The Manchester United Thread

When asked about this future ahead of the Champions League last-16 second leg against Arsenal, he said: "No decision has been made. It is no secret that the Premier League is a possibility for me."
Asked if he would consider a move to a team that not in the Champions League – with United in mind, Kroos replied: "I will consider everything. If I should leave."

I'm very much sure that he will sign new deal with Bayern but can't fault Moyes when it comes to identifying the type of players needed for ManUtd.

If (that's a big IF) we can pull it off then it would be up Mataesque transfer. Absolutely amazing and this would be even better as he is a CM.

I'm very much sure that he will sign new deal with Bayern but can't fault Moyes when it comes to identifying the type of players needed for ManUtd.

If (that's a big IF) we can pull it off then it would be up Mataesque transfer. Absolutely amazing and this would be even better as he is a CM.

Our chances are slim to none, and slim just left town. But as long we are looking at other targets, and not solely focused on him ( lessons learnt from Fabregas?) certainly worth pursuing. But should be done or dropped early. No ******* about into august.

Our chances are slim to none, and slim just left town. But as long we are looking at other targets, and not solely focused on him ( lessons learnt from Fabregas?) certainly worth pursuing. But should be done or dropped early. No ******* about into august.

I don't think he will sign for anyone before world cup, it might be like Thiago and Ozil's case, sign after the WC.

Yeah we should be looking at alternatives, something that we didn't do in summer. Some one who is mobile and creative player to play next to Fellaini or maybe 2 CMs. Fellaini, 2 new CMs along with Carrick as our midfielders for next season and again in worst case Cleverley.

Thing is all these players we re supposedly after Kroos, Gundogan etc are also seemingly wanted by Real Madrid (esp Gundogan) so unlikely to get them.

And that will be our problem in summer: people who we will (should) be after are of top calibre and such players are wanted by the Reals and Barcelonas of this world and this summer I struggle to see a reason for such players to choose to come to us.

Also Id much rather we spend really big on 2/3 players 30+m rather than bring in more but cheaper.

Thing is all these players we re supposedly after Kroos, Gundogan etc are also seemingly wanted by Real Madrid (esp Gundogan) so unlikely to get them.

And that will be our problem in summer: people who we will (should) be after are of top calibre and such players are wanted by the Reals and Barcelonas of this world and this summer I struggle to see a reason for such players to choose to come to us.

Also Id much rather we spend really big on 2/3 players 30+m rather than bring in more but cheaper.

I don't think Madrid will be interested in Gundogan. They have Modric who is arguably the best CM in La Liga this season and invested heavily on Illarramendi who looks like a good player. Also Modric Gundogan duo would be very light in the midfield and might lack balance.

I have no interest in Gundogan right now, he has serious injury issues. I see your point, but remember they can't buy all the players (not even Madrid).

I don't think he will sign for anyone before world cup, it might be like Thiago and Ozil's case, sign after the WC.

Yeah we should be looking at alternatives, something that we didn't do in summer. Some one who is mobile and creative player to play next to Fellaini or maybe 2 CMs. Fellaini, 2 new CMs along with Carrick as our midfielders for next season and again in worst case Cleverley.

I'm not sure I would sign 2 CM's, rather, I would bring back Powell. Need one excellent CM in there with Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Powell, Cleverley. Season after can start to think about who might replace Carrick.

I'm not sure I would sign 2 CM's, rather, I would bring back Powell. Need one excellent CM in there with Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Powell, Cleverley. Season after can start to think about who might replace Carrick.

Woah.. Not sure how I forgot Powell. Yeah, next season Carrick shouldn't be first choice IMO. It should be Fellaini and the new CM, Powell and Carrick as back ups. With our injury luck we will be needing Fletcher and Cleverley for sure.

I love Carrick and what he has contributed till date but it's time we move on. He will be 33 by the start of the season so it's time we start building for the future. We need more mobile players and younger ones too.

I have no interest in Gundogan right now, he has serious injury issues. I see your point, but remember they can't buy all the players (not even Madrid).

True they cant plus as sunilvk7 said they already have Modric, Illarramendi and Isco.

True they cant plus as sunilvk7 said they already have Modric, Illarramendi and Isco.

As long as we are flexible, we should be able to hit targets in each positions we want, though CM is still toughest of the lot. Scouting suggests we are being so. On Kroos, many commentators feel that a) he would certainly want to stay at Bayern rather than move but b) is serious about being paid what he is (almost certainly) worth, wherever he is.

Also we are the only PL side interested in Benatia, so we need to 100% make that count, because he has it all.

Makes you wonder what position isn't on the list!

Possibly striker, but then the rumours of RVP off at the end of the season would make us need someone, if they were true of course.

Apart from GK and no.10 I genuinely can't think of any others that can't be improved! Really hope we get a great CM obviously, creative.

But also a wide-player with a bit of magic about him... ok Zaha could be that but someone a bit more developed and ready to play for a club at the top-level. Not asking for much ;)

Although we do have Nani.. just thought of that... maybe not then.
If Van Persie leaves, then you could just play Chicharito/Welbeck instead, who are both capable players. Bringing in a backup may help, but I don't think you need to sign a striker to replace him. Centre-back is also fine, you've got enough depth and quality there, with Ferdinand, Jones, Smalling and Evans. If Ferdinand leaves, a replacement may be needed, although you could always give a promotion to someone like Michael Keane to save money.

If Rafael stays fit then he will play almost every game, so every now and then against lesser oppositions at home we can play Varela or Janko. Much better to promote from within rather than signing players like Buttner.
At this rate, there won't be any 'lesser opposition' to you next season! ;)

What would happen if you signed two new midfielders? Surely you'd end up with too many - Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverley, Fletcher and two others are a lot, especially when Jones and Giggs (if he hasn't retired by then) can also fill in there.

As long as we are flexible, we should be able to hit targets in each positions we want, though CM is still toughest of the lot. Scouting suggests we are being so. On Kroos, many commentators feel that a) he would certainly want to stay at Bayern rather than move but b) is serious about being paid what he is (almost certainly) worth, wherever he is.

Also we are the only PL side interested in Benatia, so we need to 100% make that count, because he has it all.

Id absolutely love KROOS tho I dont think he ll come I think he's using us to press Bayern to pay him more. As for Benatia you seem to know all about him so I defer to your judgment. I still think we should pay the big dosh and get Mangala tho.

I think we have a huge star in the making in Reserves! Watched them tonight and James Wilson is gonna be some player, scored hatrick tonight all good goals and his 1st was a belter. Im always very encouraged watching our Reserves lately they play some good football and very good in possession and are all comfetable taking the ball in tight areas. Varela should defo go out on loan next season imo. And Rothwell impresses me more and more reminds me so much of Iniesta how he can just glide past players and has great passing short and long. Pearson,Janko,Periera also very impressive. A lad called Tosin Kahende came on for Wilson in 2nd half a young Nigerian who can play at CB/CM was his debut at the age of 16 for the u21s very highly rated at club.

As far as you know, anyway. Thing is, I'm not sure Benatia, in this stage of his career, would want to move to United if you don't make the CL and Roma do. It's quite interesting that Roma are currently on a level with United in terms of attractiveness.

As far as you know, anyway. Thing is, I'm not sure Benatia, in this stage of his career, would want to move to United if you don't make the CL and Roma do. It's quite interesting that Roma are currently on a level with United in terms of attractiveness.

Short term attractiveness, sure. Long-term it looks rather grim. Serie A is on its **** , and Roma fall apart without Totti who is so old he could be Eto's dad.

Short term attractiveness, sure. Long-term it looks rather grim. Serie A is on its **** , and Roma fall apart without Totti who is so old he could be Eto's dad.

Right, but there's plenty of other much more attractive suitors than United who will move for him if United do. It's not just a one on one thing.

What would happen if you signed two new midfielders? Surely you'd end up with too many - Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverley, Fletcher and two others are a lot, especially when Jones and Giggs (if he hasn't retired by then) can also fill in there.

Not really. If we assume Powell goes on Loan to a PL club then we would be fine. Fellaini, New CM1, New CM2, Carrick. Giggs will retire and we don't want fillers like Jones to play as CM. We can when we need someone to man mark but those are rare games.
It's all fairy tale for Fletcher to come back to full fitness but we just can't rely him to make up the number for whole season.

So we would end up with 5 CMs if we sign 2 CM and retain Cleverley.

Not really. If we assume Powell goes on Loan to a PL club then we would be fine. Fellaini, New CM1, New CM2, Carrick. Giggs will retire and we don't want fillers like Jones to play as CM. We can when we need someone to man mark but those are rare games.
It's all fairy tale for Fletcher to come back to full fitness but we just can't rely him to make up the number for whole season.

So we would end up with 5 CMs if we sign 2 CM and retain Cleverley.

I'd rather we sign one good CM, and develop Powell. Fellaini + New CM starters;; Carrick/Cleverley/Powell as rotation, with Fletcher and Giggs (if he retires, then place Cleverley here, unless he improves his style of game dramatically) as backup. That'd actually be pretty good;;

2 CMs would be rather expensive, considering we also need a LB, CB maybe an RB, and probably a winger as well, unless we keep Valencia/Nani;; I'd rather Nani was kept rather than Valencia, but that's just me..

But, but, United is so unattractive now. W-who would want to mess with Untied now :(

Back