The Manchester United Thread

Just saw that we were actually the best team away from home this season. Our home form however is a pathetic 12th in the league. We need to find our footing back at home and what better time to start it than against City?

Ew no. Please no Welbeck as striker. I've never really liked him as a striker for United, too many lapses of concentration in front of goal. Better as a Left Winger, with his pace and energy.

See, you say that, but this season he's been great when he's played as a striker. In the seven games he's played up front, he's scored five and assisted one. Compare that to on the left wing, where he's had one goal in five apps.

Welbeck's a striker, and sooner or later United need to start playing him as one regularly, because he's getting better and better at it.

See, you say that, but this season he's been great when he's played as a striker. In the seven games he's played up front, he's scored five and assisted one. Compare that to on the left wing, where he's had one goal in five apps.

Welbeck's a striker, and sooner or later United need to start playing him as one regularly, because he's getting better and better at it.

Probably so, but definitely not now. Maybe start playing him in the PL, give him some decent time as a striker, and then maybe.. yeah. Directly introducing Welbeck as a striker against Bayern can be suicidal, especially when there is a better finisher on a high recently in Rooney. Welbeck is faster than Young atm, so Welbeck's pace will be better off there, where he can link up with Rooney and maybe Kagawa.

But this is Moyes we're talking about, so he'll likely again conveniently forget Rooney is actually a brilliant striker, and play him as a No.10 with Welbeck upfront, and ignore Kagawa completely :\. But then again, we probably won't be playing a high tempo game, so dropping Kagawa could be justified then.

Incidentally, there are wild (rubbish) rumours that Madrid may go for De Gea as a LT option instead of Lopez or Casillas. Wild, but lol;;

Anyhow, if you had to set a team for us for next season, after transfers, who would you rather it consists of?

Exactly. Welbeck is a striker and his record is good when played as striker. I'm sure he has 1 in 2 games as striker and also his pace and physical presence is very much needed. He can make runs and stretch the defense.

Welbeck as a LW is very average for whatever reason (maybe people judge him by his numbers as he is a striker) but Welbeck as a striker is very good player.

I see Bayern will have part of there stadium closed for match against us after homophobic behaviour by there fans. Could be good for us with a less noisey crowd.

I know this is completely random but why did SAF decide to let Gerard Pique leave united all those years ago? Did they fall out or did he just not think he would fit into the team?

I know this is completely random but why did SAF decide to let Gerard Pique leave united all those years ago? Did they fall out or did he just not think he would fit into the team?

think it was something to do with saf thinking pique could not hack it in the prem or something

think it was something to do with saf thinking pique could not hack it in the prem or something

Neither of those things.

It was clear to everyone just how good Pique would be, but his contract was expiring and his heart was at Barca, who were offering him a chance to play at his boyhood club. On top of that, there were about three or so defenders ahead of Pique in the pecking order who were all going on to play for at least half a decade more. It was best for both parties.

Neither of those things.

It was clear to everyone just how good Pique would be, but his contract was expiring and his heart was at Barca, who were offering him a chance to play at his boyhood club. On top of that, there were about three or so defenders ahead of Pique in the pecking order who were all going on to play for at least half a decade more. It was best for both parties.

No it wasnt. It was a mistake letting him go. His class was obvious from when he was with us and as soon as he left us he walked straight in the starting XI of what was the best Barca (team?).

Oh well, at least it wasnt as unfathomable as not giving Pogba more game time when the few times we did his class stuck out like a sore thumb, leading him to want to leave.

No it wasnt. It was a mistake letting him go. His class was obvious from when he was with us and as soon as he left us he walked straight in the starting XI of what was the best Barca (team?).

Oh well, at least it wasnt as unfathomable as not giving Pogba more game time when the few times we did his class stuck out like a sore thumb, leading him to want to leave.

It isn't exactly easy keeping a former Barca player with you, when he wants to move back to his former club. Barca to them is what Bayern is to German players - A Holy Grail. Take Fabregas as an example.

Pique pretty much had to go, look how long it took for United to start having problems at CB. 5 years after he left?

It isn't exactly easy keeping a former Barca player with you, when he wants to move back to his former club. Barca to them is what Bayern is to German players - A Holy Grail. Take Fabregas as an example.

So why did he allow us to poach him from them at such an early age?!

So why did he allow us to poach him from them at such an early age?!

I said go back to his former club. Young, bigger club, head-turning. Besides, United were way, way above the pecking order of Barca at that time. Remember, this was the same Barca that let both Cesc and Pique get poached. But Barca-sickness invariably follows for spanish Barcelona players.

Easy to say in hindsight, but even so keeping an unhappy Pique would've been pretty pointless. Moreover, consider how many minutes he got at Barca compared to what he would've at United. There's no telling how much slower he would've developed at United.

I think you need to educate yourself a bit on why Pogba left. If Mike wasn't currently stuck up a mountain somewhere in Andorra he'd probably be writing paragraphs about it in response.

Last edited:
Didnt Pogba pretty much make his mind up to leave over the Raphael incident?

Formation tonight (in my opinion): 41221
De Gea
Smalling (if Fit)
Ferdinand (if Fit)
Evans (if Fit)
Evra
Jones
Fellaini
Carrick
Mata
Januzaj / Kagawa (he had a good game against West Ham)
Rooney

So basically we are facing Man City with no proper fit defenders.

Last edited:
Formation tonight (in my opinion): 41221
De Gea
Smalling (if Fit)
Ferdinand (if Fit)
Evans (if Fit)
Evra
Jones
Fellaini
Carrick
Mata
Januzaj / Kagawa (he had a good game against West Ham)
Rooney

So basically we are facing Man City with no proper fit defenders.

2 defenders, Jones and Evans. Dont get your excuses in yet :p

I think United should have a good go, they're not expected to win (for the first time ever.. lol), with the postition and injuries, so why not, if they lose the team selection says why, and if they win, made mugs of would be champions. From a city point of view, putting a couple past a makeshift defence should go a long way for confidence on the run in, especially being at OT.

I think it evedent from the Livepool game, marking a space and movement if Fellani and Carrick be problem and with Nasri/Silva being much better at that than Sterling, that will be the worry for me from the red view.

I expect a score draw. Depending on Demichelis. :)

Should be a good game.

Back