The Manchester United Thread

Well quite. I always love the get rid of the manager vibe. I always ask them: replace them with who?

This guy! ;)

I mean jesus, I know it's nice to stand by your manager and all that jazz but Moyes isn't working and isn't improving in any way. As United are such a 'big club' then they should be able to tempt someone decent to move in the summer and until then just leave Moyes in charge.

EDIT: Or sack Moyes and beg SAF to come back till the end of the season..

Last edited:
This guy! ;)

I mean jesus, I know it's nice to stand by your manager and all that jazz but Moyes isn't working and isn't improving in any way. As United are such a 'big club' then they should be able to tempt someone decent to move in the summer and until then just leave Moyes in charge.
That's my point, if you gotta sack him, have someone lined up. Don't sack him now, and then spend the next 3 months drifting along. Unless you can bring in someone better now, then its a pointless discussion.

There is only 2 reasons to keep Moyes at this moment: -

1) Believing in the long term project and what he is currently doing with the team. - Can't give him this one I'm afraid, on the pitch it's dire and I don't believe in anything he's doing to be quite honest.

2) Due to what Mike/Joel say about sticking with him till summer just for his targets... but I disagree with this.... we can all target top players with no return. This is his 3rd transfer window, so far we've ended up with Fellaini (who the jury is very much still out on and was signed than his release clause anyway).

Mata - Ok we all know he's a very good player but if there was one position where it wasn't going to change our season it was that one.

My theory is... get a top-class manager lined up and bring them in as soon as possible. I do think there is a bit of straw-clutching from people saying well who could we get. It's Manchester United... it's more appealing now than after Fergie retired arguably.

It's not straw clutching at all, who is going to leave their club end of February? And is of the kind of quality we need?

Di Matteo is a terrible choice, that CL win was 1 in a 1000000000000000000000000000000.

Don't know really, it's probably going to be someone at the end of the season, which is where the problem lies with bringing players in.

Quite frankly I'd rather see Giggs or Warren Joyce take charge till end of season and then let the new man come in rather than keep Moyes at this moment.

Everyone knows I want Klopp, failing that Simeone. You could argue Klopp has nothing left to achieve with Dortmund, very very slim chance of UCL but at the end of the season I could definitely see him moving on with the right offer.
so you want to replace a manager of 10 years, with a player who has never managed in his life. Why? It's an even worse idea than hiring Di Matteo.

Last edited:
so you want to replace a manager of 10 years, with a player who has never managed in his life. Why? It's an even worse idea than hiring Di Matteo.

At the moment the whole squad needs a lift, we're realistic in saying that we won't get anyone great until the summer (or it's very unlikely).

The only thing left of this season is the Champions League... now the 2nd leg.... as it stands the whole team is down and there is no confidence whatsoever.

We've seen with other teams what can happen when a player/coach takes over who is well-received. For example Gary Monk and Tim Sherwood. The effects off the pitch have told on the pitch, that's basically why.

Edit: Oh and quite frankly Giggs would lift the whole place until the end of the season and he'd probably not do any worse tactically than Moyes. In fact Moyes has been seen talking to Giggs during games about on-field issues during games, on the sidelines.

Last edited:
At the moment the whole squad needs a lift, we're realistic in saying that we won't get anyone great until the summer (or it's very unlikely).

The only thing left of this season is the Champions League... now the 2nd leg.... as it stands the whole team is down and there is no confidence whatsoever.

We've seen with other teams what can happen when a player/coach takes over who is well-received. For example Gary Monk and Tim Sherwood. The effects off the pitch have told on the pitch, that's basically why.

Edit: Oh and quite frankly Giggs would lift the whole place until the end of the season and he'd probably not do any worse tactically than Moyes. In fact Moyes has been seen talking to Giggs during games about on-field issues during games, on the sidelines.

That's entirely short termist thinking though. A lift means nothing in the log run of what we need to get done, and we both know serious work needs doing. And would unravel plans for the summer. These trump everything else this season. You are basically trading and hoping on the short term new manager effect, for what? Best thing you do ( in terms of sacking) Line up that top summer replacement, make sure the players being targeted fit your ideals as a club (so far holding true) let Moyes to the unwanted work of getting rid of players, and then sack him. Most clubs (including us) are already doing their summer transfer work now, we cannot unravel that. No matter what.

[h=2]Moyes's record-breaking season[/h]
  • United lose to Olympiakos for the first time after winning the four previous meetings
  • Stoke earn first win over Man Utd since 1984
  • Swansea win at Old Trafford for the first time
  • Newcastle win at Man Utd for first time since 1972
  • Everton achieve same feat for first time since 1992
  • West Brom win at Old Trafford for first time since 1978

He might just be asking for advice about ******** his brother's wife.

[TABLE="class: table-stats"]
[TR="class: preview"]
[TD="class: match-details teams"]West Brom V Man Utd
[/TD]
[TD="class: match-date"] Sat 8 Mar [/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff"] 12:45 [/TD]
[TD="class: status"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: statistics show"]Show[/TD]
[TD="class: match-competition"] Premier League [/TD]
[TD="class: match-details teams"]Man Utd V Liverpool
[/TD]
[TD="class: match-date"] Sun 16 Mar [/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff"] 13:30 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-competition"] Champions League - Round of 16 [/TD]
[TD="class: match-details teams"]
Man Utd V Olympiakos (agg 0-2)
[/TD]
[TD="class: match-date"] Wed 19 Mar [/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff"] 19:45 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-details teams"]West Ham V Man Utd
[/TD]
[TD="class: match-date"] Sat 22 Mar [/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff"] 17:30 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-details teams"]Man Utd V Man City
[/TD]
[TD="class: match-date"] Tue 25 Mar [/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff"] 19:45 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: match-details teams"]Man Utd V Aston Villa
[/TD]
[TD="class: match-date"] Sat 29 Mar [/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Those games might define whether he survives at the club.

As it is, absolutely no hope with Liverpool or Manchester City. And if yesterday was any indication, take the same with Olympiakos, considering we're behind by 2 goals. West Ham and Villa are the only ones where we stand a chance.

Don't forget the record-breaking amount of crosses against Fulham!

If he can somehow manage a victory against Liverpool that will placate the fans.......for a week or so (or if they get knocked out of Europe)

Don't forget the record-breaking amount of crosses against Fulham!

No one cares about that random anomaly unless they are being stupid. Because it was exception rather than the trend.

As it is, absolutely no hope with Liverpool or Manchester City. And if yesterday was any indication, take the same with Olympiakos, considering we're behind by 2 goals. West Ham and Villa are the only ones where we stand a chance.

I think it's the performance and the attitude that matter, rather than the results.

I foresee United getting a win against Liverpool for some reason. By a few goals also. It is known.

I think it's the performance and the attitude that matter, rather than the results.

Yeah the fans will want to see a response and so will the glaziers I suspect, results will get him some breathing room especially if he can pull it off against Liverpool and manage to stay in Europe.

out of interest mike do you think he will be sacked if he doesn't get results? Tbf they did just sack a coach at the Bucks after one season and if you look into it makes for interesting reading however NFL is totally different animal to football

sorry I misread the years the guy got two seasons forgot nfl is different in that it does it in single years not 2012-13

Yeah the fans will want to see a response and so will the glaziers I suspect, results will get him some breathing room especially if he can pull it off against Liverpool and manage to stay in Europe.

out of interest mike do you think he will be sacked if he doesn't get results? Tbf they did just sack a coach at the Bucks after one season and if you look into it makes for interesting reading however NFL is totally different animal to football
It depends on the players as well. If he loses the support and confidence of the players who are going to be the mainstay of the club, well as fan and boars support, I think they will fire him in the summer. You can weather the bad times, and the grumbling in the stands, but you lose your players as well and you are done.

No one cares about that random anomaly unless they are being stupid. Because it was exception rather than the trend.
I was merely replying to andrichbrand's post about records set by Moyes this season, although for some reason quoting his post didn't work. Am amazed by how much you're ****** off by a single sentence.

Back