The Manchester United Thread

And we can pay Kroos that. Doesn't mean you are going to pay every single player that. Think this through, that's why a wage heirarchy exists.

Yes I agree with you but any potential star signing will demand more after seeing how much United are paying Rooney. A player who hasn't exactly been an angel

Torres + Ba + Eto'o would free up ?300k+

Thats besides the point ... We can pay Rooney 500k p/w but RA has put in strict financial polices to help the club comply with the FFP. That includes giving only one year contracts to players above 30 which is what Rooney will be if he becomes a free agent in 2015. Hence, why their is no chance that Chelsea will pick him up in 2015

Yes I agree with you but any potential star signing will demand more after seeing how much United are paying Rooney. A player who hasn't exactly been an angel

Thats besides the point ... We can pay Rooney 500k p/w but RA has put in strict financial polices to help the club comply with the FFP. That includes giving only one year contracts to players above 30 which is what Rooney will be if he becomes a free agent in 2015. Hence, why their is no chance that Chelsea will pick him up in 2015

He'd be 29. And we're not in 2015. We're at the start of 2014. You're arguing that Rooney isn't worth ?300k pw right no, and that you wouldn't have taken him last summer at Chelsea at that wage. You're either lying or being extremely naive.

Thats besides the point ... We can pay Rooney 500k p/w but RA has put in strict financial polices to help the club comply with the FFP. That includes giving only one year contracts to players above 30 which is what Rooney will be if he becomes a free agent in 2015

It would hardly change their demands. Rooney has been here 10 years, has been key in so many trophies ive lost count, will break Sir Bobby's record. Just because Rooney is on more doesnt mean a new player will demand more, thats causation without correllation, because their positions arent even remotely the same

Most players arent angels.

Rooney wouldnt have been a free agent in 2015. He would have bought himself out this summer.

He'd be 29. And we're not in 2015. We're at the start of 2014. You're arguing that Rooney isn't worth ?300k pw right no, and that you wouldn't have taken him last summer at Chelsea at that wage. You're either lying or being extremely naive.

I wouldn't have taken him at 300k p/w for FIVE YEARS ... I would have taken him for 2-3 years definitely. Because we are still suffering from the last time we gave a striker a bumper contract for five years

It would hardly change their demands. Rooney has been here 10 years, has been key in so many trophies ive lost count, will break Sir Bobby's record. Just because Rooney is on more doesnt mean a new player will demand more, thats causation without correllation, because their positions arent even remotely the same

Most players arent angels.

Rooney wouldnt have been a free agent in 2015. He would have bought himself out this summer.

Stop ignoring my earlier post man ... Isn't their a gentlemans agreement between clubs that they won't buy a player if he buys out his contract? That's what Sunil said. If its not true then I will happily concede this argument

And whatever the past, it's hard to not instinctively like a player who celebrates like this:

[video]https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/2AC7CD569C1044424660290281472_1546af85f3d.4.7.8836 761661358388052.mp4?versionId=sfY6Sl.ezqcyNFClb3f6 HPjVaV.jodlR[/video]

And whatever the past, it's hard to not instinctively like a player who celebrates like this:

[video]https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/2AC7CD569C1044424660290281472_1546af85f3d.4.7.8836 761661358388052.mp4?versionId=sfY6Sl.ezqcyNFClb3f6 HPjVaV.jodlR[/video]

See he is so happy even without a new contract :P

Stop ignoring my earlier post man ... Isn't their a gentlemans agreement between clubs that they won't buy a player if he buys out his contract? That's what Sunil said. If its not true then I will happily concede this argument

If there is a gentlemans agreement, its not legally binding, that's why its a gentlemans agreement. The only legal thing is that the player must buy himself out within 15 days of the season ending.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have taken him at 300k p/w for FIVE YEARS ... I would have taken him for 2-3 years definitely. Because we are still suffering from the last time we gave a striker a bumper contract for five years

You're comparing Rooney right now to the Torres you bought? Really? You would never, ever have gotten him on a 3 year deal - it would make no sense for either party. And Chelsea would have been full aware of what his demands would have been and you still openly chased him. I said it the last time this argument popped up, why do people even care? Be grateful you've got one of the world's best players playing for you and leave the numbers to the accountants.

If there is a gentlemans agreement, its not legally binding, that's why its a gentlemans agreement. The only legal thing is that the player must buy himself out within 15 days of the season ending.

It's not legally binding but that would Chelsea and Rooney really risk the ire of every club and spoil relations by taking that route?

It's not legally binding but that would Chelsea and Rooney really risk the ire of every club and spoil relations by taking that route?

Hardly every club. Just United, and of course they would if he had just spent the last half a season being unhappy. Jose just spend all summer chasing Rooney when he didnt have the cards. You think he is goign to turn down a free and unattached Rooney? No, me neither.

Hardly every club. Just United, and of course they would if he had just spent the last half a season being unhappy. Jose just spend all summer chasing Rooney when he didnt have the cards. You think he is goign to turn down a free and unattached Rooney? No, me neither.

If it's a gentlemans agreement between all clubs then no one will be happy with Chelsea breaking it and leading the way for other players to follow suit

If it's a gentlemans agreement between all clubs then no one will be happy with Chelsea breaking it and leading the way for other players to follow suit

No one cares about a gentleman's agreement. Least of all an unhappy player and a manager who covets him. No club is stupid enough to let something like this rest on a gentleman's agreement.
And I doubt the other 18 clubs give a ****, because no club is stupid enough to get into that situation.

No one cares about a gentleman's agreement. Least of all an unhappy player and a manager who covets him. No club is stupid enough to let something like this rest on a gentleman's agreement.
And I doubt the other 18 clubs give a ****, because no club is stupid enough to get into that situation.

It is still very unlikely that Rooney would buy out his mammoth contract though ... I mean has it ever been done before on such a scale?

It is still very unlikely that Rooney would buy out his mammoth contract though ... I mean has it ever been done before on such a scale?

He could easily get it back as a signing on fee.

Chelsea would simply have compensated him. It would cost them about ?11m to do so. So actually they would be buying 28 year old Rooney for ?11m. Anyway you look at it your argument doesnt stand up.

TBF, Jose isn't really a man who follows unspoken laws, but instead breaks them. It's part of what makes him a fantastic manager and sets him outside of the normal everyday managers. So if he saw Rooney as a free agent whose contract ran out or as a player who just bought out his contract he will take him no matter the wage demands and Rooney isn't stupid enough to demand 5 year contract at his age due to Chelsea's policy.

Rooney signing new contract for an extra ?50k a week? yes pls.

the only people that should be annoyed are Chelsea fans. We got Mata and you don't get Rooney. Best deal.

Rooney signing new contract for an extra ?50k a week? yes pls.

the only people that should be annoyed are Chelsea fans. We got Mata and you don't get Rooney. Best deal.

I'm so annoyed right now.

angry-devito.gif

Chelsea would simply have compensated him. It would cost them about ?11m to do so. So actually they would be buying 28 year old Rooney for ?11m. Anyway you look at it your argument doesnt stand up.

Wont we have to pay more money which would be determined by some council? Rooney buying out his contract is extremely unlikely at best ... As I said, has it even been attempted before on such a scale?

Back