The Manchester United Thread

You are paying him 250k p/w now and he is performing like a beast ... Why pay him more money? He earns enough as it is, his attitude of the pitch isn't exactly Jesus-like and he has caused you more than his fair share of problems in the past. United hold all the cards when it comes to the transfer market. Why try and appease that idiot? Send him a message that he either shuts up and performs or he can **** off when he is 30 and it's unlikely that a major club will take him

And let's be fair, no club in the EPL at least will take him when he is 30. Ambramovich won't sanction such a move. City won't need him if their strike force stays intact and let's face it, even if it doesn't their are cheaper and more younger options around

How do we hold all the cards when the club most likely to buy him is Chelsea, who we absolutely won't sell to?

How do we hold all the cards when the club most likely to buy him is Chelsea, who we absolutely won't sell to?

Exactly ... Even if he is unhappy and pushes for a move in the summer because he didn't get a new contract, the only club who will take him at the moment is Chelsea whom you have no need to sell to. He probably realises this by now as well. Rooney and Stretford probably couldn't believe their luck when they found out that United are giving him a new contract with a pay rise to boot

I was saying it from a Chelsea perspective ... Their is no financial sense in Chelsea paying Rooney 300k p/w for five years because we are toeing the line when it comes to FFP as it is. Either way I don't see what it has to do with the issue at hand

Because if you don't think that Rooney was getting a pay rise on whatever contract he signed next, you're ill equipped in this discussion.

Exactly ... Even if he is unhappy and pushes for a move in the summer because he didn't get a new contract, the only club who will take him at the moment is Chelsea whom you have no need to sell to. He probably realises this by now as well. Rooney and Stretford probably couldn't believe their luck when they found out that United are giving him a new contract with a pay rise to boot

You do realise it's got **** all to with luck, right.

Therefore it's the best solution for all parties. We keep our best player. Rooney gets paid more. Manchester wins, Chelsea lose.

I really fail to see what point you're making.

Because if you don't think that Rooney was getting a pay rise on whatever contract he signed next, you're ill equipped in this discussion.

Exactly and it wouldn't have made financial sense from Chelsea's part to pay him 300k p/w over five years, the whole reason I supported the Rooney deal was because I was under the assumption that he would simply match his wages for the next 2-3 years

You do realise it's got **** all to with luck, right.

What?

Exactly and it wouldn't have made financial sense from Chelsea's part to pay him 300k p/w over five years, the whole reason I supported the Rooney deal was because I was under the assumption that he would simply match his wages for the next 2-3 years

What?

Please. ?50k is a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. You're just back peddling after your insistence Chelsea would never, ever sell us Mata without Rooney going the other way.

Therefore it's the best solution for all parties. We keep our best player. Rooney gets paid more. Manchester wins, Chelsea lose.

I really fail to see what point you're making.

The point I am making is this. Why are United giving into Rooney when they hold all the cards? Give him a new contract by all means but why the pay rise? If that makes him unhappy, let him be unhappy. He can push for a move but no one will take him bar Chelsea whom United wont sell to. He can run down his contract and become a free agent but then Chelsea will likely not want him by then. He will have to go abroad where he will be well out of United's way

Please. ?50k is a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. You're just back peddling after your insistence Chelsea would never, ever sell us Mata without Rooney going the other way.

Read again. I mention clearly that i thought Chelsea would match his wages for just 2-3 years. 50k p/w over the first 2-3 years is a drop in ocean. Not 300k p/w over the subsequent couple of years

Oh and face it dude, I had every reason to believe Mata wont be sold unless Rooney goes the other way. It's still a rather absurd transfer

The point I am making is this. Why are United giving into Rooney when they hold all the cards? Give him a new contract by all means but why the pay rise? If that makes him unhappy, let him be unhappy. He can push for a move but no one will take him bar Chelsea whom United wont sell to. He can run down his contract and become a free agent but then Chelsea will likely not want him by then. He will have to go abroad where he will be well out of United's way

Because we'd rather Wayne Rooney be playing for United and be playing well, than playing abroad?

Rooney also makes us a metric **** ton commercially since he's with Nike too.

But, but.. it doesn't make sense to sell Mata to United without Rooney... but... Jose... why :(

Except that none of the major clubs actually need him at the moment ... PSG have a metric fuckload of attacking talent, Chelsea have a strict transfer policy that will never sanction such huge wages for a 30 year-old, the Milan clubs have wayyy bigger problems at the moment, Madrid perhaps but unlikely and Barcelona probably not

Yes, clubs won't be signing one of the best player in the world when he is available on free, not to forget likes of City wont be paying him at all.

Never heard of this Chelsea's strict transfer policy, looks like something that was started by some blogger on internet.

Read again. I mention clearly that i thought Chelsea would match his wages for just 2-3 years. 50k p/w over the first 2-3 years is a drop in ocean. Not 300k p/w over the subsequent couple of years

Oh and face it dude, I had every reason to believe Mata wont be sold unless Rooney goes the other way. It's still a rather absurd transfer

Lol. Believe what you like. If we had sold Rooney in the summer, and Chelsea had given him ?300k, you wouldn't have given a single **** as soon as he scored his first goal.

Utterly, utterly stupid thinking. The whole point is that Moyes likes Rooney, wants Rooney to stay. Rooney wants to be paid the best, and more importantly wants the club be a lot more ambitious. Rooney gets a pay rise, Moyes gets the world class player he wants ( to arguably retire at the club). Everyone gets what they want.

Because we'd rather Wayne Rooney be playing for United and be playing well, than playing abroad?

Even at the cost of showing everyone that you have been dicked over by him and his agent again? The pay rise isn't so much a practical concern as it is a symbolic one. Why give a pay rise to someone who hasnt shown a shred of loyalty to United as recently as last summer? Why not just send a message that the club won't keep giving into Rooney and his ****** of a agent?

Indeed, he is by far the biggest shirt seller. It also sends out a massive message. Not in the CL, still got Rooney and Mata. More importantly , it means whatever issues he has about transfers are seemingly allayed, which is good in the long run.

Lol. Believe what you like. If we had sold Rooney in the summer, and Chelsea had given him ?300k, you wouldn't have given a single **** as soon as he scored his first goal.

As would any other fan ... Doesn't make the deal any better

Even at the cost of showing everyone that you have been dicked over by him and his agent again? The pay rise isn't so much a practical concern as it is a symbolic one. Why give a pay rise to someone who hasnt shown a shred of loyalty to United as recently as last summer? Why not just send a message that the club won't keep giving into Rooney and his ****** of a agent?

Rooney vs Moyes isnt Rooney vs Ferguson. Though I'm hugely touched a Chelsea fan suddenly care so much about whatever symbolic message it might send out about United.

Rooney vs Moyes isnt Rooney vs Ferguson. Though I'm hugely touched a Chelsea fan suddenly cares so much about whatever symbolic message it might send out about United.

Also is there any player in their peak who would sign a contract without getting a hike, delusion IMO to even think a player of Rooney's caliber would just sign extension without getting good pay rise.

Indeed, he is by far the biggest shirt seller. It also sends out a massive message. Not in the CL, still got Rooney and Mata. More importantly , it means whatever issues he has about transfers are seemingly allayed, which is good in the long run.

Orrrrr he realises that even if he pushes for a move, he probably won't get one and so he rather sign a bumper new contract. As I said initially, Rooney is a smart guy. He doesn't exactly have a plethora of options

Back