The Manchester United Thread

I want to see Janko getting some minutes. Just for giggles when he outmuscle 10 years older guys.

Shouldn't of got rid of Fabio to be honest, admittedly he hasn't progressed in to quite the player we had hoped, but still very good back-up/cover option and I much prefer him to Buttner.

I want to see Janko getting some minutes. Just for giggles when he outmuscle 10 years older guys.

If we don't sign any RB then hopefully we promote Varela to the first team. Rafael and Varela as back up is good enough IMO and in the worst case scenario we can play Jones or Smalling.

Worst case scenario of Jones/Smalling at right back is awful. It's like using Carrick as a 4th choice CB. We will need another right back in the summer unless Varela is good enough to provide cover. Can't say i've seen much of him but he isn't getting a sniff at the squad even when Rafa is out which isn't a great sign when you consider how appalling Smalling is as a right back.

If we don't sign any RB then hopefully we promote Varela to the first team. Rafael and Varela as back up is good enough IMO and in the worst case scenario we can play Jones or Smalling.
Tbh, I've never seen Varela so I cannot say anything about him.
RB is needed as much as LB. You need to have calm, composed RB who's good on the ball. It's essential nowdays. Rafael is getting there and yesterdays game reminds me of Dani Alves in Sevilla.
As much as I like Jones, I don't see him as CB. He's too restless (hard to find better word). I don't think he understand defensive positioning. I honestly hope he proves me wrong. Smalling, good, very good defender. Just that technique on the ball and he'll be solid for United. I think Evans is much better pair for Smalling than Jones. Evans is composed and doesn't panic too often (true, when he does than it's catastrophic, but hey).

Tbh, I've never seen Varela so I cannot say anything about him.
RB is needed as much as LB. You need to have calm, composed RB who's good on the ball. It's essential nowdays. Rafael is getting there and yesterdays game reminds me of Dani Alves in Sevilla.
As much as I like Jones, I don't see him as CB. He's too restless (hard to find better word). I don't think he understand defensive positioning. I honestly hope he proves me wrong. Smalling, good, very good defender. Just that technique on the ball and he'll be solid for United. I think Evans is much better pair for Smalling than Jones. Evans is composed and doesn't panic too often (true, when he does than it's catastrophic, but hey).
yesterday was forming the basis of how he wants United to play, and how he used to play. In this, attacking fullbacks are crucial. That statement about kagawa shows he is intent on using 4 narrowish playmakers to interconnect while attacking width comes from bombing full backs (remember how deadly the Pienaar/Baines combo is/was). This means you must always have that kind of attacking full back. So as you say, attacking full back cover for Rafael is 100% vital. We cannot make do with Jones/Smalling there next season.

Ah so now comes the part when we all say we predicted it, after months of totally not predicting it!

Actually, the general consensus on this forum in his first few games was that yes, he wasn't playing well, but give him time and he'd eventually get his act together.

yesterday was forming the basis of how he wants United to play, and how he used to play. In this, attacking fullbacks are crucial. That statement about kagawa shows he is intent on using 4 narrowish playmakers to interconnect while attacking width comes from bombing full backs (remember how deadly the Pienaar/Baines combo is/was). This means you must always have that kind of attacking full back. So as you say, attacking full back cover for Rafael is 100% vital. We cannot make do with Jones/Smalling there next season.
Agreed. Pienaar and Baines had amazing partnership few years ago. Baines would provide width, Pienaar would be playmaker/another body in midfield which is very important.
Ps, what's wrong with notifications? Don't get any when get quoted?

Ah so now comes the part when we all say we predicted it, after months of totally not predicting it!
I never liked the idea of Fellaini in United. Well, even now I don't. But no-one can deny that he isn't good footballer. If he can adopt and become more prolific with his runs and getting in goal scoring positions that he would be first choice for me without a shadow of a doubt.

Are we looking at any RB at the moment? I've only heard news about us following CMs and LBs but never a RB.

Coleman is the only name I heard, but given how he always likes to play, and the fact that he wants to play Jones Smalling and Evans as centre backs, a right back must surely be on the list.

Here's something to bring some cheer to the thread right now.

FA Cup quarter final latest: Manchester City 0 Wigan Athletic 2

Coleman is the only name I heard, but given how he always likes to play, and the fact that he wants to play Jones Smalling and Evans as centre backs, a right back must surely be on the list.

Makes you wonder what position isn't on the list!

Possibly striker, but then the rumours of RVP off at the end of the season would make us need someone, if they were true of course.

Apart from GK and no.10 I genuinely can't think of any others that can't be improved! Really hope we get a great CM obviously, creative.

But also a wide-player with a bit of magic about him... ok Zaha could be that but someone a bit more developed and ready to play for a club at the top-level. Not asking for much ;)

Although we do have Nani.. just thought of that... maybe not then.

So i caught up on the game and not sure what y'all are so excited about. WBA was so god **** awful, a team of nuns on rollerskates would do better job at defending the third goal.

Actually, the general consensus on this forum in his first few games was that yes, he wasn't playing well, but give him time and he'd eventually get his act together.

He sure takes his sweet time to adapt, considering he's playing in the same league, for the same manager, in a team in the same league position as the one he left.

He sure takes his sweet time to adapt, considering he's playing in the same league, for the same manager, in a team in the same league position as the one he left.

In a different city, with different players, a different system and different expectations...

Luis Nani 2007 - 2014 Skills & Goals HD @LuisNani - YouTube this is why he should be trusted to save our season atm love nani hes pure gold when given a run of games also look at him in the euros he was easily 1 of their best players also vs madrid in champions league b4 the ridiculous red card he was just tearing through that team like scissors thru paper

Finally someone else who loves Nani as much as me. <3

In a different city, with different players, a different system and different expectations...

And he was carrying an injury for his first games.

That goes for any transfer though. As far as adaptation goes he has it smooth.

Not really. It's not the same to play for a team that (and it pains me to say it) doesn't really have any hope of winning, well, anything, and you're also one of the best players in that team (arguably the best), than to play for a team where you're expected to challenge for every possible trophy, where your role in the team is different... well, you get the point.

Worst case scenario of Jones/Smalling at right back is awful. It's like using Carrick as a 4th choice CB. We will need another right back in the summer unless Varela is good enough to provide cover. Can't say i've seen much of him but he isn't getting a sniff at the squad even when Rafa is out which isn't a great sign when you consider how appalling Smalling is as a right back.

Well I said worst case scenario, not a second or third choice.

Doesn't matter how many RBs we sign, worst case scenario is Jones/Smalling playing as RB.

I don't think Varela is good enough for regular first team next season, we can use him in Europa league games (if we qualify) and League cup games. Varela and Janko are highly rated, hopefully they get a chance to show what they are capable of for first team.

If Rafael stays fit then he will play almost every game, so every now and then against lesser oppositions at home we can play Varela or Janko. Much better to promote from within rather than signing players like Buttner.

Back