contract. As I said initially, Rooney is a smart guy. He doesn't exactly have a plethora of options

Rooney have bought his contract out and gone to Chelsea in the summer. If you think Jose wouldn't have picked him up, you're being silly.

The logic of taking a player and making him unhappy to the point he buys his contract out in the summer and joins your major rival, vs trying him down for the rest of his career fails utterly.

Isnt there some gentlemans agreement between clubs that they won't take players who buy out their contracts? Think Sunil was the one who mentioned it ... I don't know how much it will work anyways

So you admit that it would send out the wrong message?

Even if they earn more than enough as it is?

It doesnt send out the wrong message, I just find it hilarious how concerned you are that it suddenly does. But then I live in the real world which is full of compromise and not fantasy stands of principle.

And clearly we don't want unhappy Rooney playing for us that too in the tough times like this.

IMO this is clearly a non sense debate, with no point at all.

Best player at the club is signing extension and is getting pay rise. Which also means player will spend all his best years for ManUtd.

The time to send that message was in 2010. Doing it now would just be shooting ourselves in the foot to save face. I think the message that we'll carry on signing and retaining world class players at great expense is more significant considering the summer we have incoming.

In short:

Pros:
We keep Rooney
We keep his commercial ability
Chelsea don't sign him
He makes us more attractive to other world class players next summer

Cons:
Incredibly well paid player gets paid a bit more
Whatever your argument is

And you are missing the point ... Ambramovich will not sanction a move for Rooney and his huge wages in the summer of 2015 due to the FFP. Rooney will likely have to move abroad where he will be well out of United's way. Even if you don't give him a new contract, you will still retain him in the summer making yourself more attractive to whatever targets you fancy

It doesnt send out the wrong message, I just find it hilarious how concerned you are that it suddenly does. But then I live in the real world which is full of compromise and not fantasy stands of principle.

Oh believe me I am not concerned at all ... I am merely pointing out that United would be better served not giving him a pay rise

And you are missing the point ... Ambramovich will not sanction a move for Rooney and his huge wages in the summer of 2015 due to the FFP. Rooney will likely have to move abroad where he will be well out of United's way. Even if you don't give him a new contract, you will still retain him in the summer making yourself more attractive to whatever targets you fancy

Lets not kid yourself here. He **** well would if Chelsea could match it. Which they could by letting another high earner go. Like Torres, on 170k

What is more than enough?

All footballers earns more than enough.

250k p/w is pretty decent money. He doesn't need to be paid more than that ... Interestingly, what's to stop future signings demanding higher wages before signing for United after they see the kind of money Rooney is on?

Oh believe me I am not concerned at all ... I am merely pointing out that United would be better served not giving him a pay rise

And your point has been summarily ripped apart by the above. Moving on.

250k p/w is pretty decent money. He doesn't need to be paid more than that ... Interestingly, what's to stop future signings demanding higher wages before signing for United after they see the kind of money Rooney is on?

The fact that they wont get it? Because they are not ranked in the heirarchy? Players arent stupid.

Lets not kid yourself here. He **** well would if Chelsea could match it. Which they could by letting another high earner go. Like Torres, on 170k

He wouldn't. Ambramovich had a strict policy of offering one year contracts to any player above 30 and it doesn't even change for a player like Terry. If it doesn't bend for a club legend when why would it bend for Rooney? That's why I was under the assumption that Chelsea would simply match Rooney's wages for 2-3 years if they signed him in the summer

He wouldn't. Ambramovich had a strict policy of offering one year contracts to any player above 30 and it doesn't even change for a player like Terry. If it doesn't bend for a club legend when why would it bend for Rooney? That's why I was under the assumption that Chelsea would simply match Rooney's wages for 2-3 years if they signed him in the summer

Rooney isnt 30 this summer. So that's moot. RA would simply have sold Torres to pay for Rooney.

The fact that they wont get it? Because they are not ranked in the heirarchy? Players arent stupid.

Yeah well it's not like United will be the only option for a world-class players like Kroos ... They will look at Rooney's new contract and demand more themselves. If they don't, they have bullshit agents

Yeah well it's not like United will be the only option for a world-class players like Kroos ... They will look at Rooney's new contract and demand more themselves. If they don't, they have bullshit agents

And we can pay Kroos that. Doesn't mean you are going to pay every single player that. Think this through, that's why a wage heirarchy exists.

Torres + Ba + Eto'o would free up ?300k+

Back