The Manchester United Thread

Tell that to Alcaraz. This whole contract stems from the fact that Moyes wanted to tie him down forever.

Moyes wanted to keep him as opposed to Ferguson kicking him out the door

Rooney wanted to stay more under Moyes as opposed to not wanting to play under Ferguson again

Far more costly to replace Rooney than lose him (even with Mata, we would require a top class forward between RVP and Welbeck).

That's why I was so annoyed when we lost Mata for straight cash. For all the reasons you've stated, it was pretty obvious then that Moyes saw Rooney as a United player and wouldn't be letting him go.

As for Alc, I don't really get your point. We can't know if Rooney staying is a matter of him wanting to, the club forcing him to or simply because of a lack of serious offers. It's possible that top European clubs couldn't afford him, or didn't want him, but we can't know that. All we know is that Rooney will be a United player for the foreseeable future and that is that.

That's why I was so annoyed when we lost Mata for straight cash. For all the reasons you've stated, it was pretty obvious then that Moyes saw Rooney as a United player and wouldn't be letting him go.

As for Alc, I don't really get your point. We can't know if Rooney staying is a matter of him wanting to, the club forcing him to or simply because of a lack of serious offers. It's possible that top European clubs couldn't afford him, or didn't want him, but we can't know that. All we know is that Rooney will be a United player for the foreseeable future and that is that.

Onviously we can't though ... I am just merely speculating and I do feel quite strongly that the reason he is signing a new contract is because he has very little chance of securing a move to another major club. I mean wasn't this the same player who wanted to leave for Chelsea in the summer and United have hardly performed well since then to convince him to stay

Petrucci's interview.

You have always had the burning ambition to play for United. Does that remain?
Obviously it's still a dream for me to play here. I've never really had the chance. I hope one day that I am given a chance to show if I can do something or not. I think if you are given an opportunity to show what you can do, it's down to you. Many young players have a chance and some take it while some don't. I never really had one. I hope one day that I do get it.

Hopefully he gets at least few games this season. He has very good eye for pass and he is not afraid to play killer passes. Shame he couldn't even get a decent loan option. He had the chance to leave United year or 2 back but he signed contract as he wanted to play for the first team. Few rumors that Roma and other Serie A teams wanted him.

Also,

Were you unable to feature in your best position?
It was just that sometimes I played out wide and sometimes behind the striker but running beyond him and that is not really my game. However, if the coach tells you to do something, you just try to do it.

Like I said, he is a proper CM and plays deeper.

Petrucci's interview.

Hopefully he gets at least few games this season. He has very good eye for pass and he is not afraid to play killer passes. Shame he couldn't even get a decent loan option. He had the chance to leave United year or 2 back but he signed contract as he wanted to play for the first team. Few rumors that Roma and other Serie A teams wanted him.

Also,

Like I said, he is a proper CM and plays deeper.

He deserves a chance, especially when you consider all our other midfielders are not exactly world-beaters. Plus now the season is practically over League wise, so I don't understand why not.

Admittedly Moyes is probably not in a position to take risks, after all our form is shocking. But hopefully the lad gets a chance, he can't be any worse than Cleverley.

The guy struggled to get games in the Belgian second division. At the age of 22, do you really think he could be of any use? Seriously?

The guy struggled to get games in the Belgian second division. At the age of 22, do you really think he could be of any use? Seriously?

He was kept out of the squad by John Bostock, tbf. ;)

Well I hear he actually passes a ball forward from time to time.... Tom Sideways Cleverley is only of use if you're looking to retain the ball but not actually go anywhere.

That hardly tells the story isn't it, Kevin Prince Boateng hardly played for Spurs and didn't even get squad number at Spurs but played for Milan and was one of their important player in Serie A winning season.

I'm not sure for what reason he wasn't picked by the side but not playing at the loaned club doesn't tell the full story.

Well I hear he actually passes a ball forward from time to time.... Tom Sideways Cleverley is only of use if you're looking to retain the ball but not actually go anywhere.

While Cleverley isn't exactly great, forgive me if I have my doubts about Petrucci being better.

That hardly tells the story isn't it, Kevin Prince Boateng hardly played for Spurs and didn't even get squad number at Spurs but played for Milan and was one of their important player in Serie A winning season.

I'm not sure for what reason he wasn't picked by the side but not playing at the loaned club doesn't tell the full story.

Are you serious? Are you really comparing Boateng, with Petrucci? A guy who, at the age of 20, had already played 50 Bundesliga games for Hertha Berlin but then struggled for games at a much bigger club, with a guy who never played a senior game for United (or any top-flight game, for that matter) at the age of 22 and couldn't play his way into a team in the Belgian second division? A guy who played for every single German youth team and made his debut with Ghana at the age of 22, with a guy that got a few call-ups for the Italian u-19 and never featured in the Azzurini plans again, ever?

Terrible, terrible comparison. I know you'd like to find an answer to your midfield woes in the youth setup (who wouldn't? Real Madrid doesn't count), but sometimes you have to accept you just can't. And players who look a class apart for the reserves many a time never quite cut it for the senior team, because it's a whole different game.

Ben Smith ✔ @BenSmithBBC

I think its the best deal for all parties, they kept someone who is a very good player and versatile and spent no transfer fee (although agent and player fees for a re-newel your looking at 5mill each plus). If they was to replace Rooney then they would have to spend 40mill+ in transfer fees, the same sort of agent and player fees plus this new players wages which although may not be 300k a week will probably be around 150-200k.

Are you serious? Are you really comparing Boateng, with Petrucci? A guy who, at the age of 20, had already played 50 Bundesliga games for Hertha Berlin but then struggled for games at a much bigger club, with a guy who never played a senior game for United (or any top-flight game, for that matter) at the age of 22 and couldn't play his way into a team in the Belgian second division? A guy who played for every single German youth team and made his debut with Ghana at the age of 22, with a guy that got a few call-ups for the Italian u-19 and never featured in the Azzurini plans again, ever?

Terrible, terrible comparison. I know you'd like to find an answer to your midfield woes in the youth setup (who wouldn't? Real Madrid doesn't count), but sometimes you have to accept you just can't. And players who look a class apart for the reserves many a time never quite cut it for the senior team, because it's a whole different game.

Woahhh.. Chill. I never said Petrucci is as good as KPB, just said just because a player couldn't find a place in smaller teams doesn't mean he isn't good enough.

I'm not saying he is the answer to all our problems, just saying he was very good or U21s and we have nothing to play and there is no harm in giving him a game or 2 to see how he does with senior players. We can play Cleverley all day long without making any progress, so instead of just playing him for the sake of it, why not try out few players who has done well for U21s and that too in the position we need someone so badly.

Major boost for DM and Utd. Trying to remember the last time positive news came out of Old Trafford

This day..
JS31604738-3062813.jpg

Woahhh.. Chill. I never said Petrucci is as good as KPB, just said just because a player couldn't find a place in smaller teams doesn't mean he isn't good enough.

The situation is entirely different.

You can't compare someone who was playing regularly in a small team and got snapped up by a bigger one and then struggled for game time (which is quite common), with someone who never, ever played for any team whatsoever until he was 21 and then got sent on loan to the Belgian second division, where Heskey with a blindfold would be top goalscorer, and didn't manage to get game time either.

I'm not saying he is the answer to all our problems, just saying he was very good or U21s and we have nothing to play and there is no harm in giving him a game or 2 to see how he does with senior players. We can play Cleverley all day long without making any progress, so instead of just playing him for the sake of it, why not try out few players who has done well for U21s and that too in the position we need someone so badly.

You may not make progress with Cleverley, but what if Petrucci fares even worse, which is more than likely? There are just so many players that have impressed for the u-21s over the years and most of them are playing in the Championship - if they're lucky.

Wayne Rooney said:
(Papers say) I've been demanding to be captain & want input into the Club’s transfer policy which is laughable & of course untrue.

I'm rather inclined to believe him.

Back