The Manchester United Thread

My mancrush on Giggs has almost no limits, but Bayern's midfield would eat him alive. Lets hope Moyes isn't crazy enough to actually try and start him.
Also, let's hope Moyes doesn't really "go for it" like many here seem to suggest. Defends, waits and pounces on the counter.

If he really does "go for it" and allows the space for Bayern to pass and penetrate, you'll be in for a long, long night.

I went to the game last night with my mate who is a west ham fan and Rooneys goal wow I felt privileged to be in the stadium to witness that moment of magic from a world class player. I was saying to my mate funnily enough before the game the amount of times I have seen Rooney play live and I have still never witnessed him score but he definitely made it worth the wait that's for sure!

Oh and again without RVP we played some fantastic stuff, pace, tempo, counter attacking was so good to watch.
And again it has nothing to do with RVP not playing. We had pace on the wings, clever players on the pitch and mobile midfielder. Fletcher is quicker and has better mobility than Carrick. He doesn't have his passing range, but his energy and composure suits this United better than Carrick. And when you have some pace in midfield, it helps offensive players to find wholes in defense, since it takes longer to close Fletcher down than Carrick.

I was impressed with Fletcher last night, he was pretty good both off and on the ball, always available and rarely making mistakes and giving the ball away. He can be crucial for Bayern game.

I see no problem with Buttner at LB, he plays no worse than someone unsuited for the role will, and the experience will help him. Would love to see a winger moved there rather than a CB though. Giggs maybe? he's suited to the left, a lot more defensive these days. Who knows, but Buttner would work.

Why not go attacking against Bayern? they won't expect it, and at least we go out fighting (with a small chance of winning) Going defensive will lead to humiliation and we all know it.

I say go for a 4-2-3-1 with Carrick and Fellaini in CM. Mata in Cam. Rooney up front. Nani and Januzaj on the wings. Just go for it.

I can guarantee you the look of shock on peps face if juan mata starts........

Lots of Rumours today in lots of media/papers etc that William Carvalho deal is all but agreed. Don't know if true or not but hope so!

Lots of Rumours today in lots of media/papers etc that William Carvalho deal is all but agreed. Don't know if true or not but hope so!

Seen a few saying city are trying to hijack the deal too, tbh not seen alot of him is he worth the 25-30 million valuation that people are throwing around

On the outset, Carvalho deal seems like an excellent option, but it is a bit too much for a such a young DM, especially since there are rumours that Moyes may get a CM too.. CM, LB, CB, maybe a winger will definitely be wringing it a bit tight..

Buttner wont play, I hope. We should play a deep 4-3-3 with 4 defenders, one DM, two CM's, No AM's, LW, PW, ST.
GK: David De Gea
LB: Johnny Evans
LCB: Nemanja Vidic
RCB: Phil Jones
RB: Rafael Da Silva
DM: Marouane Fellaini
RCM: Micheal Carrick
LCM: Jaun Mata (Free Roamer)
LW: Adnan Januzaj/Ryan Giggs
RW: Antonio Valencia/Nani
ST: Wayne Rooney

-Since RVP is injured for 6 weeks then we'll need to change tactics and bring Wayne into his natural Striker role

And no, Rafael seems convincingly uncomfortable when I've seen him LB, although he's not been there for a while

Edit: Change Mata For Rooney, Ignore the RVP Bit and put welbeck in striker

Ew no. Please no Welbeck as striker. I've never really liked him as a striker for United, too many lapses of concentration in front of goal. Better as a Left Winger, with his pace and energy. Buttner for LB, with very strict instruction to stay back most times, Fellaini, Fletcher and Carrick in CM, Welbeck/Valencia in wings and Rooney upfront. Cleverley can be brought on later, we'll probably need the pass circulation against Bayern.

Last edited:
Carvalho deal seems to be getting around quite a bit now, what do you guys think of it?

Carvalho deal seems to be getting around quite a bit now, what do you guys think of it?

I'm not too sure why we needed Carvalho. He's a proper Defensive Midfielder, and how Moyes will incorporate that in his tactics is still remaining to be seen. Since it's such a high-profile transfer, he'll be wanting regular games, not just the difficult away games, so who will be sacrificed remains to be seen..

I would still have been happy with Fellaini + a proper CM (Kroos/Gundogan). Fellaini can hold, and the other CM can go ahead and attack.

Two seasons ago, that was exclusively Carrick's job....how times have changed.

Well, the only thing Cleverley does is keep the ball and try to give it to the person beside him, so.. yeah. Against the Bayern of Guardiola, that might actually be useful. Carrick has always been the semi-BTB when we needed him, although his scoring record isn't that great;;

On a side note, there are rumours that Hummels wants to move to Barca.. again! If only he'd come to United.. ****! That'd be pretty good. Although he does lose concentration, he's still very solid at the back.. A Hummels and Jones CB will be kickass..

Last edited:
Maybe the only position where we can cope with the loss of world class player.

It's time to test Rooney and Mata combination or Welbeck as lone striker with Rooney, Mata, Januzaj/Kagawa/Nani behind.
What about Hernandez? Everyone forgets about him, but he's as potent as Van Persie on his day, he just doesn't really get the chance to show it.

I never claimed Im a better fan than anybody actually. All I did was claim two "facts":

1. I hate LFC.
2. Most people who support Man Utd hate LFC (and I believe the same applies vice versa).
I didn't mean you specifically, I just meant in general.

Ew no. Please no Welbeck as striker. I've never really liked him as a striker for United, too many lapses of concentration in front of goal. Better as a Left Winger, with his pace and energy. Buttner for LB, with very strict instruction to stay back most times, Fellaini, Fletcher and Carrick in CM, Welbeck/Valencia in wings and Rooney upfront. Cleverley can be brought on later, we'll probably need the pass circulation against Bayern.
Fletcher against Bayern probably won't work due to his fitness still being questionable. He's undeniably a top player when he's fully fit (or at least pre-injury) who could run for days, but putting him up against Bayern's midfield, who play such an intense passing game, probably won't do United any favours.

Sporting portugal.
Although it's not their official name, it's still the same club - so your point about them not knowing who William Carvalho plays for is wrong.

Back