The Manchester United Thread

look at the end of the day everybody wants to win and we all carnt its that simple we all have our opinions on it all but hey its only a game somebody once said??

I've got to say that this is ******* delicious. After all the years of constant condescension from United fans, years of "you need stability like we have" and talk of how we're shallow, plastic fans for not supporting our managers through hard times, United fans up and down the country are eating their words.

I'd argue that the transitional Chelsea was a much better team than this United squad are. With them, it was sort of realistic to look at our interim managers and ask questions about why they're struggling. You're starting a Champion's League tie with 3 players who are woefully out of form, a pair of clearly disillusioned centrebacks and a striker who is clearly getting a little more than frustrated. And yet still the calls come out for Moyes' head, often from the same people who reacted to AVB, RDM and Scolari's dismissals with seeming disgust about the state of modern football.

Christ, it's not as easy as people in this thread make it sound. Yes this was, in theory, a title winning squad but everyone else in the league has strengthened since then whilst your squad has aged. Not to mention the fact that it was dragged to that title by one of the greatest managers of all time. Moyes hasn't shown a lot to suggest that he is the right man for the job since he's arrived at OT but it hasn't even been a full season yet. His tenure at Everton suggested he was a sharp, shrewd manager who had excellent potential. The squad isn't even his and there is obvious dissent from the former stars in the dressing room.

It's a shame because he's never going to get the chance to be United manager, he's just going to be the one who tanks all the damage for this painful transitional period. He needs a full season with a productive transfer window and a squad that's his own before we can really judge him.

Can't you go whinge on the Arsenal or Liverpool thread as well then? I've heard people wanting Wenger out and we're in a much worse position.

Your point is really moot... it's not because of just the results, it's mainly down to the performances and the on-field displays in general. Any club has certain expectations, United have stuck with it this long is a testament that were not trigger happy, if Chelsea were near 7th Jose would be 'the sacked one' by now.

The call for stability hasn't changed one bit though. So that's kind of moot.

It depends on how you define stability. The discussions here perfectly mirror the old Chelsea thread ones in that everyone is saying: "let's be stable, once we've sacked this guy who's not even a full season into his tenure because of senior player unrest, poor results and a lack of evidence that he can rebuild a club..." It really is uncanny.

Can't you go whinge on the Arsenal or Liverpool thread as well then? I've heard people wanting Wenger out and we're in a much worse position.

Your point is really moot... it's not because of just the results, it's mainly down to the performances and the on-field displays in general. Any club has certain expectations, United have stuck with it this long is a testament that were not trigger happy, if Chelsea were near 7th Jose would be 'the sacked one' by now.

well said man hats off to you at last somebody with the same frustrations instead of some clown saying blar blar blar if ya a true fan keep ya gob shut?? were MANCHESTER UNITED FFS not good enough!! fellini and mata both moyes signing both panic buys and as of yet both below average at best

I'm not whinging; this is hilarious! It's not really a moot point because I'm not saying that Moyes' tenure so far has been any less than awful. What I am saying is that there are lots of mitigating circumstances for that, and I think that pretty much every manager in the world would have struggled. Of those that wouldn't, you reportedly refused the only one (Jose) who was interested in coming to you.

Last edited:
It depends on how you define stability. The discussions here perfectly mirror the old Chelsea thread ones in that everyone is saying: "let's be stable, once we've sacked this guy who's not even a full season into his tenure because of senior player unrest, poor results and a lack of evidence that he can rebuild a club..." It really is uncanny.
We're not talking senior player unrest (lampard and terry vs rio and Vidic), but the issue is those who will undoubtedly make up the core of the side in years to come. If he loses the likes of Welbeck, Jones, Rooney, De Gea; then he is in trouble.

well said man hats off to you at last somebody with the same frustrations instead of some clown saying blar blar blar if ya a true fan keep ya gob shut?? were MANCHESTER UNITED FFS not good enough!! fellini and mata both moyes signing both panic buys and as of yet both below average at best
Only a fool tries to argue by saying we're Manchester united. you don't get want you want because we're United, we get here through serious amounts of hard work, through good times and bad. We don't deserve anything, we earn it.

Since this is most active part of forum, I'll ask here. What's the difference between 'at all' and 'et al'. I've seen it few times and I'm wondering...

You can only hope that from June onwards, there is a visible upturn in this club's fortunes and that the players are not completely bounded to the previous regime. Weather the storm until May and go from there.

smalling jones cleverley buttner young hernendez anderson good enough players after vidic ferdinand evra?? we only gave rooney a kings ransom to save total embarrassment as for carsick well you just tell me which of these players would get a game for arsenal liverpool chelsea or city none is the answer **** wipe you must know totally nowt bout football
Yes, clearly I know nothing, because we have an "ageing squad" don't we? Smalling and Jones are top notch defenders on their day and can only become better, cleverly may not be ****** Xavi but he does his job. Hernandez deserves way more playing time but with Rooney and RVP that is hard to come by. Buttner and Young are ****, everyone knows that, and Anderson has put in some good performances but always gets injured when he starts playing well. We gave Rooney that much money because it is a **** of a lot cheaper to pay him that then get in some one of the same caliber to replace him which would cost north of ?30 mill, plus wages, agent fees and image rights, oh and I suppose that the fact that he has every chance on the world to become our and England's highest goal scorer of all time and he is a **** good player has nothing to do with it? I mean come on, you had ago about RVP, one of our best for christ sake, when what he came out and said is mostly true.
We have a front line up of RVP, Rooney, Mata, Januzai and Kagawa which would make any team nervous to play against. We have had major problems in Midfield since Keane left and our Defense may not be fantastic but they are good, as well as having one of the worlds best up and coming GK. Just becuase we don't have a team of all stars doesn't mean we don't have a good squad. I know plenty about football. You are the one here who can't see past problems that are simple. this thread has discussed Cleverly's potential, or Ferdinands expiry date, or Carrick's merit or Young's sheer shitness and Rooney's contract a hundred times. And each time we come to the same conclusion, one that you don't see.
We have many, many problems, be it Fergie' mistake to not bring in new blood to the midfield for years, or losing most of our backroom staff, Fergie and Gill at the same time, Moyes shocking tactical mistakes and general transfer window uselesness and poor player performances. But you can't just assign blame like you did, it is un-justified.

You may think I know nothing about football, thats fine it is your opinion but by trying to blame Fergie for the position we are in, they way you have shows people how ignorant you are being.

Last edited:
Since this is most active part of forum, I'll ask here. What's the difference between 'at all' and 'et al'. I've seen it few times and I'm wondering...

At all means to an extent, or to a degree.

Et al is Latin, literally, for "and others". So for example, Ferguson, Phelan, Meulensteen et al.

et al is an abbreviation of a latin word forget which just means "and others" use it at uni all the time

edit ninja'd for the second time today this time by inickstuff :P

Ah, United.. the peoples club..

BhVdjiOIUAA6K5-.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/mikekeeganmen/status/438722915354562561

We're not talking senior player unrest (lampard and terry vs rio and Vidic), but the issue is those who will undoubtedly make up the core of the side in years to come. If he loses the likes of Welbeck, Jones, Rooney, De Gea; then he is in trouble.

Do you think losing those players is likely to happen?

At all means to an extent, or to a degree.

Et al is Latin, literally, for "and others". So for example, Ferguson, Phelan, Meulensteen et al.

Thanks mate.

et al is an abbreviation of a latin word forget which just means "and others" use it at uni all the time

edit ninja'd for the second time today this time by inickstuff :P

You're **** ninja I must say :D But thanks.

Yes, clearly I know nothing, because we have an "ageing squad" don't we? Smalling and Jones are top notch defenders on their day and can only become better, cleverly may not be ****** Xavi but he does his job. Hernandez deserves way more playing time but with Rooney and RVP that is hard to come by. Buttner and Young are ****, everyone knows that, and Anderson has put in some good performances but always gets injured when he starts playing well. We gave Rooney that much money because it is a **** of a lot cheaper to pay him that then get in some one of the same caliber to replace him which would cost north of ?30 mill, plus wages, agent fees and image rights, oh and I suppose that the fact that he has every chance on the world to become our and England's highest goal scorer of all time and he is a **** good player has nothing to do with it? I mean come on, you had ago about RVP, one of our best for christ sake, when what he came out and said is mostly true.
We have a front line up of RVP, Rooney, Mata, Januzai and Kagawa which would make any team nervous to play against. We have had major problems in Midfield since Keane left and our Defense may not be fantastic but they are good, as well as having one of the worlds best up and coming GK. Just becuase we don't have a team of all stars doesn't mean we don't have a good squad. I know plenty about football. You are the one here who can't see past problems that are simple. this thread has discussed Cleverly's potential, or Ferdinands expiry date, or Carrick's merit or Young's sheer shitness and Rooney's contract a hundred times. And each time we come to the same conclusion, one that you don't see.
We have many, many problems, be it Fergie' mistake to not bring in new blood to the midfield for years, or losing most of our backroom staff, Fergie and Gill at the same time, Moyes shocking tactical mistakes and general transfer window uselesness and poor player performances. But you can't just assign blame like you did, it is un-justified.

You may think I know nothing about football, thats fine it is your opinion but by trying to blame Fergie for the position we are in, they way you have shows people how ignorant you are being.

some sense in here man and my bad!! lots of people and things are at fault and sometimes we all look for the fall guy and we all have opinions and look i aint perfect i like you and others on here have opinions and maybe what were thinking and typing doesn't come across the same but lets agree on this the mess were in isn't good enough

Back