The Manchester United Thread

Only thing that is keeping Moyes in a job is realistically the fact that this is one of the worst squads seen for quite some time at United, plus the fact he gets some leeway over Fergie choosing him.

I'd love to say I can see us getting great players in the summer and it being totally different next season, but with so much going wrong, it really is hard to see how he can turn it around.

I understand your worries, but when you talk about Klopp for example, you have to factor some of the reasons for his success. He knows, that if things go really down the pan, he will be backed by Dortmund, that safety net allows him to take that risk. Even if we dont keep Moyes, we need to show any new manager that we would go as far as possible to back them, and support them. That doesnt mean Moyes gets to do nothing and stay, he certainly must hit a number of targets we have talked about forever, but you have to got to foster the right image for the kind of manager you would want.

He may be an utter hero and Im not belittling him exactly. What I said about him are facts! (gawd I reminded myself of the hateful git that is Rafa Benitez now).

That's 'hateful git Rafa Benitez who has his team in the CL spots' to you!

Only thing that is keeping Moyes in a job is realistically the fact that this is one of the worst squads seen for quite some time at United, plus the fact he gets some leeway over Fergie choosing him.

That, and the fact that if United sack Moyes now Old Trafford will likely begin to resemble the apocalypse. There is no good that can come of sacking your manager now.

Cleverley gets far too much **** , I feel he just goes out there and does exactly the job that Moyes assigns - recycling possession. And - all jokes aside - he's actually pretty good at it.

Cleverley gets far too much **** , I feel he just goes out there and does exactly the job that Moyes assigns - recycling possession. And - all jokes aside - he's actually pretty good at it.

Nah, he used to move it much much quicker, and move it forwards. He's regressed and his confidence is also totally shot

Nah, he used to move it much much quicker, and move it forwards. He's regressed and his confidence is also totally shot

My point exactly, you don't just forget how to play forward. Not unless you're specifically told not to. Its not like there's zero options, if Moyes wants a tackler/enforcer he can play Fletcher or even Jones, if he wants more of a creator there's still Giggs.

If Moyes consistently picks Cleverley who then goes and does 50 sideways to nearest player and 30 backpasses, then apparently that's how Moyes he wants it. Tactics not the player.

My point exactly, you don't just forget how to play forward. Not unless you're specifically told not to. Its not like there's zero options, if Moyes wants a tackler/enforcer he can play Fletcher or even Jones, if he wants more of a creator there's still Giggs.

If Moyes consistently picks Cleverley who then goes and does 50 sideways to nearest player and 30 backpasses, then apparently that's how Moyes he wants it. Tactics not the player.

It's a mixture of both. Cleverley reads too many papers I think, he thinks finishing game with 90% pass completion means he had a good game and he is some sort of La Liga midfielder.

Also when Fellani played against Palace he played box to box role, even when Jones played in the midfield he used to make forward runs. Only when Cleverley plays he will play with no tempo or with some intent. It's more about player than tactics IMO. He lacks confidence big time maybe.

True I thought young played well last night every one looked lost.

If you look at Chelsea/Man City though he would be about 5th or 6th choice to play on either of their wide positions. He may have a had a good game but those are few and far between these days. He's a very average player playing in a very average team so every now and then he's bound to look good.

I understand your worries, but when you talk about Klopp for example, you have to factor some of the reasons for his success. He knows, that if things go really down the pan, he will be backed by Dortmund, that safety net allows him to take that risk. Even if we dont keep Moyes, we need to show any new manager that we would go as far as possible to back them, and support them. That doesnt mean Moyes gets to do nothing and stay, he certainly must hit a number of targets we have talked about forever, but you have to got to foster the right image for the kind of manager you would want.

Yes all that is fair, but partly why a lot of people are not buying into Moyes is not the factor of results but more down to the performances and how bad they've actually been. The players can take some blame, but eventually it directs to the manager.

I just couldn't see Klopp standing there looking totally lost on the side-lines while we're playing so *****.

Moyes needs to learn an angry face....

View attachment 414298

View attachment 414299

Last edited:
If you look at Chelsea/Man City though he would be about 5th or 6th choice to play on either of their wide positions. He may have a had a good game but those are few and far between these days. He's a very average player playing in a very average team so every now and then he's bound to look good.

I fear we will be stuck with Young until his contract winds down. No one will pay such an average squad player the sort of money he's on now. If he were on a smaller wage similar to the likes of Valencia, he'd be a decent squad player, but he's just not worth his current wage.

Team of 11 Rafa's would still struggle to reach 'hateful git' level of one Ferguson.

I think the reason Moyes is benching him is simply because Fergie benched him, he's trying to do exactly what Fergie did for winning matches. Seems clueless on his own.

No actually its because he doesn't fit as well as he should. Which would be apparent if you watched our games. he requires a quicker tempo than we have played in the last two years

No actually its because he doesn't fit as well as he should. Which would be apparent if you watched our games. he requires a quicker tempo than we have played in the last two years
I admit I do not watch United games all that often, so there could be more tactical issues that I'm unaware of and a manager also gets to see the player during training so they know better, but I think Moyes is restricting himself from being adventurous with his tactics. Not in attacking way, but trying something different when current one is clearly not working.

Back