The Manchester United Thread

IIRC don't Roma have financial issues so it may be a case of having to sell? I know they got what about 30 million for lamela but I'm sure they have financial problems not Valencia size problems but problems nonetheless similar to a few Italian clubs when the tv deal went **** up a few years back

As far as I know no. They have the american owners who've been around couple years now and with sales of Lamela and Marquinho they are pretty well off. They might sell, but not cheaply.

It's usually a lot of cash, though, and as TheFalse9 pointed out City (and you can probably add Monaco and PSG to that list, as a promising French defender won't go unnoticed by those two) can offer more money in the bidding war that is sure to ensue (and that Porto will be only too happy to encourage).

So on top of being handicapped in the transfer market by our "performance" this season (and you know who I think is mainly to blame for that), and from the resultant fact that no continental will join us for the charms of Manchester and/or to play under Moyes we are also handicapped by the fact that financially we cant get the top players due to financial reasons.

This is not news to me obviously. It just makes our predicament all the more difficult to get out of as Ive been saying ...

But thankfully as Mike pointed out the richer teams cant buy everybody and eg Benatia is probs more ready made than Mangala.

To change the subject what do you all think we ll do vs OLYMPIACOS and LFC?

I actually think you will just scrape through against olympiakos, Liverpool that's a really difficult one to call either way.

Robin van Persie:

The truth is I'm very happy here at this club. I signed for four years and I'd be delighted to stay even longer.
I'm happy with my team mates and I'm happy with the staff. The training sessions are really good and I'm learning everyday.
MOYES' SESSIONS AND THE THINGS HE SAYS IN TEAM MEETINGS ARE SPOT ON. I REALLY ENJOY WORKING UNDER HIM.

Oooooh Robin van Peeeeersie!

Quotes taken from Manutd.com - Robin van Persie: I'm happy and want to stay - Official Manchester United Website

Love that last quote.

Yeah well, he's not going to speak out against his manager in your club's official website, is he...

I'm not saying he doesn't like Moyes or anything, and I'm definitely not in the "Moyes sucks" brigade, just pointing out a simple FACT.

Yeah well, he's not going to speak out against his manager in your club's official website, is he...

I'm not saying he doesn't like Moyes or anything, and I'm definitely not in the "Moyes sucks" brigade, just pointing out a simple FACT.

There is a difference in any other interview and the one RVP gave..

He could have just said I'm happpy and done with it but he addressed few points that media just assumed.

Last edited:

He's directly referred to rumours about him wanting to leave, it wasn't just a generic statement. Very positive interview.

He's directly referred to rumours about him wanting to leave, it wasn't just a generic statement. Very positive interview.

Still not convinced. His general demeanour and performances show something else ...

Still not convinced. His general demeanour and performances show something else ...

Everyones ( bar De Gea) performances are down, and everyone is a bit ****** off. Because we're doing badly by our standards. Doesn't mean they all want out. he didnt have to go the lengths he did to say this. Been far more open than Rooney was, all he said was that he was happy with his football.

Everyones ( bar De Gea) performances are down, and everyone is a bit ****** off. Because we're doing badly by our standards. Doesn't mean they all want out. he didnt have to go the lengths he did to say this. Been far more open than Rooney was, all he said was that he was happy with his football.

Who said anything about all mate, Im just not convinced RVP's heart is in it anymore ...

Who said anything about all mate, Im just not convinced RVP's heart is in it anymore ...

Van Persie was at Arsenal before us, who weren't in a much better state than we are atm in terms of winning trophy's with the exception of us not getting champions league football, but this is the only year in a very long time that we haven't. I don't think he's so fickle as to suddenly want to leave. If anything he's happy to have won a trophy and happy to be on the wage he is until probably the end of his career.

Man Utd will bounce back. Fact. We might not win the title for a few years, but this is definitely a one off in terms of not reaching champions league football. Look at Brendon Rodgers at Liverpool, Liverpool finished how low when he took over? and now look at them. Moyes has a different philosophy and approach, that will take time to get the players to adapt to. Maybe he should have slowly moved into his philosophy from SAF's but that can't be expected of a manager.

If Moyes misses out on Champions League football again next season, then get rid of him. Meanwhile we are still one of the most profitable clubs in the world and regardless of what people think, the money is there to become a Chelsea or a Man City if it's needed, but it's not and that's not what the fans want. I just think people need reminding that in the worst case scenario, there is still a bail out fund left for whatever manager picks up the pieces.

Van Persie was at Arsenal before us, who weren't in a much better state than we are atm in terms of winning trophy's with the exception of us not getting champions league football, but this is the only year in a very long time that we haven't. I don't think he's so fickle as to suddenly want to leave. If anything he's happy to have won a trophy and happy to be on the wage he is until probably the end of his career.

Very reasonable points but:

1. Footballers are not the most reasonable human beings.
2. I dont think he wants to leave cos we did badly one season there may be other reason.
3. His demeanour so far shows me he is troubled at the very least.

Man Utd will bounce back. Fact. We might not win the title for a few years, but this is definitely a one off in terms of not reaching champions league football. Look at Brendon Rodgers at Liverpool, Liverpool finished how low when he took over? and now look at them. Moyes has a different philosophy and approach, that will take time to get the players to adapt to. Maybe he should have slowly moved into his philosophy from SAF's but that can't be expected of a manager.

1. I know its the party line to say/believe we' ll bounce back but I dont think it will be easy to do so.
2. Brendan Rodgers took over LFC when they were ridiculous/comical and in the wilderness for more than 10 years. Absolutely no comparison mate.
3. Everybody seems to refer to Moyes' philosophy (and approach). Has he shown us even an inkling of what that might be?! Dont think so.

If Moyes misses out on Champions League football again next season, then get rid of him. Meanwhile we are still one of the most profitable clubs in the world and regardless of what people think, the money is there to become a Chelsea or a Man City if it's needed, but it's not and that's not what the fans want. I just think people need reminding that in the worst case scenario, there is still a bail out fund left for whatever manager picks up the pieces.

1. So you ll be satisfied if we dont win the league for the second season running but, say, come third? Is this the Arsenal forum?
2. Yes we are profitable but have the owners ever shown a proclivity to spend big consistently? We cant compare with Chelski and ****** on that front mate (not necessarily a bad thing, mind).
3. Well yes, there is a bail out fund but money is not the only thing to get you out of a downward spiral mate. Check how much LFC spent in the naughties (never mind what that pillock BENITEZ claimed) you ll see its a ****** lot ...

Anyway we ABSOLUTELY must beat LFC on Sunday to kill their momentum. If we are to return to the top/cl places next season we dont want them mentally strengthened by going close to winning the EPL or even winning it ...

Very reasonable points but:

1. Footballers are not the most reasonable human beings.
2. I dont think he wants to leave cos we did badly one season there may be other reason.
3. His demeanour so far shows me he is troubled at the very least.

1. Based on?
2. Who knows.
3. I absolutely love how everyone suddenly claims to be a body language expert when it comes to footballers.
1. So you ll be satisfied if we dont win the league for the second season running but, say, come third? Is this the Arsenal forum?
2. Yes we are profitable but have the owners ever shown a proclivity to spend big consistently? We cant compare with Chelski and ****** on that front mate (not necessarily a bad thing, mind).
3. Well yes, there is a bail out fund but money is not the only thing to get you out of a downward spiral mate. Check how much LFC spent in the naughties (never mind what that pillock BENITEZ claimed) you ll see its a ****** lot ...
1. Fergie once went 3 - THREE - seasons without winning the league. How dare we let him get away with that. 3rd would be a relatively solid season with how many new signings we need to make in the summer.
2. You mean like when they smashed our transfer record in January?
3. We're an awful lot richer and one of the best placed clubs in the world to compete in the FFP era.

Attempting to compare to Liverpool or whatever, is just silly - they do spend a lot but most of the money came from offloading the deadwood and from Rafa's endeavors in the Champions League. They never had anything that would even resemble 200m warchest just lying around Anfield.

Financially United isn't even in the same league, they could buy 4 Liverpools and still have enough money for Bale Ronaldo and Messi. And I'm not exaggerating.

1. Based on?
2. Who knows.
3. I absolutely love how everyone suddenly claims to be a body language expert when it comes to footballers.

1. Fergie once went 3 - THREE - seasons without winning the league. How dare we let him get away with that. 3rd would be a relatively solid season with how many new signings we need to make in the summer.
2. You mean like when they smashed our transfer record in January?
3. We're an awful lot richer and one of the best placed clubs in the world to compete in the FFP era.

Its stupid to point to Fergie's barren run at the start of his reign and use that as evidence on why we should give Moyes more time. Things were vastly different during Fergie's time. United were not reigning champions when he took over. A culture of drinking existed in the dressing room. United were certainly not the footballing or commercial behemoth that they are today. Contrast that to when Moyes took over. United won the league at a canter last season. He has a dressing room full of champions and United are easily one of the biggest if not the biggest footballing club in the world today

Expectations on Moyes will always be higher than they ever were on Fergie at the start of their respective reigns and rightfully so

Its stupid to point to Fergie's barren run at the start of his reign and use that as evidence on why we should give Moyes more time. Things were vastly different during Fergie's time. United were not reigning champions when he took over. A culture of drinking existed in the dressing room. United were certainly not the footballing or commercial behemoth that they are today. Contrast that to when Moyes took over. United won the league at a canter last season. He has a dressing room full of champions and United are easily one of the biggest if not the biggest footballing club in the world today

Expectations on Moyes will always be higher than they ever were on Fergie at the start of their respective reigns and rightfully so

I was being facetious. And I was talking about 2003-06.

Woaaaahhhhhhh.....

I was being facetious. And I was talking about 2003-06.

The period when Chelsea had an unprecedented rise to become a genuine footballing rival ... Anothe problem that Moyes hasn't had to deal with

Back