The Manchester United Thread

Wont we have to pay more money which would be determined by some council? Rooney buying out his contract is extremely unlikely at best ... As I said, has it even been attempted before on such a scale?

If there needed to be arbitration, but considering that United in your case would have told him he wasnt in their favour and wasnt getting a contract, he would win said case. It hasnt happened on this scale because no one would let it come to this. The closest you can get is Lewa and Dortmund. That worked out well...

It's certainly not extremely unlikely for him to buy his way out, not even close.

If there needed to be arbitration, but considering that United in your case would have told him he wasnt in their favour and wasnt getting a contract, he would win said case. It hasnt happened on this scale because no one would let it come to this. The closest you can get is Lewa and Dortmund. That worked out well...

It's certainly not extremely unlikely for him to buy his way out, not even close.

Or United could just say that he was asking for an unjustified pay rise and therefore they decided they didn't want to offer him a new contract?

Or United could just say that he was asking for an unjustified pay rise and therefore they decided they didn't want to offer him a new contract?

At which point he still walks off. You should look into the Webester ruling by the way.

I'm bored of this now. Your whole argument hinged on him not going on this "gentlemans agreement" which was tenous if it even exists (only a fool thinks this would stop a transfer). We've already torn that to shred ( so much for you conceding)

But even that is moot because:

You repeatedly ignore the fact that Moyes actually wanted him to sign on a long term deal, he made that clear from the moment he arrived. Rooney was always going to get a pay bump on whatever final contract he signed anywhere (including Chelsea). Moyes wanted it to be here. The gentlemans thing is moot since, you know, Moyes actually wants him to retire at the club if possible. You've jumped from random point to point about it, but in essence have missed off the key factors.

United wins Rooney wins, Chelsea dont get him ever. There is no merit to your point here.

Last edited:
It's too much, without doubt. But at the end of the day Rooney is our best player. We can't afford to let him go, especially with the position we're currently in. We need our squad as strong as possible for the battle coming up.

Nobody can say Rooney doesn't love the club either, just look at his celebration when Carrick scored against Fulham. He's now going to leave the club as our all-time top goalscorer and more than likely will be England's top goalscorer too.

300K p/w when he's 33 is way too much, but who's to say he won't be gone by then?

It's too much, without doubt. But at the end of the day Rooney is our best player. We can't afford to let him go, especially with the position we're currently in. We need our squad as strong as possible for the battle coming up.

Nobody can say Rooney doesn't love the club either, just look at his celebration when Carrick scored against Fulham. He's now going to leave the club as our all-time top goalscorer and more than likely will be England's top goalscorer too.

300K p/w when he's 33 is way too much, but who's to say he won't be gone by then?

Says who? Ibrahimovic is almost 33 and nobody doubts him as one of the worlds best.

Says who? Ibrahimovic is almost 33 and nobody doubts him as one of the worlds best.
also Aannddy. No one has factored in the point that we would have to replace Rooney. Even if you use Mata (excellent replacement) Van Persie is over 30 and bit injury prone, so now you need a near world class forward between him and Welbeck

You repeatedly ignore the fact that Moyes actually wanted him to sign on a long term deal, he made that clear from the moment he arrived. Rooney was always going to get a pay bump on whatever final contract he signed anywhere (including Chelsea). Moyes wanted it to be here. The gentlemans thing is moot since, you know, Moyes actually wants him to retire at the club if possible. You've jumped from random point to point about it, but in essence have missed off the key factors.

United wins Rooney wins, Chelsea dont get him ever. There is no merit to your point here.

Most important point that everyone is ignoring. If it was SAF then I'm sure Rooney would have been sold, but Moyes wanted him to stay from the very first day.

At the end of the day if he signs new contract then player is getting what he wanted, ManUtd gets what they get.

At which point he still walks off. You should look into the Webester ruling by the way.

I'm bored of this now. Your whole argument hinged on him not going on this "gentlemans agreement" which was tenous if it even exists (only a fool thinks this would stop a transfer). We've already torn that to shred ( so much for you conceding)

Considering that very few top-level players have actually used that route before and certainly no one in Rooney's league, I think it's quite fair to think that it's unlikely that he will buy out his massive contract and become a free agent. Why would he sign a new contract if that is an avenue he was seriously considering to pursue? It seems to me that he realises that United will not sell him to Chelsea and no other club needs or wants his huge wages and therefore he has decided to sign the bumper new contract. In short, he doesn't have many options at the moment

Considering that very few top-level players have actually used that route before and certainly no one in Rooney's league, I think it's quite fair to think that it's unlikely that he will buy out his massive contract and become a free agent. Why would he sign a new contract if that is an avenue he was seriously considering to pursue? It seems to me that he realises that United will not sell him to Chelsea and no other club needs or wants his huge wages and therefore he has decided to sign the bumper new contract. In short, he doesn't have many options at the moment

Anything to support your argument?

Right from day 1 you kept on repeating this without anything to back up the point.

Anything to support your argument?

Right from day 1 you kept on repeating this without anything to back up the point.

Think about it logically ... Which major club would take a 30 year-old player on 300k p/w in the FFP era? Chelsea? No. City? No. PSG? They have way too much attacking talent. Milan clubs? They have bigger problems now. Juventus? Could they support those kind of wages? Barcelona? Probably not. Madrid? Maaaaybee although the only time they were concretely interested in Rooney was when Jose was managing them

Think about it logically ... Which major club would take a 30 year-old player on 300k p/w in the FFP era? Chelsea? No. City? No. PSG? They have way too much attacking talent. Milan clubs? They have bigger problems now. Juventus? Could they support those kind of wages? Barcelona? Probably not. Madrid? Maaaaybee although the only time they were concretely interested in Rooney was when Jose was managing them

First: Rooney is 28 and will be 29 next season.
Second: We all know how wages are reported by the press. I'm sure 300K is not basic pay, it also includes lots of bonuses and his image rights.
Third: City gave a massive four year deal to 30 year old Yaya Toure which could rise to 240 K including performance bonuses (just like Rooney's). Rooney is more marketable player than Toure.
PSG: Paid a massive wages to Ibra who was 30 plus.
Chelsea: I don't know. You paid massive wages to Terry, Lampard and lots of oldies. Rooney is a big name and Roman wouldn't miss a chance to sign Rooney. Jose is a big fan of Rooney too.

Juventus pays 6 Million net to Buffon who well into his 30s.

Barcelona? Why not. But he wouldn't suit their game though.

Madrid? Depends but now the ship has sailed.

Then there is Monaco who would give anything to attract players like Rooney and not to forget 2 of the PSG star players wanted Rooney so badly in the summer at PSG.

First: Rooney is 28 and will be 29 next season.
Second: We all know how wages are reported by the press. I'm sure 300K is not basic pay, it also includes lots of bonuses and his image rights.
Third: City gave a massive four year deal to 30 year old Yaya Toure which could rise to 240 K including performance bonuses (just like Rooney's). Rooney is more marketable player than Toure.
PSG: Paid a massive wages to Ibra who was 30 plus.
Chelsea: I don't know. You paid massive wages to Terry, Lampard and lots of oldies. Rooney is a big name and Roman wouldn't miss a chance to sign Rooney. Jose is a big fan of Rooney too.

Juventus pays 6 Million net to Buffon who well into his 30s.

Barcelona? Why not. But he wouldn't suit their game though.

Madrid? Depends but now the ship has sailed.

Then there is Monaco who would give anything to attract players like Rooney and not to forget 2 of the PSG star players wanted Rooney so badly in the summer at PSG.

Roman will never sanction such a deal in 2015 especially on a five year contract. Chelsea are actually serious about complying with the FFP. If City are, they won't sanction such a deal either plus they got great strikers anyways. PSG do pay massive wages to Ibra but he is their marquee player in a sense, the type of player they bought to show they mean business. Why would they sanction another huge deal for Rooney especially since they already have so much attacking talent? They are getting ****** over trying to be in line with the FFP as it is

Good shout out for Monaco ... That's literally the only plausible option I can think of. Also would a club like Monaco which is not a commercial behemoth like United be able to support such a deal in 2015 which would be well into the FFP era?

Roman will never sanction such a deal in 2015 especially on a five year contract. Chelsea are actually serious about complying with the FFP. If City are, they won't sanction such a deal either plus they got great strikers anyways. PSG do pay massive wages to Ibra but he is their marquee player in a sense, the type of player they bought to show they mean business. Why would they sanction another huge deal for Rooney especially since they already have so much attacking talent? They are getting ****** over trying to be in line with the FFP as it is

Good shout out for Monaco ... That's literally the only plausible option I can think of. Also would a club like Monaco which is not a commercial behemoth like United be able to support such a deal in 2015 which would be well into the FFP era?

Your whole argument is full of excuses about FFP tbh.

If club x wants to comply with FFP then I'm sure they won't pay massive wages..

Also Roman won't sanction 5 year deal in 2015, neither will Rooney have 5 year deal in 2015. He will have 4 year deal. ManUtd offered 4 year deal with big wages when he was 30. It's not something that's happening or happened for the first time.

Why do PSG want another marquee player? To help them grow and compete for all the titles? To help them promote their cub even better?

City paid as much wages for a 30 year old Toure. Good that you are ignoring that.

Well anyways, Rooney is staying only because he doesn't have any offers if that makes you happy.

Oh and Juventus paid 7.5 Million to Tevez who is 30 year old.

So it started with

No way we are selling you Mata to anyone

No way we are selling Mata to ManUtd even as part of Rooney deal.

No way we are selling Mata to manUtd without Rooney as a part of the deal

Rooney will be off in summer/can't sign world class players

Rooney isn't worth 300K on a 5 year deal.

No way Chelsea would have paid him 300K.

Rooney signed only because he didn't have better offers.

Not sure where this will end.

It was pretty obvious that we weren't getting Rooney after the Mata deal went through with little to no mention of a mutual trade.

It was pretty obvious that we weren't getting Rooney after the Mata deal went through with little to no mention of a mutual trade.

Tell that to Alcaraz. This whole contract stems from the fact that Moyes wanted to tie him down forever.

Moyes wanted to keep him as opposed to Ferguson kicking him out the door

Rooney wanted to stay more under Moyes as opposed to not wanting to play under Ferguson again

Far more costly to replace Rooney than lose him (even with Mata, we would require a top class forward between RVP and Welbeck).

In fact Alcaraz, just stop, you've veered all over the place, every point taken apart, you're arguing over nothing (because you have long lost sight of what you were arguing about in the first place) and you're filling our thread with *****.

Tell that to Alcaraz. This whole contract stems from the fact that Moyes wanted to tie him down forever.

Moyes wanted to keep him as opposed to Ferguson kicking him out the door

Rooney wanted to stay more under Moyes as opposed to not wanting to play under Ferguson again

Far more costly to replace Rooney than lose him (even with Mata, we would require a top class forward between RVP and Welbeck).

In fact Alcaraz, just stop, you've veered all over the place, every point taken apart, you're arguing over nothing (because you have long lost sight of what you were arguing about in the first place) and you're filling our thread with *****.

Tell me what? Are you saying that I believed Chelsea will get Rooney in the summer because we sold you Mata in January? You are just adding credence to my argument that Rooney has very few options other than to sign a new contract with united

Enough of this. I didnt say anything, so stop putting words in my mouth. You've just veering from random point to point and ruining our thread. Again. Cut it out. I'm tired of our thread turning into a shitfest because you're determined to win any random point.

Even when we suck in league (and pretty much everywhere else) we still find a way to **** off other fans. It's amazing :D

Back